What are some good subjects for b&w film.

<p>Portraits, old buildings, landscapes (the list goes on). Also, black & white film can produce dramatic effects with blue sky and clouds when used with color filters (yellow, deep yellow, red). Green filters lighten foliage and darken skin tones somewhat.Before shooting your film try taking a few color digital shots of the intended subjects and convert them to black & white on the computer to see if you like them better. By separating color images into red, green, and blue channel you can get some idea of how filtering effects black & white images.</p>

<p>You need to find your own inner creativity...you can photograph anything and everything. B&W film is good for photograping everything where color isn't important as a differentiating factor.</p>

<p>B&W film is my favorite medium by far, I've loved it as long as I've been photographing. You can use it for anything but honestly you will have to figure it out yourself. It's all part of a process. I loved in shooting for newspapers and all the things that involved. Now days I like running Tri-x through my RB67 or various Nikon bodies on old things, dead trees, architecture, street shooting, lots of things. Anymore I only shoot color for paid work and the odd family shots or stuff I want to put on the web.</p>

<p>Rick H.</p>

<p>I prefer B&W for any scene where I find colour to be of no added value. In my case, that's most of what I do. But what Stephen said, it has to come from your inner creativity - what any of us likes doesn't necessarily ring any bells with you. Also study photos from others in B&W to get an idea how a lack of colour works.</p>

Anything in which color is a distraction rather

than an essential element. For me, often that's

photos of people.

But I don't apply any rigid rules. Many photos

I've taken with b&w film and color film or

digital in the same session were better in color.

Others needed a yellow or orange filter to help

separate the people from the surroundings -

something I rarely use for candid photos of

people with b&w film.

Shoot both b&w and color of the same subjects.

Compare the results. You'll quickly get an idea

of which suits your preferences.

Also, keep in mind that the best classic b&w

photos often involved at least some manipulations

during darkroom printing. Those photos didn't

just fall out of the camera looking great. B&W

film is a capture medium, not the end product.