Monday in Nature Weekly Photo Oct. 12, 2015

Laura Weishaupt

<blockquote>

<p><strong>Basic Guidelines</strong>: Nature based subject matter. Please, declare captive subjects. Keep your image at/under 700 pixels on the long axis for in-line viewing and try to keep file size under 300kb. Note that this includes photos hosted off-site at Flicker, Photobucket, your own site, etc. Feel free to link your image to a larger version. <strong><em>In the strictest sense, nature photography should not include hand of man elements. Please refrain from images with obvious buildings or large man made structures like roads, fences, walls. Try to minimize man made features and keep the focus on nature. </em></strong><br>

<strong><em> </em></strong><br>

<strong><em>Are you new to this thread? We post one image per week. For more <a href="/nature-photography-forum/00cgtY">details on guidelines</a> please read this helpful information. </em></strong><br>

<strong><em> </em></strong></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Greetings,<br>

On a day in November 1915 a photographer sat on an Antarctic ice flow with his work. He had risked his life to salvage the glass plate negatives. They represented a years work and he was determined not to lose it all, but he couldn't keep them all either. Hard choices had to be made, and they were. He selected 150 and broke the rest, about 400, so he would not return to try and retrieve them or second guess his selections. The glass plates and exposed cinema film were carefully packed for an uncertain future. All photographic equipment was left on the ice, except a Vest Pocket Kodak camera and 3 rolls of unexposed film. The photographer would record raw nature and human survival in the extreme circumstances of the<a href="https://www.kodak.com/US/en/corp/features/endurance/"> Endurance Expedition</a>. 100 years later the photographs speak of the expedition, but also take viewers into the heart of a man with tremendous skill behind a camera. His name was <a href="http://www.australia.gov.au/about-australia/australian-story/frank-hurley">Frank Hurley</a> and his birthday is this week.</p>

<p>Hurley took his cameras to difficult places at that time, like New Guinea, Antarctica, and remote regions of his native Australia. <a href="http://www.greatwar.nl/frames/default-hurley.html">During WWI</a> he was in Flanders and Palestine. He was criticized for composite photographs produced during the war. His talents extended into films and he was tireless in these endeavors. He photographed the nature while in remote locations, even though it was not his primary objective. As expedition photographer or war photographer, the landscape didn't escape his attention. His nature photos are stunning and bring the viewer right in to the scene. He left a legacy of fearless devotion to the craft of photography. It's easy to be inspired by any facet of his work.</p>

<p>Happy birthday Frank Hurley. Even though his day is Oct. 15, we can pay our respects on Monday in Nature. My tribute is simply being true to my favorite photographic subject, the richness of the forest.</p><div>00dX72-558806884.JPG.89287ac9b5d93c84684c72ce452d0b70.JPG</div>

<p>A pair of common darter (<em>s</em><em>ympetrum striolatum</em>) dragonflies in tandem flight. The male holds the female while she distributes eggs over the water.</p>

<p>Laura, I have always admired Frank Hurley's <em>Endurance</em> photos. They are pictures which haunt the memory. The whole story of Shackelton's expedition is a modern day epic and to have these timeless photos of their struggle for survival is just amazing. I understand Shackelton's leadership of the group and his voyage from Elephant Island to South Georgia is sometimes used as an teaching example of How to Lead Your Team Through a Crisis.</p><div>00dX7L-558807484.jpg.c4e698a51dc451cf900cae4bed6f9acd.jpg</div>

<p>Colin,<br>

I had the good fortune to see an exhibition of the Endurance photos many years ago at National Geographic Explorers Hall. There was a life size replica of the boat use on the journey to South Georgia as well as many small personal items that survived the ordeal. The photos printed and displayed on the walls were amazing to see. My husband gave me a large coffee table book of Hurley,s photographs. Whenever I think I've got it tough, I can look at those images and get immediate perspective. Some of his New Guinea photos of children are very poignant. </p>

<p>When the Endurance sank, and the crew were sitting on a disintegrating icefloe, Shackleton just said to them 'Well, let's go home'. Remarkable. Another bit of survival (less dramatic but very welcome) are the areas of relic Caledonian pine forest in northern Scotland. Dominated by Scots pine, and once covering large areas, the remaining areas are precious - and many are now being very well and sensitively managed. Here's a pic of one of them.</p><div>00dX7p-558808984.jpg.f8170c46038d66c482ebcea65d27b0b5.jpg</div>

<p>Laura, Sir Ernest has been an inspiration to me dozens of times in my life and I am reminded of Frank Hurley every time I manage to go through the ice and fill my boots with water hours and miles from home. If I can admit to a boyhood hero, it is Sir Ernest Shackleton. I find myself re-reading the story of The Endurance at some point every year and yes, the surviving images are spectacular. As a sailor, I am always in awe of his courage and his navigational skill. <br>

As an aside, a long time acquaintance of mine discovered this book just last Thursday and couldn't wait to share it with me on Facebook. So, I've just had lengthy conversations about this very subject only a few days ago. Did you know a group of modern day adventurers mounted a re-enactment of this famous voyage a few years ago and a documentary was produced? It was initiated by Sir Ernest's granddaughter.<br>

This shot I took leaning over a bridge in Costa Rica. The locals were quick to tell me that a man's head had been discovered not far from this spot the previous Friday. Apparently he'd been drinking and had disembarked a bus to attend to nature's needs and didn't return to the bus.</p><div>00dX8a-558813784.jpg.6baa682cd5f73f296ef85e64eebd6164.jpg</div>

<p>It was the amazing tale of Shackleton and his crew on the Endurance that inspired me to visit Antarctica back in 2005. Shackleton's Imperial Trans-Antarctic expedition was dependent on supplies being cached by the other team, the so called Ross Sea party. Their ship, the Aurora, broke free of her moorings and was swept out to sea stranding the men with only the clothes on their backs and a few supplies. It was an incredible feat of bravery and ingenuity that they managed to lay provisions for Shackleton by sledging 1,700 miles with improvised gear scavenged from the remnants of Scott's base; they were unaware that Shackleton had not set foot on Antarctica! For a full account read "The Lost Men" by Kelly Tyler-Lewis, published in 2006, ISBN 0-670-03412-6.<br /> I bought my first digital SLR, a canon 20D, to record my comfortable adventure to Antarctica, and this is a shot of a small Gentoo penguin colony taken in Neko Harbour, 64.5 degrees south. In December I make my second trip to Antarctica, this time on a trip dedicated to photography.</p><div>00dX94-558814384.jpg.eb973c2f88b1e347c79d44aa17dd3938.jpg</div>

<p>Rick,<br>

I recall another set of your Antarctic images from <a href="/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00c2Za?start=25">this thread</a> in 2013. Back then I remarked that one of them reminded me of a Hurley photo taken in South Georgia. It still does. I've dreamed of going there for a long time. The book sounds like a good companion to "South" by Shackleton. </p>

<p>Gup, yes, I did see that documentary. It was good.</p>

Apologies in advance to marring Shun's excellent pelican capture.

I had been working in our field today and had a photo I planned to post, when, upon firing up the laptop at lunch and

viewing today's inspiring images, I noticed a deer tick crawling across the screen over Shun's pelican. iPhone to the

rescue and here's the shot. The tick is on the lower bill.

I guess even lowly arachnids may have an aesthetic sense.

Hopefully not too egregious a deviation from protocol since 1) definitely not just nature since the background is my laptop

screen and 2) I am posting part of someone else's image.

Feel free to delete.<div>00dX9H-558814484.jpg.65c1284417e0f31374e90e703f0225a4.jpg</div>

Test