Having checked out the Beta for the new version of Photo.net. . .

Landrum Kelly

<p>Well I have a different issue. The link works for me. Used the 2 codes, so far so good. But then I can't sign in... says email or password not valid. OK I'm an idiot and have forgotten my password as I let it be stored on site in the past. I ask for it to be reset. Get the email, change passwords sign in here (old site) everything is cool. Go to new version 2.0, same problem....invalid...invalid...invalid.... </p>

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

<blockquote>

<p>Landrum, Glenn, I've twice tried to access the beta test by following the instructions on my invitation but all I get is a page with a bunch more links, none of which pertain to Photo.net. What could I be doing wrong? Why not simply provide a direct link to the test? Best, Len Marriott.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Len, I'm sorry, but I don't know what the problem is.</p>

<p>--Lannie</p>

<p>@ Glenn, additional info that may or may not be helpful for you to know about my issue. I am running a window 8.1 computer with Chrome as my browser. I was over at my son's house earlier today and had him try to log me into the new beta site. He's on windows 10 with an Edge browser. Same "Your email or password was incorrect. Please try again." message as I get here at home. I then had him try to log into my account on the existing photo.net (this) site. Worked perfect! </p>

<p>@Doug - I'm fairly sure its because you reset your password on the live site and that new password is not synched yet with the beta site. As of now we only synch the two once a week as all uploads and contributions made to beta are only for testing and will not make the live site. I'll set up a test account for you.</p>

<p>I was able to get on the site briefly a couple days ago, but I was unable to get into any of the discussion sites. I tried the beta test PWs I was sent and also my regular sign-on information. The site wound up freezing and I was unable to close it. I eventually had to totally close Safari to escape. I haven't tried further as of yet today, but I did want to report this. I'm running MAC OS X.<br>

The images are very clear and snappy looking, but I haven't had time to explore ease of use yet. I was hoping for a tutorial on navigation (it may be there and I haven't yet found it).</p>

<p>So when you go to the test site, the first thing you see is a blown-up portion of one person's picture, with a "heart" and the word "inspire" below it? Then, when you go to your personal page, the first thing you see, again, are enlarged portions of some of your pictures? Maybe these pictures are from the first gallery on your personal site?</p>

<p>The current Photo Net is a little plain looking. I can deal with that. I can't really deal with the beta test site's attempt to make things look "inspiring" or whatever.</p>

<p>The grumpy middle-age man's take on the beta site is that he's not thrilled by what he sees.</p>

Cosmetically nice. Substantively, I am more interested in that aspect of course, so I will look at the learning and educative areas the most... I went to the Learn section and I watched the video info on RAW and JPEG. Initial Reaction = Just a little too scripted and way too short to be really well done. There needs IMO to be a more polished approach from a professional user with real world recommendations , and featuring with introduction and face of the teacher as well as a more engaging script.

I realize folks have little time anymore, we think 3 minutes is all we want, but PN should not cater to the 'fast food' mentality. Not a critique so much as a quick reaction, Glenn. . More as I get into it, Glenn. Not to forget, we are I think pleased with the progress in the design and the big face lift.

I will look for some of the action responses in 2.0 to the community suggestions oft made. Can you give a rundown on what the line item changes we can expect? A guide to before and after goals I mean?

I am personally not inclined to compare PN against other online sites in my assessments personally..not a competitive game for me. Name Media may have different approach however so maybe there is a method to seeing this version against the state of art whatever that means. Terminology should never talk down to the audience, and I mean use of phrases like "vibe score" or even "adult content." I assume you mean NSFW or Nude Content. So heck say so please, when you redraft verbage...please..

Goals of changes in my minds eye are simple but cogent 1) remove dis-satisfiers 2) Develop new engaging content . And just review and revise the forum list. 3) Have educative material that is probing and valuable to all levels of expertise.4) Make it easy to post and get photos on line without arbitrary size limits once needed in the old days.... Good luck, team members, hang in there!.. And I will as well..gs

<p>I don't think there is anything on the beta site that's not on the current site. The form and function may be different but I don't think there is any additional new content there yet. In fact there's less content since I don't think it's tracking the current site in real time. I presume when 2.0 goes live it will carry a snapshot of the the content at that time (however I'm not involved in the changeover so I don't know that for sure).</p>

<p>Just wishful thinking but I was hoping the new look and design of PN 2.0 would retain its columnar appearance and resemble something more like this old publication... http://www.google.com/search?q=u%26lc&newwindow=1&biw=1529&bih=949&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0CCoQsARqFQoTCJyK9qa248cCFQSTDQodcFAJDg</p>

<p>...just replace the text blocks with photos and you're done. Well, almost. They published their last issue in 1999 and in 2005 someone published a book compiling some of the best layouts with some copies now selling for over $100 on Amazon. It's now a collectors item I'm guessing.</p>

<p>While hunting for a specific font from the good 'ol days of graphic design I came across a chart that lists fonts specific for web designers which made me realize there are limits to design motifs and layouts in order to make it compatible with browsers and web downloading.</p>

<p>Got a fresh look at 2.0 after being away from it for a while. Just thought I'ld add some positive feedback to balance out my previous critical comments.<br /> <br /> Love the monotype font as I type in the "Post A Response" box which is now at the top of the page, NICE. The response posted, but it's kind of confusing finding it since it's at the bottom and hidden. I had to click "Replies" box to un-collapse the list while other posts are showing above it. I guess that's to save scroll time with long threads.</p>

<p>Spell check works. Lot of white space to the right, guess that's for ad placement.<br /> <br />I'm warming up to the new design. Really like the dark slate blue background around my gallery photos. It makes them look a lot better than I remember. Less clutter and a "View" counter. That's really good! No more tabbed interface for "Critiques" & "Details". They're listed to the right of the image in vertical column layout. The organization of the layout design is almost similar to my "ImagePro" site without the slide show display.</p>

<p>Tim - not actively testing at the moment but I've had access to the site for a while, as have some other moderators. I've looked at it and tested out a few functions and made a few comments but I don't know if it's ready for true beta testing quite yet. For that it needs to be 98% finished, the other 2% coming from beta test feedback bug fixing.</p>

<p>It seems to be in more of an alpha testing phase right now but I don't know for sure. When the beta testing phase starts that's really allowing a group users to beat on the fully functioning site and seeing if they can break it or they have trouble using it. It's more of a bug finding exercise than a feature evaluation.</p>