MF-28 Back for Nikon F5 > Concerns

david_r._edan

<p>Hey.</p>

<p>So, I've been thinking about shooting a project with my F5 that's just been sitting in my closet for years. Right now I don't have any time for it but I like to plan ahead.</p>

<p>Basically what I need is the ability to record the date and time in the metadata. And the only way to tell the F5 what date and time it is, is via a multi-function back such as the MF-28.</p>

<p>I did some poking around and came across this post from quite a while back:<br /> http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00Sku9<br /> <br />The last poster, who was (very) late to the party, pretty much establishes the very same problem as being something extremely common, at least in my view.<br /> I've reviewed the manual, to which a link was kindly provided in the same thread, and came across something very interesting, right there on the first page:</p>

<p>"NOTE: After five to six years of normal use, however, LCD's contrast may deteriorate and display information may begin to fade. Should this occur, contact an authorized Nikon dealer or service facility to have the display replaced at a nominal charge."<br /> How could they all have missed it? Or was that added later?<br /><br /> Is this for real? I mean, am I pretty much guaranteed to have to deal with this B.S. if I do decide to get this back? What are your thoughts on this and what are my options?<br /><br /> And another thing. Being able to imprint the date and time in between the frames is kind of cool but I don't really need it. The only other function with this back that would be useful to me is the ability of entering custom text for each of the exposures. That text can be recorded in the metadata, very much in the manner that the "Image Comment" behaves in my D800 (for example). There is, of course, other added functionality with this back, which would be nice to have, however, it is largely irrelevant, at least to my <em>current</em> situation.<br /><br /> My first choice is obviously the MF-28 but how about the MF-27? What I really need is the date and time. Does the MF-27 actually relay the information to the camera or is this back strictly for imprinting the date/time onto the film?<br /><br /> So.. What's the deal with the MF-28 and can I use the MF-27 instead, or does it also suffer from the same problem with its tiny LCD?<br /><br /> And by the way, what is the current "nominal charge" for replacing the LCD on the MF-28?<br /><br /> Thanks!</p>

<p>David, i also do have an F5, and i have removed the MF-28 and replaced with the original back.<br>

I could check if the user display LCD has faded, although it has not been used for maybe 12 years.<br>

The imprinting on the film is in my opinion not done with LCD. The MF-28 is powered by 2x CR2025 battery, the quality of the battery may also have influence on the visibility of the LCD display ...<br>

I do not know if all MF-28 backs suffered from the described problem. Long exposure to strong sunlight may have had influence as well. Reading your project plan, i would do this with a digital camera, way more possibilities to archive theimages with appropriate information, for instance with Adobe lightroom, and add tags to the images.</p>

<p> I had owned two F5's and had considered the MF-28 back, but decide to down load the data from the cameras metadata, which I don't believe is doable any more because the software for that was based on pre Windows 94.</p>

<p>Did some research and the MF-27 will only imprint the date between the frames. This can be a problem if you have your film developed by someone else and if you don't specify that film not be cut into 5 frame strips. The MF-28 will imprint date and time in differing sequences according to what type you want, in between the frame or within the image. On top of that it has a host of other options that I don't think are prurient to you'er need. </p>

<p> Just a suggestion, but why not pick up a used Nikon D1x or D2h for about $150.00(US) which will record what you need as far as date and time. Then for free download from Nikon's website the Capture NX-D editing software so can access the metadata which will have the date and time. Your going to spend as much on the data back as you would with ether of those two cameras.</p>

<p>Didn't want to go off topic but it looks like I have to clarify a few things.</p>

<p>I own several digital cameras, including DSLRs, the most advanced of which is the Nikon D800.<br>

<br />However, I need to use <strong>film</strong> for a specific project, which is not up for discussion.<br>

<br />I have to have the accurate date and time for each of the exposures in the metadata.</p>

<p>The only way to record that information is by installing and setting up an appropriate data back, the MF-28 or, maybe, the MF-27 (I don't know).</p>

<p>Evidently there are <strong>major</strong> issues with the MF-28.</p>

<p>What should I do about it?</p>

<p>---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br>

And BTW: This is how you access the metadata on the Nikon F5 in the year 2016:<br>

www.meta35.com/<br />www.youtube.com/watch?v=Janj7wKw2EQ</p>

<p>I have a couple of MF-28's and have not experienced any bleed of the LCD. I am aware of the Nikon warning, but it hasn't affected mine and they are quite old. I think you will enjoy using it. I don't think you will enjoy the MF-27 as much.<br>

If there is no bleed as yet, I wouldn't worry about it personally.</p>

<p>Stephen:<br /> I think that the LCD is largely affected by how long the unit is in actual use. If, for majority of its life the MF-28 is stored in some cool, dry and dark place, with no batteries in it, then it is likely to be operational for many years to come.<br /> Given there is no way of getting a brand new (unused, unopened) MF-28 Data back, there's no telling how much hassle-free time is left on any particular MF-28 unit, when bought used. It may very well be at the end of its rope and the seller may even know it. However, if the MF-28 powers up right there and then but does not the very next day, technically, it becomes my problem..<br /> So, really, I'm just trying to establish if there is a way of actually testing the MF-28 on the spot, in a way that would give me any kind of indication whether the unit is approaching the end of its life. Or better still: Was the issue with the LCD addressed and mitigated later in the production? When was the MF-28 discontinued and what serial number range should I be interested in?<br /> Also, does Nikon still service this product? How much does it cost to replace the LCD?<br /> <br />-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br /> The MF-28 is very chunky. It would add considerable weight to the already hefty F5. Since all I really need is to enter the date and time into the "onboard computer", the MF-27 seems like an option I should definitely consider, if I knew for a fact that there is, indeed, communication between <em>its clock</em> and the camera's CPU. Can anyone confirm this? I would also need to know that the LCD on the MF-27 does not fade away in the same manner that it does on the MF-28.</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

These LCD's will fade, bleed, die. Fact of life. When is up in the air, but they will fade.

My two MF-23 for F4 are still going strong. Both were purchased used, one was in real bad shape but still working after serviced by me.

The LCD on my guitar tuner lasted 7 years and now must be viewed from a different angle.

The LCD on my Fluke started acting up several years ago. The LCD on the kitchen appliance is also fading away.

Seems the electronic components inside start to loose efficiency and are not be able to power the matrix and uncoil the Liquid Crystals. Sometimes a fresh set of batteries helps. If not, not much you can do but replace components to try and bring it back to life.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid-crystal_display

So it is not how or why but when.

The LCD bleed of the F4 is another matter. Seal between plates giving up and letting the L in LC seep out.

Now does the back send the information to the camera, yes as there is no TIME / DATE setup in the F4 or F5, the time / date information comes from the data-back only and is passed on to the camera for inclusion in the meta-data per frame.

Marc

Hum!... Searched for Nikon Photo Secretary instructions to see what it says and found this little blurb :

" • You cannot store data for "Year/Month/Day/Hour/Minute/Second" or data

containing characters, unless the MF-28 is attached to the camera. "

After much reading it seems the MF-27 is imprint only. This goes along with all base data-backs compared to Multi-control backs (MF-28)

The MF-27 has only 6 contact point back to camera. The MF-28 has 8.

Marc

<p>Thanks, Marc!<br /> Well, I pretty much thought that that was the case with the MF-27, hoping to be wrong. I wouldn't judge this thing based on the number of contacts but you're probably right. Plus, that quote from the Photo Secretary's manual does indicate very strongly that the only way to input the date/time is, indeed, via the MF-28.</p>

<p>I couldn't find any information on the serial numbers and production dates of the MF-28. That info may be buried in those thousands of hits I get on google, where they talk about "Manual Focus" ("MF"), 28 mm lenses.</p>

<p>I still think that there's a decent chance that later-production MF-28 backs are much better in regards to the LCD longevity.</p>

<p><em>"...After five to six years of normal use, however, LCD's contrast may deteriorate..."</em></p>

<p>5 to 6 years? Why so specific? It sounds very suspicious. To me this indicates that there was a <strong>known defect</strong>, which they found out about some time into the production. If it is so, it is very likely that Nikon had fixed the problem later on.</p>

<p>And I'm not buying the "normal" electronic component deterioration, or however you want to call it. I have several "old" electronic devices with completely functioning LCD displays that have been on 24/7 for many, many years. But why go far? I have two F5 camera bodies, both of which were in heavy, professional use. One was manufactured in 1999, the other in 1996(!). To remind you, each has <em>three</em> separate LCD displays. In my case, they all work 100% to this day! That definitely tells you something about the quality of Nikon-branded LCDs.<br /> I'd say someone had screwed the pooch with the MF-28.<br /> If it was me and I knew there was a problem, I would try to fix it ASAP. And if my theory is correct, they probably had done just that. At any rate, it would make more sense to choose to buy a late-production MF-28 over an early-production unit.</p>

<p>So, is there a chance of getting some info on them serial numbers, anyone?</p>

<p>Mine is serial number 209525 and has been sitting on the shelf for a few years. <br>

Dropped in 2 new CR2025's, charged the camera's battery and the LCD looks as good today as it did 20+ years ago.<br>

I had forgotten how nice the F5 feels in my hands. I may need to burn some film this week.<br>

Warren</p>

<p>That fact that your MF-28 has just been sitting around with no, or dead batteries inside, doesn't tell us much about the unit's QC.<br>

One useful piece of information is the serial number. If I come across an MF-28 with a serial number in that range, I will probably pass because the unit would have been manufactured around the beginning to mid-production run.<br>

<br />Thanks!</p>