split screen focusing

fhmillard

<p>I use it all the time with all of my SLR bodies, DSLR body, & TLR, except when I'm using a long telephoto (400 mm or greater). I also had my Leica Visoflex converted to a split focusing screen. Personally I find it significantly improved my hit rate when I began converting my gear.</p>

<p>I have replaced my split prism screens with plain screens (Mamiya M645 and Nikon FM2 and Nikon FE2). I see the utility of the prism for precision, but I prefer a clean screen for my casual snapshooting. I think I can focus much faster and make adjustments more quickly with a plain screen.</p>

<p>The OP said "the feature on the D810 and D5", so I think everyone else is talking about something different from what he is referring to. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Frank wants to know about the feature that is available in live view, when you magnify the two sides of the frame next to each other. It is used more for levelling than focusing, though.</p>

<p>yes, Oliver, I want to know about the split focus feature available in live view on the D810 and D5; <br>

'It is used more for levelling than focusing, though' - precisely what I assumed from the limited material offered by Nikon,so I want to know if anyone has used it, if it was helpful, and how to use it.</p>

Right. I think everyone misunderstood you because you

said split screen focusing, although the fact that you

mentioned the D810 and D5 should have been a clue.

Since I haven't used a camera with that feature, I have

no experience with it, but it can be used to level your

scene by lining up the two sides. If I understand correctly, currently there are too

many restrictions. You can only move the points up or

down together. If you could choose two points

independent of each other, it would be much more

useful for checking depth of field or focusing with

tilt/shift lenses.

• 3 weeks later...
<p>I used split screen focusing long ago on a Nikkormat FT3 and a Nikon FM2 and liked it. My eyesight was perfect then. Now I am farsighted and considering going retrograde and buying a Nikkormat EL or a Nikon FE. I think they will have the split screen focus. If so, does the use of that feature require vision correction? I don't think so, but I would enjoy confirmation. Otherwise I will probably need to buy a correction eyepiece. I am brand new to Photo.net so please forgive me if this question has been asked and answered a million times. Thanks.</p>