loading film on to a reel

<p>I am a bit of a beginner at photography and one thing i always run in to trouble with is loading my film on to a reel in the darkroom. So my question is does anyone have any tips or tricks on how to get it on right every time ( because I have ruined some film trying to get it on) or will i just take me some practice? </p>

<p>I presume steel (Nikor-style) reels. Some plastic reels are 'self loading' and may be easier for the beginner.</p>

<p>I found that loading the reel is not like riding a bicycle. I have to re-learn it every time I do it..:(<br>

get a roll of blank film or sacrifice a roll of film and practice in the daylight many times until it becomes automatic (again).</p>

<p>Here is a description of one way to load a steel reel if I can get a pdf to load on this forum:</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Make sure you're starting with a good reel. Old Nikor or current Hewes stainless steel reels are the gold standard here, provided that they aren't bent. Many new reels from China come bent out of the box, and you will always have problems if that is the case. Other than that, practice a bit with a roll of junk film until it feels easier. The plastic Patterson reels are easier to learn to load, but many years of teaching beginning photography students tell me that they have other potential gremlins so that learning to work with steel reels is worth the effort.</p>

<p>I prefer stainless steel reels but others prefer plastic. With either, the way to learn is to sacrifice a roll and start by loading it over and over again in the daylight. Do it while looking at first, then not looking, then with your eye closed, etc. Turn off the lights and do it a dozen times in the dark. Repeat until you can do it perfectly in the dark every single time.<br /><br />I learned to do this when I was 12 (along with the other basics of darkroom work) so it isn't that hard.</p>

JDM's PDF raises a question I had never considered, though. Emulsion facing in, or out? The PDF seems to advocate out, I have always done in.

And which end in? I always put the outer, tab end in, but is there an argument to be made for winding with the inner, taped end at the center?

As one gets older, one wonders about these things...

<p>I prefer to do my 120 film on Hewes SS reels and my 35mm on Patersons cheater plastic reels. Just me of course. If you have stainless steel reels take a set of calipers and measure the film slot space all the way around the reel. If you don't have calipers then cut a piece of stiff cardboard exactly the width of the film slot and check your reel all the way around. I've done the bent-reel game before and it's no fun. Now I guard my Hewes reels with my life and I can load a roll of 120 in 30 seconds or less. Some folks say a SS reel is a SS reel, but we that have used Hewes know that not all reels are created equal. My advice is practice in the light with some old film and buy good reels. That was one of the best things I ever did. John W</p>

<p>I learned to use stainless reels when I was about 10, from my grandfather. As he told me, at first I used the curved metal piece to get the right curve, but not so many rolls later, I could do it by hand. I lost the curved thing a long time ago.</p>

<p>But last year, I was trying to load 127 onto a plastic reel, as I don't have a 127 stainless, and my hands were a little sweaty. As the humidity in the bag increased, the film got harder to get into the reel. At one point, one turn contacted another, though the pictures weren't all that important, anyway.</p>

<p>There are also plastic reels that load from the inside out, with a metal hook to hold the film to start.</p>

<p>I now have a new (bought on eBay, but not previously used) Yankee II just like the first one I ever used.</p>

-- glen

<p>I've always loaded 35mm film as well as 120 with the emulsion towards the interior of the reel. That seems to be the most natural way considering the natural curl of the film.<br>

Winding the Paterson's rotating feed reels, I load from the leader side after cutting the leader square, AND after rounding the corners just a bit. I begin the feed in daylight, the finish is with lights off.<br>

I find it MUCH easier to wind 120 onto metal reels - I'm still trying to figure out the best way to load the Patersons with 120 - they are hard for me to start in the dark.</p>

<p>At school we used all metal tanks and reals and it took me a while, before the "light went on". First you can practice with an old roll of film first so you can afford to make mistakes. I would carefully hold the film by the edges with the index finger extended and feel along for the "hooks" important not to let the film crimp at this point. with the finger I would guide the film to the hooks and let the end sprocket holes attach, and then gently roll the film on. You will know within one loop round whether its on the reel correctly, you can tell if there is a little back and forth play on the film, anyways, then roll it on and you can check the play every loop or so until all on. It took me a while, but after I learned what to feel for, I'd get it right every time and it was pretty fast. But its been a while, not sure I could do it right off. Wait to you get to Medium Format....much more difficult. But in any event, practice with a throw-away roll until its comfortable. Really the first placement is the most critical. If its off, the whole roll will be off. Oh yes, agree with Stephen, emulsion side down/towards the center.</p>

<p> For 120 film use self loading plastic, but if I don't do it too often it is re-learn agian type of activity. One of the tricks I used is to cut corners of the film at 45, but not an easy task in the dark with sharp scissors. This helps with not getting film stuck at the beginning of loading it. It takes a good deal to cut it right. I use cotton gloves to load film as well to eliminate finger marks. I know that this process is all about patience.</p>

<p>Stephen, this picture might be useful re. loading 120 on to plastic reels. Put three fingers underneath the film and your thumb on top, then pull the film into the reel. The thumb of my left hand is over the lug at the start of the spiral to feel where the edge of the film is.</p><div>00dByf-555785084.jpg.47de92bf74562af3c45d69be700cf45c.jpg</div>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>After the first few times I thought I had it figured out as well. Then one day I get back in the room and it was as if I had no idea what I was doing. I spent what felt like eternity in there trying to get my film on the reel. Eventually, I found a small method that worked for me. After getting the film on the real, I found that using your thumbs as a guide can help keep the film from rolling or popping off of the real. </p>

<p>I ordered an Omega (Rokonor now I guess) adjustable reel (like the Paterson) that has built in LARGE guide tabs. Received it today and it almost seems to load the 120 by itself! That will now be my "go to" reel for 120. Next B&H order I'll get another one. It may well turn out to be the best $10 I spent on a darkroom thingy. I highly recommend it.</p>

<p>The original model Paterson's will now only be used for 35mm which can be started in the light.</p>