Metz (not the town)

If it comforts anyone here, Sunpak are still in the business making flashes. Take a look at the 120J (Hasselblad D-40 Flash). I was at Tocad America talking with Nick Chersmak (formerly with Kyocera USA of Yashica-Contax) I'm getting all of my Contax 645 & N1 equipment serviced before the Feb. 2015 Deadline. And YES< they do have complete shutters for the Contax 645.

I love all of my Metz flashes that I had over the years: 60CT-1, 60CT-2, 45CL-4, Hasselblad Pro Flash CL4. Powerful, light and a complete system.

<p>I remember seeing the light distribution mapping tests of several competing flashes in a French magazine back in the 80s or early 90s (the only really worthwhile testing in my opinion). Larger Metz units did quite well, the smaller ones less so if my memory is correct. The results and my budget led me to buy a Sunpak 622 (which was followed by a stronger 622 super), also for the variety of interchangeable dedicated flash modules (a change of shoes) and flash heads, from simple to zoom to IR to bare bulb to omni directional to ring light, all with ability to vary power over a large range. I still use it, although its potato masher design is not as discrete as my little Sunpak 36 flash (I think that is the European designation (and GN). </p>

<p>Sad to hear, I really love their flashes except the Metz 76 MZ5. That flash was so problem prone it should have been an omen of things to come( at least mine was). There is still the 64AF-1 which just came out and for the price looks really good. Better get them while they last. </p>