Monday in Nature Weekly Photo Aug 17 , 2015

Laura Weishaupt

<blockquote>

<p><strong>Basic Guidelines</strong>: Nature based subject matter. Please, declare captive subjects. Keep your image at/under 700 pixels on the long axis for in-line viewing and try to keep file size under 300kb. Note that this includes photos hosted off-site at Flicker, Photobucket, your own site, etc. Feel free to link your image to a larger version. <strong><em>In the strictest sense, nature photography should not include hand of man elements. Please refrain from images with obvious buildings or large man made structures like roads, fences, walls. Try to minimize man made features and keep the focus on nature. </em></strong><br>

<strong><em> </em></strong><br>

<strong><em>Are you new to this thread? We post one image per week. For more <a href="/nature-photography-forum/00cgtY">details on guidelines please read this</a> helpful information. </em></strong><br>

<strong><em> </em></strong></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Monday Morning Greetings,<br>

So often lovely creatures in nature start out looking like little ugly ducklings. Newly emerged fungi rarely look anything like their mature state. These small and quite young <em>Suillus americanus</em> will grow to deep yellow that almost glows against the forest floor. They looked a bit mysterious in the shaded location.</p>

<p>Monday in Nature is the place for young and old from the natural world, all of them beauties.</p><div>00dRZy-558065184.jpg.97e3262f1b77dc3b4eb2556a76ed9a8f.jpg</div>

<p>Well Laura, I actually took this photo of an 'ugly duckling' yesterday. My intent was to show how big a merganser's feet are and why they can swim so fast. This poor baby was moulting and acquiring adult plumage. It seemed to be uncomfortable and would roll in the water to be able to have a good scratch.</p><div>00dRaR-558067184.jpg.e6fb69d500fba8de2974f7ac38b445fa.jpg</div>

<p>This photo is more about the content than the technicalities. It was taken at an extreme distance with a 500mm + 1.4 tc then severely cropped. The wolf eats at it's kill as the Raven and Bald Eagle await their turn. Later on a grizzly took over the kill. A rather famous one at that... the Yellowstone Grizzly known as Scar Face. I will post him next week!</p><div>00dRaa-558067684.jpg.253c54db8fbaaf18443e2bdc154e9438.jpg</div>

<p>I just realized how similar my post was to Glenn's. I didn't see a single Monarch here this year, although that doesn't mean there weren't some, I was away a bit. But, no caterpillars, either. However, lots of Milkweed Tiger Moth caterpillars devouring the milkweeds to the stems. (photos next week...)</p>