New Leica full frame mirrorless, first image sample

<p>I think Leica will unveil this tomorrow on the 20th. It's out of my price bracket for sure but it will be interesting to see what Leica brings to the table. I'm sure the lenses will be tasty and I wonder how much functionality they will build in for adapting their M lenses. Here is a link to a high res image, supposedly the first released from out of the camera.</p>

<p>http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/here-is-the-first-image-smaples-shot-on-the-new-leica-sl/</p>

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Huh, I was expecting something.....more classic?</p>

<p>http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/look-here-first-images-of-the-new-leica-sl-with-lenses/</p>

<p>Must admit I am a little disappointed. As I said, I'm probably not ever going to be in the market for this camera but one never knows. However the design and form factor don't do it for me. Guess I'll wait for the actual unveiling but if this is indeed the camera I'm sorta underwhelmed. After the beautiful functionality of the Q I was expecting more.</p>

<p>Ah well, I'm sure they will sell plenty of them to somebody.</p>

It must be announced since DPreview has the preview loaded on the front page. It's a BIG camera and weighs

about as much as a typical FF DSLR. While I am sure the image quality will be excellent as will be the optics,

at a stated price of $12,400 for body and the "kit" 24-90mm zoom its too rich for me and not likely to be a

common sight under most Christmas trees (or Hanukka bushes)

<p>Given the name, I expected a bit more retro-salute to the SL and SL2. The lenses look relatively large, which makes sense given sensor size and aperture, but it's also a fine way to nullify the size/weight advantage there is when mirrorbox and all that are gone. I don't know, but I fail to see what this camera line would add to the existing Leica line-ups.<br>

If I'm going to save up for a digital Leica, it won't be this one. Makes too little sense for too much money.</p>

<p>Wow! The new Leica SL is the photographic equivalent of an all-electric HumVee. It's carved from a solid aluminum billet, perhaps a bit on the unfinished side. It clearly poses no threat to the M digitals, unlike the vastly more logical solution of a "Q" with interchangeable lenses. Instead, we get a stripped-down A7 on HGH.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>unlike the vastly more logical solution of a "Q" with interchangeable lenses</p>

</blockquote>

<p>which is what I had expected. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Okay, so it's like a German-made Sony A7 (first gen A7, without the IBIS or the PDAF) only with larger lenses and a Leica price tag. I'm not rushing out to buy this.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Not even crawling at a snails pace ...</p>

<p>Looks like a past generation Sony NEX. Even if the 6900 Euros translates to 6900 $ it is still too much. I don't know what Leica is up to but they are really sadly behind in terms of the competition. Why this rather than an M240? Or a Sony A7RII at about half the price? </p>

<p>Let's look at the positives: two, (apparently) very high quality zooms which trade outright speed for flexibility. What SLR system has a 24-90 which is going to be as good as the Leica? SFA. So this camera has everything you'd want, pretty much.</p>

<p>I do not like the EVF placement. Why is it not where it should be, in the corner? The Q had it right, dammit! Leica was so close to utterly smoking away everyone else, I think, but for this flaw.</p>

<p>So, too, does the A7 system have all you'd want. But this is in another league. Those lenses, I assume, will be exceptionally good. Let me put it this way: the Nikon D800E with the best Zeiss lenses (save the Otus line) could not hold a candle to the S2. I imagine the SL will out-perform any DSLR without an Otus lens on it.</p>

<p>The specs look good, but perhaps not enough to tempt Sony users. Would it tempt away DSLR users? Perhaps, especially those shooting with $6,000 D4's, and if the Leica zooms out-perform the best Nikkor zooms (which I imagine they would). That's not a prescription, BTW. Some people are very happy with the Pentax Spotmatics and you have to shoot with what makes you happy.</p>

<p>Just had a look at the 'hands-on' shots on dpreview, and unless their model has very small hands it is a heckuva big camera. I thought mirrorless brought a size advantage but the guys at Leitz seem to have overlooked this.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>What SLR system has a 24-90 which is going to be as good as the Leica?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Although it's only a 24-70, I would bet that the Canon 24-70 f/2.8L II will match the Leica glass, and it's faster too.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>the Nikon D800E with the best Zeiss lenses (save the Otus line) could not hold a candle to the S2</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Hardly surprising. The S2 is medium format. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>I imagine the SL will out-perform any DSLR without an Otus lens on it.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Try capturing a bird in flight with a 600mm lens on the Leica SL. You can also put any Leica glass on an A7 body and capture images at a higher resolution than 24 megapixels. </p>

<p>My twopenneth? A $100K Porsche is much better than a $20K Ford but the $12K Leica SL (with lens) is not $8K better than the latest Sony A7 (with Zeiss lens). Even if the new lenses are unimaginably great, you can put them on an A7 and capture detail at a higher resolution than the Leica anyway. The SL is for two kinds of people: 1. Those with more money than sense 2. Those with more money than sense.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The SL is for two kinds of people</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I'll add a third: those infatuated - for whatever reason and however misguided - with anything "red dot".</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Do we know the flange/focal distance of this camera yet?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Couldn't find the info on the Leica L-mount (used on the T) anywhere - would assume it to be just a tad shorter than the Sony E-mount to prohibit the use of the SL lenses the Sony A7 Series cameras. After all, Leica would want you to buy the SL to put those lenses on, not adapt them on an A7RII. Exchanging the mount on an A7-Series body might still do the trick though - if those SL lenses are really worth the effort.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>You can also put any Leica glass on an A7 body</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Doubtful in case of the new SL lenses (or the Leica T lenses, not that anyone would want to mount them on an FE-mount anyway)</p>

<p>Don't understand at all why Leica felt the need to come out with the SL - the camera offers not much more than the original A7 - at almost 4.5x the price. OK, the EVF is better and the camera is faster. And you certainly get more camera for your money - almost twice as much (by weight).</p>

While I am sure the lenses will be optical and mechanical jewels, the 24-90 weighs 40 oz compared to about 28

oz for a Canon 24-70 f2.8II. Comparing 90mm at f4 vs 70mm at f2.8 I am not sure why I would have expected

this lens to be as big and as heavy as it is. So just the camera and 1 midrange zoom weighs 4 /12 pounds, which is not

exactly going to be kind to my arthritic vertebra but those with a good strong back and shoulder (and thick wallet

and/or $13K of available credit limit), may reach another conclusion.

<p>All this talk of <strong>too pricey</strong> and it's just an <strong>updated Sony A7</strong>.<br />Leica isn't stupid, they're staying in business by charging these prices.<br>

How else did a <a href="http://www.caranddriver.com/bugatti/veyron" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">$2,250,000 Bugatti Veyron</a> have viability leading the path to a new "Chiron" model?</p>

<p>The latest testing shows that the Sony A7 line-up, still doesn't perform up to the level of Leica "wide" lens performance at the edges using Leica glass.<br>

The 'new' Leica SL on the other hand, claims that it's in fact optimized for Leica glass no matter the angle.</p>

<p>Clicking through the sample images in <a href="http://www.dpreview.com/sample-galleries/8280161083/leica-sl-real-world-samples-gallery" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">this link</a>,<strong><<< click </strong>one can see unbelievable detail using their provided "Loupe" function.<br>

<em>Statue, man sitting at bench</em>, I can read the brand of his eyeglass frames<strong> !</strong></p>

<p>Just because so many can't afford it, doesn't mean that we shouldn't celebrate this advance towards perfection...</p>

<p>Leica seems lost. Sort of a Sony look alike.</p>

<p>They are just marketing obscure cameras that nobody wants.</p>

<p>The x1 was nearly there but without a electronic viewfinder...poor autofocus; bit of a cheap build the Fuji X100 ate it for breakfast...the pop up flash on mine fell to pieces .Wake up Leica smell the coffee...stop being scared of the M sales they will always be there.</p>