monitor for critical photo editing

<p >I will soon buy a high-end Windows 10 desktop PC. But I'm struggling with the question of monitors. First, I don't want one larger than 27” (24” would be better) and I don't care about video or gaming, only photo editing and printing. My question has to do with ultra-high def (3840 pixels and up) and with the monitor's support for both Adobe RGB and sRGB. (I shoot and process in Adobe RGB). I know the theoretical advantages of both the ultra-high def and support for Adobe, but I'm wondering about the <em>practical</em> advantages. Obviously, relaxing those requirements lowers my cost a lot, simplifies things technically, and increases my choices. Thanks for your hands-on (vs. theoretical) advice.</p>

<p>I feel wider gamut, ability to precisely calibrate for multiple purposes is <strong>far</strong> more useful than high def. You can get both if you have the budget, NEC SpectraView 4K. Or save a lot and just go PA272W with their software and bundled Colorimeter (unless you own one already which is supported). </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>I went with an Eizo. I used Macs for processing. Their software is made for PC's and it sort of works, doesn't get updated regularly. However, I am quite angry at them. The monitor I have, a CG275W, started delaminating. This isn't my fault, its just sitting on the desk... Turns out, they refused to call this a warranty issue. It was a year old before it started doing this but it comes with a 5 year warranty, which is worthless. It's going to cost me $200 for them to repair it, and who knows what to box and shop the thing... When I get it back, there will be a cheap Eizo for sale... just as soon as Apple gets out a new monitor that matches that 5K one they put on the iMac. I'm hoping for this fall.</p>

<p>Well, turns out I quoted that incorrectly... I was going to swallow my pride and just pay them the $200, plus another 200-400 for packing and shipping. I got another monitor to work with while its gone. </p>

<p>I just re-read the email. Sure, its actually $180 for the repair, but another $980 for the part. That's $1160, not including shipping. As soon as a new monitor comes out from Apple I am going to throw this thing in the trash.</p>

<p>In the meantime if I spot a scan for anyone and I miss a spot in the top middle area, I'm sorry. This is infuriating. Companies need to back up their products properly - at least within reason.</p>

<p>Some of these accounts are scarey regarding two well respected monitor makers. I want to transfer from my 24 inch iMac screen (too bright, difficult to calibrate) to something of higher performance in regard to all of the parameters, but hesitate on which and the limitation of my price range (need one at less than $1200). I understand also that many sales are of refurbished monitors and are these always identified as such?</p>

<p>I picked up the PA272 on one of their 2x yearly sales for $999 from BH.</p>

<p>I bought BasICColor Display to help calibrate my old 24" (early 2009) iMac which it sounds like the one you have (too bright but Basic. manages taht (at the expense of range) so its used mostly for palettes)</p>

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
<p>Hey Gary. To answer your question more simply, i will start by saying yes UHD resolutions of 3840 pixels or more is practically better for your needs. Though text will look smaller on display. And from what you described about your needs, you obviously need a wide/extented color gamut monitor. Here are my recommendations below; <br />Dell UltraSharp U2410<br />NEC PA241W-BK<br />Dell UltraSharp UP2414Q<br />HP DreamColor Sbuy LP2480ZX<br />Eizo CG246<br />Dell UltraSharp U2711<br />Eizo ColorEdge CX271<br /> If you wish to know more, go <a href="http://www.monitorsforphotoediting.com/">here</a></p>

<p>Thanks all. I bought the 27-inch wide-gamut display from NEC, http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1006641-REG/nec_pa272w_bk_multisync_pro_27_gb_r.html. It's all I need for critical photo editing but I must admit I was not prepared for the small-type issue. Yes, I can increase font size in Win 10 and in various apps, but I'm finding it hard to get something that I like CONSISTENTLY across all apps. Certain things like my web browser do not work well at anything but the default size, which on this monitor is tiny. Oh, well, I will try again when I replace this monitor in about four years or so.</p>