Weird Scratches Along 120 Film After Drying

larry_servin

I've processed 2 rolls of 120 film and these lines have shown up. I know it's not the camera (Hasselblad 503 CW) cause I had a roll

processed professionally when I first got the camera last month & the lines are no where to be seen.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzC345V4I2gyc19icDJDOElfMjg

My process in dark bag with samigon stainless steel tank on a stainless steel reel:

D-76

Stop bath

Fixer

Wash

Photo-Flo

I'm thinking it has to do with the water drying on the film, cause I don't see the lines when it comes out of the tank. My first roll processed

had way more lines on it & I had done the photo flo before the final wash on accident. (Reason why I'm thinking it's the water)

I haven't tried to run them under water to see if they would come off but I did try to wipe them off the top piece of the film after I cut if off

with no luck.

Thank you for any tips!!

Larry: I haven't gotten any scans(blew all the budget on the camera haha) but yes, I try to keep it clean<br /><br />

Michael: that's what I thought too, but I'm not sure how to get rid of them. When I processed my first roll I squeegeed them

with my fingers but then I saw the marks so I thought that was the cause. But my second roll I didn't squeegee at all and

there was less of them but the second one I did the photo flo at the end of the process, I should've tried to squeegee them

but like I said, I thought I was gonna end up with the same result as the first roll. Anything you think I could try to get rid of

them? Soak em & squeegee em?

So I assume that I'm using waaayyyy too much haha half a cap is way more than that! Maybe that's what's going on.

Hmm, I just loaded up a roll of Delta 3200, I'm going to try to get through this roll so that I can see how it goes.<br /> <br

/> How long do you keep the film in the photo flo?<br /><br /> By the way, thank you for your time!! I appreciate it!!

<p>I got a pack of eye droppers at my local Walgreens years ago, http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/walgreens-eye/ear-dropper/ID=prod6215691-product . One will hold 4.5 to 5 ml with the rubber cap collapsed, inserted into the photoflo then the rubber cap slowly released. Once filled with photoflo empty it into the tank, fil the eyedropper with tank water 2 to 4 times, spin the reel 1 to 2 turns, let bubbles subside then pour off the rinse water. I sometimes shake the reel off or just let it sit for a minute and drain then hang to dry handling as little as possible.</p>

<p>I use filtered tap water.</p>

<p>Hello everyone. 4-5 ml of photo-flo per 350 or 450 ml tank (mine are Nikor) is WAY TO MUCH ! Use 0.5 or 1.0 ml and soak for 3 minutes max. Hang to dry without any physical monkey business. If you are in a very hot or tropic area, mist spray 2x each side with DI water. Here in Hawaii I do the misting, in Puget Sound just hang the film in a steamed up bath room shower area.<br>

5ml dispensing bulbs area available in any WalMart pharmacy. Aloha, Bill</p>

<p>Usual Photo-flo is called Photo-Flo 200, with a 1:200 dilution.</p>

<p>There is also Photo-Flo 2100, only in one gallon bottles: dilute 1:2100.</p>

<p>It used to come in a 4oz bottle, with a pretty small cap. The 16oz bottle has a larger cap.<br>

One capful of the small cap might be right, not of the big one.</p>

<p>I run my fingers, wet from the tank, down the film, but not like a squeegee. Just the tension from a film clip on the bottom to hold it against my finger. Gets off the big drops.</p>

-- glen

<p>I find that 2 to 3 drops of Kodak Photoflow in a Patterson tank with one 35mm reel is plenty, about 450 ml water.<br>

<br /> Just let the drops fall into the tank. Raise and lower or rotate the film reel to disperse the photoflo. At this stage you will have a few bubbles on the surface. After a minute or two when you are ready to hang the film the bubbles will have reduced and possibly disappeared altogether.<br>

<br /> I find that any touching of the wet film just moves the water around. If you are really brave and your film is well attached at it's top clip, you can give the film a couple of gentle whips to flick off the larger water drops. Did it last night for first time and I'll be sticking with this technique rather than physically touching wet emulsion.</p>