Chrome vs Black lens?

attilio_dp

<p>I'd suppose the chrome versions to be older and (maybe) somewhat inferior to the black ones. - At least thats the case with Mamiya TLR lenses.<br>

Schneider have been around for ages and rather suggest binning their old (50s / 60s?) stuff instead of getting it refurbished. Thats what I am recalling from when my G-Claron needed a shutter CLA some 10 years ago.<br>

I have barely used my (of course) old Schneider LF lenses, but judging the one in my Retina II, I'm confident they 'll take pictures. - Sorry about the somewhat vague answer. I am an amateur and see LF as a hobby (option). - If you are seriously quality obsessed, I am sure it makes sense to get into details and published specs and maybe even contact Schneider's customer service. </p>

<p>This is actually an interesting question. When you say 'chrome ring', I assume you're talking about the metal housing of the front cell, which is chrome or black in different lenses.</p>

<p>A quick look at current ebay listings shows that the black-mount 121s tend to be newer, but the demarcation isn't clear-cut. For example, there's a 1969 lens with a chrome mount, and a 1968 Technika-badged lens with a black mount. By and large, though, it looks like Schneider changed the mount livery around the late 1960s.<em><br /></em></p>

<p>You can't make inferences on lens quality from the lens mount, other than that older lenses are, well, older. Buy on condition, and if you're patient, wait for a later multicoated lens to turn up. According to Schneider's website, they started multicoating the f/8 S-As in late 1978, which corresponds to a serial number of about 13400000. None of the 121s on ebay right now is multicoated.</p>

<p>Its most likely the cosmetics of the era of manufacture. I have two Symmar 210/370. The 10,517,xxx is late 1967 and has the chrome front barrel; the 11,843,xxx is between July 1970 and August 1972, possibly mid year 1971 and is all black. There is no other distinguishable differences between the two.<br>

I looked at the literature and white pages on photographic lens at Schneider's site and there is no mention of barrel finishes. <br>

https://www.schneideroptics.com/info/age_of_lenses/</p>

<p>I'm more prone to paying attention to the image (quality) vs whether it's chrome or black finish. My 121mm SA is black and it fits between Sept 77 and Oct 78...when it was made. I doubt that it will be much different from the chrome model....yet I'm reminded that the specs are somewhat different.</p>

<p>Les</p>

<p>chrome was an earlier run. if you take the serial number and go the schneider website<br>

you will be able to determine the "born date" of the lens. i'm not sure of the black barrel lenses<br>

but i know ( from having one ) sometimes the chrome barrelled lenses get schneideritis.</p>

• 4 months later...