HP5 +400 w/ Ilford Ilfosol 3 - Super odd grain

sven_jolly

<p>Do you have a light box?<br>

Yes- turn it on, lay the negatives on it, take a picture of them with a digital camera and post that photo.<br>

No- hang a strip 6 to 8 inches in front of a light colored wall, shine a bright light onto the wall behind the negative strip, take a picture of the negative strip with a digital camera and post that picture.</p>

<p>I too save scans as Tiff. Your monitor or its calibration should not be causing you to misadjust the scanner.</p>

<p>Chemical and wash water temperature should be within 5°F of one another to prevent processing problems.<br>

Some film/developer combinations do not work well together.</p>

<p>If this film/developer combination has worked in the past or scans of negatives from the past that are known to be fine grain are now coming out very grainy then its your scann software settings or the scan software installation has become corrupt.<br>

Do not use your monitor profile for your scanner, use sRGB, Adobe RGB or similar profile unless you create a custom profile for the scanner.</p>

<p>It appears as if I've solved the issue with the V500. It appears that any tweaking inside the exposure/contrast/etc really boosts the grain. Attached is a scan I made with 48-bit Color (recommended based on an article I read online).<br>

<br />Attached is a re-edit with the V500 scan. The grain has died down substantially. And yes, was using SRGB or ADOBE. <br>

<br />Thanks guys and Charles. </p><div>00dcWv-559611984.thumb.jpg.c4657500fefc641503b60c9e421894ae.jpg</div>

<p>If your problem is solved then OK. But truth is without a negative in hand it is tougher than a girl named Saddle Sally to figure things out. As for your developer and film combination you may as well be using Rodinal as not real good. even Ilford says so. Try Xtol or something like that with HP5+. I think Ilford has DDX.</p>

<p>I was just reading Ansel Adams "The Negative".</p>

<p>Reticulation is pretty much tearing of the emulsion from sudden contraction when it goes into a much cooler solution (or rinse). </p>

<p>But according to Adams, a smaller temperature change causes clumping of the grains. That sounds like it might be what you are seeing. </p>

-- glen

<p> I agree with Pete. I blew it up to have a peek at the shape of the grain. Looks like reticulation to me also. I blew it up using Paint Shop Pro X6 and did a simple adjust - one step noise removal and was suprised at the result... The tones just plain smoothed out and a nice photo of a beautiful model.<br>

BTW off the topic. I haven't used a stop bath for many years. I used to have very small clear spots on my negatives when using a stop bath. a pain when making prints but todays software cures that quickly along with noise or grain removal. I still use water.<br>

Bill</p>

<p> I agree with Pete. I blew it up to have a peek at the shape of the grain. Looks like reticulation to me also. I blew it up using Paint Shop Pro X6 and did a simple adjust - one step noise removal and was suprised at the result... The tones just plain smoothed out and a nice photo of a beautiful model.<br>

BTW off the topic. I haven't used a stop bath for many years. I used to have very small clear spots on my negatives when using a stop bath. a pain when making prints but todays software cures that quickly along with noise or grain removal. I still use water.<br>

Bill</p>