Film enthusiasts - deciding between film / digital or both?

RaymondC

<p>This is hobby stuff, not income/client related. I do have a passion for film photography. I enjoy the slower process, the more steps and the delayed version instead of "instant gratification". To me film is just much more involved. </p>

<p>For my own overseas trips of "enjoyment", I've switched from dSLR to film SLR (35mm) and now looking at moving to medium and large format. I do mainly tripod based work so that is landscapes and cityscapes. If I went to a castle town or to a national park I could very well just shoot film however when we go overseas I do visit a bright modern main city where digital has its own usefulness. Digital allows one to shoot more, handhold it at a high ISO, able to walk on a busy road at night and get a grabshot, can employ strong ND filters (like a 10 stop) and some don't produce color cast on a digital sensor, can take multiple shots for different vehicle or people movments instead shooting multiple frames of film. </p>

<p>Are there those of you who carry both a digital and a film setup or those that carry a high end digital point and shoot? </p>

<p>Well, I mostly use the iPhone if it's not income related. I definitely love film, no question. But it's very easy to be satisfied with the phone's pictures.</p>

<p>I cannot see much point in carrying a digital camera anywhere, as the phone is good enough for spontaneous, carry-around photos. Why carry an M9 (or even a little Micro 4/3 camera) on a regular basis when I already have a digital camera in my phone?</p>

<p>One absolutely must have an actual camera if one wants to shoot film. So if I really want to shoot film - not that I get much chance these days - I will happily take a small kit with me.</p>

<p>Yeah .. that was why I thought of a RX100 even at home - I looks more proper when I am going to tbe cafe or beach with a group of friends instead of carrying a dSLR. The RX100 is again one extra expense though. Many of my images are at night or the golden and blue hour, I love that saturation which a phone isn't able to keep up with. </p>

<p>For what it may be worth: When I am flying, I take digital. When I am at home or traveling by car or rail, I take film. It is simply much easier to take digital through security and on a plane. With digital, I don't have to worry about running out of exposures, or fogging from security radiation, etc.</p>

<p>Usually, I carry only one type of medium. I use film for situation where I know quite well what I'll be shooting and what the situation will be like. So in short: when I know which ISO will suffice, and when I am sure I can work a bit slower and where I already have shots on my mind. Any other situation - digital.<br>

In all cases: SLRs; the only P&S I can see myself getting at this point is the Fuji X100(s/t), and frankly find it too much money given the uses I foresee for it. Most other small cameras, I just don't like using them as much, so my smartphone just as well for the emergencies. But if I really want to make photos, I take a camera with me I enjoy using, and that means an optical viewfinder for me.</p>

<p>It is physically not practical to carry two bags when working. I sometimes take both kits to places and put the bags down, taking out what I wish to use. A relatively recent development is that the lab I use for film, which is the only one left within sensible distance, has begun to take several days to process my film and scan it. This means that I can use film only when there is no urgency. Although I have been using digital SLRs for some years, I still am more comfortable with a film camera (no SLR now, only a Leica). A zoom lens on a digital SLR gives considerable flexibility in certain situations.</p>

<p>I agree about the difficulty of carrying two systems,one digital and one film, although if you are using common lenses for both it is not very difficult.</p>

<p>Film for me is a winner when I use medium format, mainly for B&W, in view of the larger negative and darkroom printing, as I have yet to face the cost factor of medium format digital (Pentax looks like the most accessible from the cost viewpoint but I may well keep my eyes on a high resolution "35" digital, probably mirrorless, for large size prints).</p>

<p>When shooting color and some B&W, digital is the only way to go for me as I don't need to scan to output. It is also preferred for situations where I have to work fast or may not access the subject matter at leisure. The ability to readily correct exposure and try various approaches to a subject with instant feedback is also a great plus. The only downside is the question of optimum print quality, whether at home (expensive capital cost-wise and needing much practice which I already have in the darkroom printing) or at professional or semi-professional print shops, which canget expensive.</p>

<p>It's just too cumbersome to worry about both formats at the same time. I shoot film around home -- it's called "fun".</p>

<p>However, when I am traveling to new (to me) places I carry two digital bodies and their AF lenses.</p>

<p> </p>

I either have both or just film, never digital alone. One of my favorite grab and go setups is a small bag with a Leica

M3/50mm with Tmax 400 and a Fuji X100T, it just covers things so nicely. It's also really easy to toss an Xpan in the bag

with them or have room for other stuff for the day. An F100 often accompanies my D810, D750 or both depending on the

job. Lately I have been shooting on mountain ski jobs with a D750/24-120 and a Mamiya 6 kit, that is a real nice and light

kit that usually includes all three lenses for the Mamiya and a fisheye for the 750.

Since I never want to be without a film camera even when shooting digital jobs, I have a ton of ways of making it all work

together.

<p>When I purchased my first DSLR back in 2004, it was with the intention of using it parallel with film (slides) - which I managed to do for about 2 years. Then I transitioned more towards digital - which quickly became exclusive - I sold my film cameras. Tried to give film another chance when I inherited some 35mm and medium format film equipment - no longer saw any advantage of using film, so that equipment has now found new homes elsewhere. Closed the book on film for good. My wife persisted a bit longer - but has now transitioned into digital as well. </p>

<p>(Small Sensor) Digital P&S - gave up on those as well. Purchased a Ricoh GR last year to have a compact camera to carry around when the big DSLR is too much - it's not a P&S though but a fixed-lens (28mm equivalent) with an APS-C-size sensor.</p>

<p>"It's just too cumbersome to worry about both formats at the same time. I shoot film around home -- it's called "fun"."</p>

<p>I agree with JDM von Weinberg. Film is for "fun" around my home base. On a trip I only carry a DSLR (presently a Nikon D7000) and DX lens. Fortunately, I'm still able in my city (Tucson) to have film processed very well by a local lab (Photographic Works).</p>

<p>Jim</p>

<p>Both. For travel I usually take one or two small medium formats (Fuji GS 645 and a folder), a mirrorless Olympus digital, and a backup 35mm (Minolta X-700 or Olympus XA or RC). This all fits in a backpack easily and gives me a choice depending on my mood that day. The digital is nice to have to ensure you got the shot, but I find the film cameras more pleasurable to use (I just prefer buttons and switches to screens and menus). <br>

At home, digital for grab shots, film for more thoughtful photography. I think there is, and will be, a place for both for a long time yet.</p>

<p>I used to carry an F100 and my old D100 on trips and found that both produced very similar great looking images. I reasoned that if they were that close in quality, then why was I lugging around 2 systems through the airport, on the plane, and around on my travels? Also, by 2009-2010, all the labs in my area were closing and I hated bringing my rolls of film to Walgreens. It was all too cumbersome. I learned quick that all I needed was a good dSLR and one good zoom lens for travel. My D7000 and 18-140mm is all I take with me now on trips.....plus a 20mm f/2.8 for indoor shots with the pop-up. Travel light, go far.<br>

<br /><br />Even walking around town (NYC) I carry my D7000 in a messenger bag. To me, it's not that big a deal to carry and I can fully trust the camera to do its job. I like simple.</p>

<p>Take a look at this B&W portfolio shot back in the 1950's. It's not easy replicating this in digital, although I have seen some pretty good B&W pictures in galleries lately.<br>

<a href="http://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/new-exhibit-show-life-in-segregated-1950s/">http://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/new-exhibit-show-life-in-segregated-1950s/</a><br>

</p>

<p>If I'm going somewhere with my almost 5 year old, I tend to take just the digital (or even just the iPhone, which I always have anyway). <br>

If I'm going somewhere that I might see something wall-worthy, I take both formats. One of my camera bags can hold the dslr and a P645N + an extra lens for one of them (which is usually the 120mm for the 645). <br>

If I'm going out alone to shoot in the woods or wherever, I might have the dslr, the P645N, the PZ1p, and the Chamonix 4x5. I won't carry all at once, but I've been known to keep running back and forth to the car from a waterfall or something to keep switching cameras. <br>

I mostly shoot color with digital and B&W with film, but not exclusively. I still have a darkroom and prefer doing my B&W there (I enjoy it - it's fun for me).</p>

<p>I shot 35, medium format, and 4x5 from the 60's until 2004, when I got a D70 to see what digital was all about. I had already been scanning all my film formats and fooling around with digital printing. I had just purchased a Bronica and a couple of lenses the year before. Well, the D70 convinced me digital was a revolution in photography, and I soon sold all my film gear. I can't image spending the time I did with film now, and, the tools in PS make the creative process so efficient too. I don't miss film a bit. </p>

<p>I have a DSLR, a creaking E-410 Olympus. It works good as a meter for my film cameras, kind of the same thing people use to use Polaroids for, to check the light etc. Otherwise my wife does most of the family snapshot/vacation type stuff with her i-plod.<br>

My favorite film SLR is either an OM-1 or a Pen F, I know, lots of Olympus stuff but they check most of the boxes for me and of course the Pen F is unique, the only purpose built half frame only SLR. (not a converted FF SLR or the full size Konica Autoreflex that could be switched between full and half)</p>

<p>If I get another digital it will probably be a interchangeable lens mirrorless of some type. (When the E-410 completely goes belly up)</p>

<p>I'm not a pro-photographer and I only carry two cameras - my Leica M2/M3 and my iphone. I scan my 35mm negatives and convert my film to digital at the end of the day. The reason I still shoot film is I love using my M2/M3.<br>

I also love using other weird tools like straight razors, winding watches, and fountain pens.</p>

<p>When I first started using a dslr, I kept both my Bronica system and my Mamiya 7ii/3 lenses intending to follow both routes in parallel, or at least giving me a retreat option if it turned out that I just wasn't happy with digital. The reality turned out that the Mamiya made one more trip ( to China) and consumed a dozen rolls. Everything since has been digital alone, and all the film stuff was sold two or three years later. </p>

<p>I shan't get into why outside of saying that most of the convenience /cost arguments in favour of digital seemed to apply to my circumstances quite well and there were no compelling reasons why I felt I had to use film to get the images I want and the prints I need. </p>

<p>So for me, full of good intentions , but didn't deliver.</p>