Nikon fm3a with Zeiss 100 ZF macro Planar T or Nikon micro 105 2.8 Ai s

roman_thorn1

<p>Hello. Has anyone compared these on film? Cost aside, would there be much difference? I'm interested in Food photography and portraiture. I'm also a minimalist, hence my wish for an optic that can handle both genres well. My current set up for every day use, is a Nikon fm3a with a voigtlander 40mm f2. Adding a 100/105 seems like a good fit. All input welcome...</p>

<p>Roman</p>

<p>I second. The Nikon 105/2.5 AI or AI-S. My favorite is the Nikkor-P 105/2.5 factory AI ed. It is a gem. Actually, all of the 105/2.5 lense a superior portrait lens. The second is the 85/1.4 AI-S.<br /> Why don't you try the Nikon, serial E, 100mm f/2.8 AI-S. The metal ringed version. You going to have a surprise. Use a deep hood. Avoid the plastic version. But, even the plastic version is good too.</p><div>00d2uX-553780584.jpg.a4595e9097ab03ac7c4de74474a19f7b.jpg</div>

<p>I think the biggest problem with the otherwise superb 105/2.5 is that it does not focus at all close, so macro work requires extension tubes, which of course mean one must take them out again for infinity focus. </p>

<p>I've not used the AIS version of the Nikon 105/2.8 but my wife has the AF version, and we have both used it extensively with film. It's very nice indeed. If not quite as magical as the old 2.5 at distance, it is still very good, and the macro range makes it very versatile. </p>

<p>If cost is really not an issue, consider the older (non-E) version of the 85/2.8 PC D lens. The newer E version requires an electronically connected camera, but the older one, though chipped for limited metering on AF cameras, has a pushbutton preset aperture that will work on anything. You won't find anything else quite like it. I've used mine only on digital DX format so far, but I sure do like it. KEH has one for sale and looking, at least, is free. </p>

<p>I adore the 105mm f/2.5, but it's not best at close focussing distances, in my view. And if there is one lens that for me that has them beat, the Zeiss. If money isn't an issue (as it's far from cheap), in my view the best lens at that length.<br>

But for that price, you could also get the 105mm f/2.5, and a 55mm f/2.8 Micro-Nikkor. And while I am far from a food photographer, that focal length does seem more usable to me for that kind of work.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"I'm interested in Food photography and portraiture."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>For food photography and other close-up work under studio conditions, I use the Nikon 105mm f/4 macro lens. This lens does not have its own focusing mechanism because it was designed to be used with bellows or extension tubes. I use it on a Nikon PB-4 bellows in order to use its swinging and shifting features to control perspective.<br>

<br /> Nikon Close-up00d3Fi-553854384.jpg.0c1dcd5b60fe1fcb276e84e97ec72930.jpg</div>

<p>I own and use the Nikon 105mm f/2.5 lens and the Nikon 105mm f/2.8 macro lens. Both are excellent lenses.</p>

<p>The Nikon 105mm f/2.5 has a well-deserved reputation for being an exceptional portrait lens. I love using it for head & shoulder shots and headshots on a 35mm film camera.</p>

<p>On a 35mm film camera, the 105mm f/2.8 macro can capture a reproduction ratio of 1:1 with a Nikon PN-11 extension tube and a 1:2 ratio without the tube.</p>

<p>If I had to use only one of these two 105mm lenses for food photography and portraiture, I would select the macro. The macro can easily shoot food close-ups and to handle portraits, all I have to do is attach a soft focus filter to reduce its sharpness.</p>

<p>The 105mm f/2.5 can easily shoot portraits but to shoot food close-ups and macro, I would have to use cumbersome accessories such as close-up lenses, bellows, or extension tubes.<br>

<br /> Nikon 105mm Lenses00d3Fl-553854584.JPG.77c695e4142aa2be9ca8471d4091f46c.JPG</div>

• 5 weeks later...