I have more fun with film than with digital

<p>I went to school and learned the wet darkroom thing there too. Even back in the mid 80s I had a relative getting out of the hobby passing me his enlarger and kit. Later I bought more, bigger and better.<br>

Issue I see: Realistically I am limited to maximally 250 prints / year, assuming I could squeeze in a not too long darkroom session (= 6 prints) each week (minus vacations etc.). That 's all and doing nothing one week doesn't grant me an 8th day in the following one.<br>

Everything else would get lost(!) in my ever growing archives. No scans, no contact sheets, no nothing beyond a few keywords scribbled on the sleeve years ago.<br>

While film could be a fun project on the side or wherever it blends in, I really appreciate the ability to travel / party with friends and just pass them a copy of my RAW files instead of coming home and being entirely lost in my darkroom between household chores and the stuff piled up to await me at work. Yes, sharing RAWs is a bit unusual and a tad rude, but hey, they have Lightroom and stuff and are either skilled enough to tweak RAWs to taste or could mail me: "What's your take on "L1103483"? - I'm looking in focus on it and like my facial expression." 20 minutes vs. 3 spoiled weekends. = Great deal!<br>

I shoot at my pace, no matter what medium, as long as it permits a certain speed; I recall burning fifty 35mm frames during one pop song, with a pair of 2FPS winders attached. - Not sure if my moderate sized RAW buffers would permit that much so quickly. - With MF I might be limited to 3 rolls without a reloading assistant but that is still a lot.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I've found, however, that when I carry a digital camera with me, I feel numb the whole time. Im more focus on that lcd screen than the world around me.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Save up for a Leica <a href="http://us.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-M/Leica-M-D/Details?/switchlanguage/to/corposite_eng_us/142608">M-D</a>? - No screen and no darkroom hassle = best of both worlds combined? - No, I am not seriously recommending it. Who needs a color camera? - B&W is more fun in my eyes.<br>

There must be other ways to break one's chimping habit. - I always tell myself: I don't have batteries to waste on it and could miss my next shot ogling the previous one. Why should I shoot JPGs at all? - Getting the settings right in the field can be tricky, so its better to do things in PP, when there is time (In camera processing during the train ride home would be fine in my eyes, but I don't shoot my Fujis that frequently).<br>

Were you referring to your hunting instincts kicking in and your eye glued to your view finder, while you are waiting for your buffer to flush? - I know that feeling. - I carried film bodies along, to distract myself with shooting them in between, when I had just one DSLR that took a minute to write 5 frames.<br>

While there are celebrated established star photographers who apparently get away with never touching digital at all, like Jim Rakete or late Bill Cunningham, I think giving up digital entirely would be a counter social act of (financial) self harm these days. - If people want data / pixels, what are you going to do? - Use a scanner app in your or their smart phone? - I carry my real camera to not end staring at a silly smartphone screen. <br>

Playing devil's advocate: How much "world around you" do you get inside a wet darkroom?</p>

<p>I've been doing this for well over 65 years. I have been both a professional and amateur photographer. I have had professional darkrooms and the opportunity to work with one of the finest black and white photographers/printmakers. I have enjoyed it all. I made the transition from film to digital with a Nikon D-1 and an early Mac. I have never looked back. I find that I can do at least an order of magnitude more things digitally than I could with film. The cost factor alone would keep me with digital. Digital imaging has opened creative doors and vision that simply never would have been possible with film. At the same time I have a deep appreciation for things that are old (maybe being 75 years old has something to do with it). I like old cars, old airplanes and old people.<br>

My only advice is follow your passion. If it is film, that is where you should be. If it is digital, that is where you should be. Have you considered that maybe it is the banjo? I thought I was a really good photographer back in the day. Today I realize that I was only little more than competent. Today I work with digital imaging software developers and find that there is so much more to learn than I every thought possible and the learning is so rewarding.</p>

Well it is still about the 'music. ' to make a simple comparison.The harpsichord until the pianoforte and now the modern concert grand. All have adherents. Valveless horns before the valved horn which is the easier and satisfying to play as well..easier and more versatile.... Today we can still, if we wish- choose which variation of the playing instrument is more soul satisfying in generating the tunes and melodies. Though it gets harder to find live music with ancient instruments, but they are out there and are also valid forms, just not so popular for some reason which musicians can describe.... And that is the nature of all forms of audible and visual arts expression.

Patience. In two years come back and tell us what you decide is most satisfying BY THEN for you. Do not, as they say, " abandon ship" on any technology until you learn to play. Same advice I would give to the grand kids

<p> I shot film for many years and finally went digital. . I bought a couple camera's but found the digital thing about as much fun as watching paint dry so eventually I went back to film. There are no labs so I just shoot B/W film (HP5) and process at home. It's a fun hobby for me. <br>

So, just do what you enjoy. </p>

<p>OK, yes, the D7x00 can meter (A or M modes) with AI lenses. The D5x00 can't.</p>

<p>Keep the D7000, buy some used AI lenses and a used Nikon SLR. </p>

<p>Uses the AI lenses on both the D7000. You will have most of the feel of the film days, but without the cost of film and processing. Once you are used to them, start with the film SLR.</p>

<p>AI lenses have the coupling foot for pre-AI cameras, but you should try for an AI camera. The popular models are the FM and FE, and later FM2 and FE2. Earlier are the FT3 and EL2. <br>

You should be able to get one of those for less than $100, maybe a little more for FM2 and FE2.</p>

<p>You can get many good AI lenses for very low prices. I bought an AI 80-200 zoom for $10.</p>

-- glen