Expired Walgreen's Film

<p>I snagged a 4-pack of Walgreen's 400 color neg for free on Craigslist. The box says develop by 2013, Jan or July, can't remember. Obviously I'm not expecting spectacular results from drugstore film, but should I make any exposure adjustments given the past expiration date, or would 2 years not make any real difference?</p>

<p>Usual "room temperature" is in the 70s (F), or low 20s ©. </p>

<p>If you live where room temperature is often much higher, I would wonder more about the results you might get. </p>

<p>An hour at 100F (or 38C) might be worse than a year at 70F (21C). </p>

<p>The main thing about old color film is that the processing costs are still the same, and about the same as a roll of new film.</p>

<p>Also, the four packs that I know are usually 24 exposure rolls. Without printing, (with scanning or scan yourself) processing for 24 exp. and 36 exp. rolls aren't all that far apart,<br /> so I try for 36 exp. rolls. How much does a new four pack cost?</p>

<p>For black and white film that I process myself, I am much less worried about age. Slower speed films are usually fine to 40 years or so, maybe 25 for ISO 400 films, again at reasonable room temperature. In terms of aging, live, and temperature sensitivity, color films are about like black and white films of 4x the ISO rating. I would expect much better results from old ISO 100 color film.</p>

-- glen

• 2 weeks later...

<p>I saw four-packs in a store for about $15, with 24 exposure rolls, as usual.</p>

<p>Find out how much developing and scanning costs. You might not want to pay for prints until you know the film is good enough.</p>

<p>But once you see one roll, you will know to trust the others, or not.</p>

-- glen