V600 at Epson vs at Amazon

<p>The V600 is $199.99 at Epson, after a $30 rebate. Free shipping. Extra 2-year warranty $35.95.<br /> Same price on Amazon. Extra 2-Year Protection for $14.61".<br /> Except for the difference in the price for the extended-warranty gimick, these appear to be the same.<br /> Any thoughts on whether to buy from Epson vs buying from Amazon?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Extended warranties are a big profit maker for the retailer as less than 1% of extended warranty purchase items fail within the extended warranty period. Manufacturer defects, if any, will show up within the manufacturer's warranty period. (14 years in retail, 6 at entry level management)<br>

Free shipping from Amazon has strings attached, Epson store does not.</p>

<p>BH Photo Video has the V600 at the same $199.99 price and gives you free expedited shipping. Unless you have Amazon Prime, it is a better deal.</p>

<p>Adorama has it for the $199.99 price with just free shipping, not expedited shipping.</p>

<p>As for the extended warranty, most credit cards double the manufacturer's warranty at no charge; it is one of the benefits of the credit card. I agree with Charles Monday about purchased extended warranties.</p>

<p>American Express extends warranties for a year at no additional cost if you use their card. They also cover other types of damages and losses. Call them to verify the full extent and limitations as their cards vary as to the coverages. Some bank visa cards do it also but I've only experienced losses on equipment purchased on my American Express card. (They picked up a $350 Geek Squad repair once after the Dell computer manufacturer's warranty ran out.) A friend had his $400 Nikon replaced be Amer Express. </p>

<p>Are you guys even convinced that "extended warranty" means the same thing all the time. Its likely that the service is provided via (different) insurance companies rather than being a simple extension to the manufacturers warranty period and under the same rules and processes. My guess is its hard to know what these providers are going to be like when it comes to answering the phone, agreeing repair, repair process and so on. Its hard to give advice on something unless you know what it really is. </p>

<p>David: It's true that American Express (AX) doesn't extend the warranty with the manufacturer. What it does is pay for the repair. For example, in the case of my failed computer, I called AX to explain the problem. I told them I was going to have the Geek Squad (Best Buy)repair company to come over my house to fix the computer. AX was amazingly helpful and courtesy as they always are. They told me to proceed. After the repair, I emailed a copy the Geek Squad paid receipt to AX and they credited my AX account for the full amount of the repair, around US$350. I think AX has a maximum amount of US$1500 for a calendar year. That's in America. I don't know what they do in other countries, or what VISA does for that matter. Check the terms of your credit cards or call them.(I usually buy on AX because of the great experience with them. VISA has similar terms too I believe, but I never had this issue with them. So I can't vouch for their rules. I stick with AX when I buy stuff.)</p>

<p>This is a great way of extending a one-year warranty to effectively two years at no additional cost. I do this on all my purchases of things that may break!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I ordered directly from Epson. I figure dealing with the manufacturer has a slight edge over dealing with a third-party seller.<br>

I also bought a 1-year extended warranty. My VISA has "Warranty Management", which appears to be almost a scam. One registers the product with "them", and then, with "a single phone call", they manage warranty service. I figure that single phone call explodes into N calls, N > 1. I might as well phone Epson.<br>

Epson has a service provider in Bellingham, MA. I am in So. NH. Shipping is $27.40, including insurance and the USPS $9.95 "fragile" fee. That's 13.7% of the purchase price. I don't know whether they stiff the customer for the return cost, which would make it 27.4% of the purchase price.<br /><br />Staples has the V600 for ths same price. They use Square Trade for warranty. Their website says 2-year plan is $16.99, 3-year plan is $19.99. However, beware Square Trade. As one or two commenters here noted, there are issues with these third-party service "extensions". Square says "Your plan begins on the date you purchased your item". Huh? Why bother?<br /><br />And reviews of third-party service-plan administrators are often unfavorable.<br /><br /><br>

Many, many thanks for responses to my question. I hope to return the favor.</p>

<p>Time to get a different credit card. I just checked the "Extended Warranty" provisions of my Citi card. Citi extends the manufacturer's warranty for 24 months up to 84 months total for manufacturer's warranty, any extended warranty you purchase, plus the Citi warranty.</p>

<p>There are some exceptions - no autos, boats, aircraft or other motorized vehicles or their accessories including tires; services; used items; land or buildings; plants or live animals; item for professional or commercial use; items without a manufacturer's warranty. There is a limit of $10,000 per item.</p>

<p>They will either repair or replace the item (which ever is less expensive) or reimburse you for the amount paid on your Citi card. It is their option. </p>

<p>It's not a bad deal that is free. </p>

<p>As for dealing with third party sellers, it depends upon the seller. I have never had any unresolved problems with B&H or Adorama. They can be a bit brusk at times; you just have to get use to dealing with New Yorkers <grin>. But my problems (the few that I have had) have always been resolved satisfactorily (I've been buying from both for over thirty years).</p>

• 3 weeks later...
<p>Scanner arrived as expected, and as expected, Fedex left the box outside. The box is a "store" box, i.e. not re-packed in a shipping carton. The box has hand-grip openings, so it is not sealed. Outside temperature was about 85; humidity also about 85. The scanner is in good shape, though.<br />Fedex delivered a second box containing two sheets of paperwork. The paperwork was not damaged, presumably because it was packed with air-bubble cushioning. (Chuckle.)<br /><br /></p>