M.Zuiko Lens for Landscape Photography

irin_tisking

<p>Hello<br>

I'm planning to get an Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II camera soon and need some advice on choosing a lens.<br>

<strong>Some background:</strong> this will be my first proper digital camera. Before this I used 35mm film and medium format cameras, I am not dropping film altogether, just want a digital alternative for day trips as I often go on hikes.<br>

Apart from knowledge of aperture, shutter speed and working in the darkroom, I don't have much techincal knowledge. In the past I would mainly use one lens, a 50mm. This time around, i'd like to get at least two lens, with budgeting I will get one lens at a time. <br>

<strong>Main uses:</strong><br>

1. Landscape photography with some video work. Would prefer one of the weather sealed ones. I am thinking maybe the M.Zuiko ED 14-150MM F4.0-5.6 II for the versatility? but would like to look at something less bulky also.<br>

2.Some portrait photography, a 2.8 aperture would be nice.<br>

in saying that I would rather first get a lens for landscape photography, then one for portrait. Could you please recommend one for each?<br>

<strong>Budget:</strong><br>

$500 max for each lens <br>

(planning to buy as part of bundle here: http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/lens_promotion) <br>

Would really appreciate your expert advice!</p>

<p>You will find that all Olympus (and Panasonic Lumix) lenses are excellent, even the lower priced ones. The primes are exceptional.</p>

<p>A 20mm focal length (40mm FOV) lens may be one you would find useful. The Panasonic f1.7 versions is an excellent lens in every regard and is quite affordable at around $200 used.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I have the same experience - almost exclusively medium format for years. I have the 12 - 40 2.8 which I think is exceptional. I have ordered, and will have in hand tomorrow, the 40 - 150 2.8. Neither meets your cost criteria, but may be worth considering. The reason I don't use primes is because I shoot a lot of moving water in mountain streams. Sometimes there is only one vantage point so the zooms are very handy. I also have the Lumix 20mm 1.7 which I use as a walk-around lens on an EM-10. It is also very good. I'm going to be taking a six-week trip through the Canadian Maritime provinces later in the summer, and hope to use all three extensively.</p>

<p>Thank you for suggestions! I think ill start of with the 14-42mm (wish I could get the 12-40 2.8 pro). Then maybe get the 45mm f1.8 m for Portraits. This is kinda of topic, but something I've noticed is that some of the sample images for the Olympus OM D cameras have a flat look about them. Is that something to do with switching to film? or the photographers skill? has any one else noticed this?</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<blockquote>

<p>"...I would rather first get a lens for landscape photography, then one for portrait. Could you please recommend one for each?"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>45mm f/1.8 Olympus lens (portrait)<br /> 20mm f/1.7 Panasonic lens (general subjects)<br /> 14mm f/2.5 Panasonic lens (landscape)</p>

<p> Olympus E-p300dtyG-562620184.JPG.4c8f13d39696a37cd024123be91c0027.JPG</div>

<p>I have two of those so far, the 45 and the 20. So amazing. LOVE them.<br /><br />At the wide end, I should get the 14, but honestly, 20 is my sweet spot for so much and I can stop the kit lens down to f5.6 and shoot at 14, so I haven't yet. I wish I'd known about that 20mm length (would have been 40 on full-frame 35mm and about 28 on DX) when I was shooting 35mm. I would have enjoyed life more.</p>

<p>I own an E-M1 with various lenses (my favorite go-to lens is the 12-40mm 1/2.8, which unfortunately you say is out of your price range). If I want to save some bulk I am really happy with the Panasonic 14mm 1/2.5. </p>
Christoph Geiss