Nikon FX,which camera ?

raffal

<p>I am planning this year switching from DX to FX .... I was wondering, what camera I should go with ,obviously I need to compromise... but being on a budget ,what is the best buy? : D600,D700,D750,D800,D810 ?.... best bang for the buck? ...thanks .raf</p>

<p>It would have been helpful if you told us what you intend to photograph. </p>

<p>You can currently get D610 for around $1500 and you add another $700 and you get D750. These two have quite good ISO's and bunch of other great features. The D700 was a v. good performer, but the DR + pixels have improved in more current models....not to mention you'll get video and two memory cards capability. </p>

<p>Les</p>

<p>I agree with the above in that we need to know more about your specific requirements and expectations.</p>

<p>I recently upgraded from the D700 to the D810. Budget was <strong>not</strong> my primary objective.</p>

<p>That said, <em>for me</em> at present - the D800 with it's considerably discounted price represents the best bang for the buck.</p>

<p>Without knowing your expectations and requirements I'd say any of the models you mention are great value as they all offer different degrees of technology, features and refinement and to my way of thinking, the current prices now clearly reflect this.</p>

<p>If you are looking at the higher end for FX I found <a href="/equipment/nikon/D810-vs-D750/">this recent article</a> to be of much use as an excellent overview of the D750 and the D810.</p>

<p>I'd likely say D800 as well (having just upgraded mine to a D810, and seen how much trade-in I didn't get). I kept my D700 alongside my D800, but never used it - the D800 is almost always better. But it does depend slightly what you're doing - the D750 is very slightly better in low light and has some video advantages, the D600/D610 are a little faster, lighter and cheaper. The D700 is a lovely camera, but the sensor is very outdated. What you plan to shoot really matters - a D800 isn't really a sports camera, for example.</p>

<p>Best bang for the buck... is DX.<br>

Apart from the question what do you shoot, what do you currently own in gear? What exactly are the shortcomings of that gear that make you decide to move to full frame? Each of those cameras has its stronger and weaker points, so understanding which features bother you the most would be useful. And if you're seriously budget constricted, maybe just stick with DX, which is a perfectly fine and credible format too. FX isn't a must to seem a halfway decent photographer; it's just a different format.<br>

Going to full frame is a quite a big of money; chosing only for 'bang for buck' today can be shortsighted. Buy the camera you are confident about that it will work for you for years, and one you know you will enjoy using, so make very sure you like the way it handles.</p>

<p>What do you photo? How much money did you budget for lenses? When I started using FX I spent over $5,500 on lenses for it. And that's the whole thing--match the gear to what you photo. The camera made virtually no difference at all in my shots, but the new lenses certainly did.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

Rafal, since you asked such a broad question, it doesn't sound like you are ready to buy an FX body yet.

While bodies are important, lenses are even more important. Do you have the right lenses and do you have the budget to

add the right ones to match your future camera?

<p><strong>IF</strong> one wants to stay within the Nikon world, the main reason to go FX is that Nikon doesn't give a damn about fast DX glass....just an endless stream of 18 -- 70/105/135/140/200/300 slow DX zooms </p>

<p>Nikon seem willing to give any optical profits to the likes of Sigma, who are very happy to make fast, innovative and high quality DX lenses.</p>

<p>It will be interesting if Nikon feels the need to go to the possibly pointlessly high resolution of 50Mpix like Canon's new full-frame 5DS ?</p>

<p>I disagree that asking a broad question means that Rafal is not ready to buy an FX body yet. It only means that he didn't write his question in a way to obtain maximum benefit. His portfolio shows that one of his interests is night photography, for which a combination of the right lenses and a body with excellent low light performance is a good idea.</p>

<p>Rafal, given your low light images with available light, from the choices you suggest, any of the sensors will work for you, but the D750 has the latest and most capable low light autofocus, but the D8?? models are very good as well.</p>

<p>Thank you for the responses..I am actually "ready" to go FX...I had D40, D300, D7000 ... but I sold all my DX equipment ,I enjoyed all of them though, the reason being is first for little bit extra money it is possible now to switch to FX if one choses to..second ,photography is my hobby just like some or many of you here so I am not professional obviously ... I am not making living of my photography so investing in expensive gear doesn't make sense--yet "take little extra to go first class " :) Mostly I am interested in low light photography,travel and action ...so speed and "fast lenses" are important..sorry for not clarifying that earlier..:) raf.</p>

<p>Rafal, we (or at least I do) still would like to know about your budget and what lenses you have or are buying.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Mostly I am interested in low light photography,travel and action</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Checking your portfolio, I was going to suggest the D610, maybe used depending on your budget. If you also shoot action, the D750 should be a great choice.</p>

<p>Whether that meets your budget or not, especially when you factor in any additional lens cost, is to be determined.</p>

<p>I'd suggest the d750 for it's better low-light autofocus (compared to d600/610) and for it's smaller size/weight (compared to d800/810.) Having said that, if the cost of the d750 inhibits you from buying the proper lenses for your needs, then the d600/d610 are perfectly fine for almost everything. I have the d600 and love it- it occasionally hunts a bit in very low light, but the files are great. I shoot it a lot with the 28 and 50 1.8 lenses. </p>

<p>Well. If you sold your equipment, and the last camera you had was the D7000, then you are at about a $3000.00 start point just to go with the D610. Lenses and all. If you go with the D750, D800 or D810 you are closer to $5000.00. So before we go trying to justify those numbers we need to know where you are comfortable.</p>

<p>I am concerned with your use of the term "first class". As an example. Comparing the D700 to the D7000, unless you push the high ISO to the limit, you will get better pictures from the D7000 than you will from the D700. It has higher dynamic range, higher resolution, etc. </p>

<p>It is always fun to get a new camera. Help us with your budget and we can do a better job for you.</p>

<blockquote>

<p> low light photography,travel and action ...so speed and "fast lenses" are important..</p>

</blockquote>

<p> <br>

all signs point to D750. though not as sports/action-oriented as the D3/D4, it's more capable than d600/610 and Df. if you absolutely dont need 36mp of resolution, no reason to go with d800/810. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>FE, <$100. ;-)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I think when people asking for FX recommending a film camera is not nice.<br>

There was not an FX film camera. They were simply called 35mm SLR. Very rarely full frame 35mm as versus to the half frame. Sometimes were called double frame by the people who made the half frame. But never ever a film camera is in FX format. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>"take little extra to go first class " :) Mostly I am interested in low light photography,travel and action ...so speed and "fast lenses" are important.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Rafal, here's my suggestion if you don't mind the weight: D800/D750 camera + 24-70mm +70-200mm. Sounds expensive but you may get a good deal at *Bay.</p>