Best of 3

I am buying a camera for a friend going on a 2 week trip.

She studied film and has expressed interest in getting a vintage film camera to start playing with. Consider her a beginner.

Which of these 3 cameras would you recommend I give to her?<P>

Nikon FE10

<br><a href="http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/clt/5337337419.html" target="_blank">http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/clt/5337337419.html</a></p><p>

Canon AE-1<BR>

<a href="http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/pho/5371176686.html" target="_blank">http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/pho/5371176686.html</a><p>

Yashica FX-3<BR>

<a href="http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/pho/5353477731.html" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/pho/5353477731.html</a><p>

Thanks for your help!

<p>The Nikon FE10 isn't actually all that old, and is a generic Cosina camera with a Nikon F-mount (the lens is reasonable, but nothing particular). It doesn't have the sturdiness that makes the FM and FE cameras so nice, according to all reviews (I've only got a FM2, which is great).<br /> Probably you thought of it, but getting a camera for a trip - I hope your friend will have enough time to test the camera (and in case of problems, return it) and get used to it before she leaves for the trip? Because bringing an unknown piece of gear for unique events isn't smart, and especially not with second hand old(er) stuff.<br /> That caveat aside, I don't find any of these three particularly attractive priced, for craigslist offers. I'd try www.keh.com (note I'm in Europe, never used KEH myself, but get everything from eBay, where you also can find better deals); for example, I see Nikon FE on the KEH site for a lot less than what the FE10 would cost; add a 50mm f/1.8 and you've got something a lot nicer.</p>

<p>With regard to the Yashica, it may well be a very good camera, and Yashica meters always seem to work nicely, but the FX3 has some plastic parts in the wind mechanism, and failure may prove expensive and inconvenient. Yashicas also for some reason seem to have complicated and extensive foam sealing and to leak light when it goes bad. I think it's also battery dependent. If you can find good lenses for the Yashica it can be a great camera to use, but I suspect the newer, Cosina made Nikon will be simpler and easier to fix, and can work even if the battery dies or the meter conks out. </p>

<p>That particular example seems pretty high priced, and the lens, though not terrible, is not going to be great. But of the three, that one seems the best candidate. </p>

<p>I second Wouter's response about KEH. You get a warranty from them and their prices are very good over all.</p>

<p>Might I suggest a fully mechanical camera, such as the Canon FTb or a Nikkormat. You could throw in a decent handheld meter like a Gossen Luna Pro. These are workhorses that still perform well today.</p>

<p>Ed</p>

<p>I don't know if this is just nostalgia, but I absolutely loved using the AE-1, it's a great camera for those new to film. I'd pick the AE-1 out of those three just because of how solidly built it is and how easy it is to get great pictures with it. As an added bonus you can get some good lenses for rock-bottom prices, and the batteries aren't terribly expensive either.</p>

<p>Agree, none of the above, but if forced, the Nikon is the only contender. <br>

(i) The Yashica has a big dent in the filter ring. <br>

(ii) The Canon AE-1 is overpriced by a factor of 4. It has a normal lens that's older than the camera (early 70s, chrome-nose), and an off-brand zoom. If the battery fails on an AE-1, you're done shooting.</p>

<p>If you want an alternative, I'm an evangelist for the Canon T70, a 1980s camera. KEH has one (BGN) for $33 (body only), and you can usually find them on ebay for about the same. A T70 has all the functionality of an AE-1, except no depth-of-field preview. It runs on ordinary AA batteries and has selective metering, both of which are very useful features.</p>

<p>Used T70s usually work without repairs or overhauls-- I've had six or eight, and only one was DOA. The reason, I think, is that hundreds of thousands were sold in the SLR boom of the 1980s, mainly to people who really needed a point-and-shoot and not an SLR. So hundreds of thousands sat in closets. Many second-hand T70s are in essentially new condition. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks everybody. This is so helpful. Here are two more options I have discovered.... </p>

<p>OLYMPUS OM-1 <a href="https://longisland.craigslist.org/pho/5356909257.html" target="_blank">https://longisland.craigslist.org/pho/5356909257.html</a></p>

KONICA MINOLTA http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/801309485-USE/konica_minolta_minolta_x_700_35mm_slr.html

<p>The OM-1 is also a great camera [it might even be better than the AE-1, depending on the user's preference], it's EXTREMELY durable, and also has TTL metering [a big plus if you're snapping a lot of pictures quickly]. The only problem is there are no more batteries for this particular camera, as they were mercury based, and the replacements usually will muck up the light meter in some way. I tend to find that the x-700, while a good camera in it's own right, tend to eat batteries for breakfast lunch and dinner with no breaks in between, so be careful to have a lot of extras or take the batteries out when it's not in use [which quickly becomes tedious]</p>

<p>The Olympus was a very solid and popular camera in its day but the price there seems high to me. I would not buy the Minolta, expecially at that price.<br /><br />Every time the question of buying a camera for a friend comes up, I have the same answer: Don't.<br /><br />The reason is that photographers are very, very picky about what they want. What you're looking at might be exactly what she wants or it might be the total opposite. Very rarely is there "the same as" or "close enough." Many photographers have intense brand loyalty, so to start you need to know whether she's a Nikon person, a Canon person or (statistically far less likely) prefers something else.<br /><br />Best thing is to tell her how much you're willing to spend and then go camera shopping with her, but let her make the choice.</p>

<p>I've has a Yashica FX3 for about 4 years, and it works well with both very good Yashica as well as excellent Zeiss lenses of the era. But let's face it, it is old technology, and not what I would call a robust camera, although exposures have been spot on. I'd say take a pass in light of the alternatives. The Canon AE-1 was a best sell in its day in America...everybody owned one, but again, the electronics, and often the shutters have frequently gone bad...repairable, but not cheap. The Nikon FE10 again is at the low end of the bucket. I agree that a Nikon is the way go, among the majors, but I'd find a good clean Nikon F3HP.....versatile, workhorses, can use almost any Nikon SLR lens ever made. The Olympus OM-1 was a winner when first introduced, and their optics outstanding, but skip it and find a good slightly later and more reliable model, the Olympus OM-2n from a reputable dealer...it is a great camera. Lastly, I'll toss another into the picture, a Minolta XGM...extremely good camera, versatile, excellent lenses quite inexpensive and readily available. Like the others said, use a dealer like KEH, Adorama, B&H, which offer good warrantys and return privileges. I did skip suggestions on Canons only because the really good vintage ones, IMHO, have become pretty much collector items, and their lenses, although top notch, aren't compatible with modern bodies.</p>

<p>The Minolta X700 has an occasional problem of a bad capacitor that prevents it from firing. It can be fixed, but may not be too simple to do right. That said, if you get one that works well, including a later one in which the capacitor was upgraded, this is a very nice camera to use. B&H warrantees their stuff. The manual Minolta will work with earlier lenses in modes other than Program. Lenses are often quite cheap and very good. The meter is very accurate, and the X700 is one of the better late Minoltas. The 1.7 normal lens is quite good and sharp. I've used these and like them a lot.</p>

<p>I've been getting rid of a lot of cameras recently, but aside from Nikons, I am not going to get rid of my X700 either. </p>

<p>The x700 is battery dependent, although the batteries last well. </p>

<p>The Pentax K1000, which is very basic and lacking in extra features, is well made, solid, and only the meter needs a battery. It functions without. The match needle meter is a bit nicer to use than the LED meters of some others. </p>

<p>Walter, I don't know exactly why, but the Craigslist entries you list do not strike me as particolarly cheap, plus as these are usually private sales, there will be zero warranty, and you have to trust the seller that the camera works - without having any idea if they even can distinguish a working camera from a failing one. If your experience with old(er) cameras is so and so, I'd really avoid Craigslist, and especially at the prices of your links.<br>

Probably it really is best to do as other said; let your friend decice as she may have preferences - so visit websites of good dealers (as have been mentioned already) together with her and see what kind of camera she'd prefer. You'll get a camera with a level of warranty, return policy, basic testing done it by somebody who has a clue, and a lot of choice, plus what I saw at KEH, better prices too.<br>

Seriously, going this route will be easier and faster than Craigslist and leave you and your friend more satisfied too probably.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"I'd really avoid Craigslist" <em><strong>Wounter W.</strong></em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>I totally agree. <br /> There's usually a reason other than fees, that people sell there instead of the well known <em>Ebay Buyer Protection</em> 'places'.<br /> <br /> Just to add, maybe seek out the camera she used in school. <br /> I'm sure the camera model she used is available with low mileage, in close to Mint condition and at bargain prices...</p>

<p>Get this Nikon FG ("EX", but without finger grip) at KEH for a screaming deal of $14!!!</p>

<p>https://www.keh.com/246484/nikon-fg-chrome-35mm-camera-body</p>

<p>Then, get a good Nikon Prime 50mm, perhaps this one in "EX" condition, for $128:</p>

<p>https://www.keh.com/220909/nikon-50mm-f-1-8-ais-late-manual-focus-lens-52</p>

<p>I would go for the much better and faster glass of the 50mm. Total cost is about the same. Features are about the same. Weight is about the same. Glass is BETTER.</p>

<p>:-)</p>

<p>There are a lot of cameras from that time frame available in the $20 price range. Maybe everything is more expensive in New York, though. I tend to go for the low price, with no guarantee, and not worry if it doesn't work.</p>

<p>I also like the FTb and Nikkormats. The Nikkormat FT3 is nice, as it expects AI lenses. Very similar in function to the FM, but more solidly built. </p>

<p>Both AI and FD lenses are available used for very reasonable prices. The AI lenses will even work on many Nikon DSLRs. </p>

<p>I suspect she should also have a DSLR on the trip, too. In that case, it might be best to have a Nikon DSLR that can use the same lenses as the film SLR, or the later Canon film SLRs that use EF lenses, which also work with Canon DSLRs. </p>

<p>My favorite are the Goodwill auctions, both eBay and shopgoodwill.com, with local pick-up to avoid shipping charges. Otherwise, the shipping is often more than the item.</p>

<p>http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/Walz-Coronet-B-Handheld-Camera-Photo-Light-Meter-26577873.html</p>

<p>might be a nice light meter to have.</p>

<p>http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/Canon-Rebel-EOS-II-Camera-Body-Only-26584616.html</p>

<p>is a Canon EF mount camera body for $9 (including $2 handling charge), so far with no bids.</p>

<p>http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/Canon-EOS-Elan-35mm-Film-Camera-w-35-80mm-Lens-26666575.html<br>

Is an EF mount camera, including EF lens. This lens should work on Canon DSLRs, too. For $7, if either the lens or camera works (both untested) you have a great deal. </p>

<p>Looks like this store doesn't do any testing. They might give a refund if it is completely dead. <br>

Many Canon SLRs use 123 batteries, which are a little expensive but should last a while. They are reasonably available, unlike some others.</p>

<p> </p>

-- glen

<p>Well, Craigslist is usually local. Useful for things you don't want to ship, and that you can test before you pay. But as with eBay, many people don't have any idea of current values and overprice them.</p>

<p>Most cameras can be tested well enough with a few quick tests. In most cases, they either work or they don't. Time the 1 second shutter by eye, see that the faster speeds seem faster.</p>

<p>For lenses, the biggest problem with old lenses, and even not so old ones, is apertures that don't close down when they should. Sometimes you can see if they don't close down at all. Otherwise, looking with the back open, see if it closes down.</p>

<p>For battery powered cameras, you need a battery, and might not have one. Ask the seller to supply one.</p>

<p>But as above, my choice is for the price to be low enough that I don't mind so much if it doesn't work.</p>

-- glen

<blockquote>

<p>I lent her a Canon EOS S Rebel film camera.</p>

</blockquote>

<p><br />Yes, this is probably a better choice, and are likely available at good prices.<br>

And the lenses work on Canon DSLRs, too.</p>

<p>Or similar Nikon models, where again the lenses will work with Nikon DSLRs.</p>

<p>Sometimes the older models are fun, for historical reasons. (Mostly that I couldn't afford them when they were new.) But for actual use, the later models are a good choice.</p>

-- glen