Snap-on, no-twist rear lens caps?

david_r._edan

<p>Back in the day, when I bought the cheapo Nikkor 50/1.8D, it came with a simple snap-on rear lens cap. It was made from white translucent plastic and it would simply snap on, no alignment and twisting necessary.<br>

Where can I buy a bunch of these lens caps? If something even better exists I'd love to hear about it. And by "better" I mean no alignment, one-hand operation (on and off). *I already did some poking around, so I seriously doubt there's anything.<br>

I trust the people here to stay on topic. I'm not interested in anyone telling me how happy they are with their standard rear lens caps.<br>

Thanks.</p>

<p>I have one that came with a used lens -- I think it was something originally designed for another purpose. You might try measuring yours and looking up plastic caps by size. A variety of equipment comes with caps over pipes that will later be connected in order to keep things clean in transit. Good luck!</p>

<p>I had one or more of these. Don't know what I did with them. But I don't think they were intended to serve as a lens cap in regular use. Perhaps, Nikon didn't want to supply you with a regular cap, but had to protect the rear element in transit? Seems to me it was just the equivalent of bubble wrap or foam peanuts. </p>

<p>I finally did manage to find a few on ebay. I thought I'd be able to get half a bucket of those lens caps for under 5 bucks but the asking prices turned out to be stupid high. Originally I wanted to get one cap for every lens that I own and modify them all so that they would stay in place better, because 'as is' those cheap plastic covers do tend to fall off. Now, because of the ridiculous price tag I'm rethinking this whole situation.<br /> But seriously, there is no alternative to the standard bayonet-style design? Wouldn't it be great to do away with the twisting?<br /> 1. Hold the lens cap by the 2 springy pieces of plastic.<br /> 2. Gently squeeze them.<br /> 3. Place the cap over the rear of the lens.<br /> 4. Let go of the lens cap.<br /> 5. You're done.<br /> <br />*Just like the front lens cap. One-hand operation, on and off.<br /> Frankly, I'd be happy with just a simple snap-on/place-over design that stays in place even marginally better than the cheap, white "lens cover" I got with my 50/1.8D.</p>

<p>I know this is a long shot, so whatevs....<br /> But hey, if someone hasn't told me yet how much they love their standard Nikon twist-on lens caps - go right ahead!</p>

<p>Well, I didn't respond because you explicitely said you did not want to hear love for the twist on caps... but, yeah, especially the latest version work well for me, and come off easily one-handled. I never trusted the floppy soft plastic of the one you prefer (got it with a AF-D 50 f/1.8 and 28-80 f/3.3-5.6G), not solid enough to my taste.<br>

Seriously, take a look at the latest twist-on caps (I think they were introduced around 2012 somewhere), they've got more grip and are easier to twist on and off.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>But hey, if someone hasn't told me yet how much they love their standard Nikon twist-on lens caps - go right ahead!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It doesn't matter at all whether a million other people prefer something else. You might as well be the only person in the world who prefers a particular solution, but your own opinion is all that matters.</p>

<p>While I use the traditional rear lens caps, I can see that someone may prefer the connivance of a snap-on one, as long as they are cheap; if you lose it, just put on another one. When I travel, I bring along additional rear lens caps, as well as additional camera body caps (I actually prefer teleconverter front caps) and additional lens caps to fit the lenses I have with me.</p>

<p>If a snap on lens hood is what you want, I would suggest you look at the old metal HS-XX hoods for MF Nikkors. They are made of metal and are very robust, far more than the plastic ones of today. You will of course have to find one for the focal length lens you have and hopefully it has the same filter size. If not, you might consider a step up ring.</p>