Monday in Nature Weekly Photo March 9, 2015

Laura Weishaupt

<blockquote>

<p><strong>Basic Guidelines</strong>: Nature based subject matter. Please, declare captive subjects. Keep your image at/under 700 pixels on the long axis for in-line viewing and try to keep file size under 300kb. Note that this includes photos hosted off-site at Flicker, Photobucket, your own site, etc. Feel free to link your image to a larger version.<br>

<strong><em>In the strictest sense, nature photography should not include hand of man elements. Please refrain from images with obvious buildings or large man made structures like roads, fences, walls. Try to minimize man made features, keep the focus on nature, and let common sense be your guide. Let's post one image per week. </em></strong><em>More details <a href="/nature-photography-forum/00cgtY">please check here</a>.</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Good Morning,<br>

A color drenched sky is a wonderful sight. This sunrise was a welcome change from clouds, ice, and snow. Has nature offered any color or a welcome change of pace? It's time to get the week started and Monday in Nature is a good place to begin.</p><div>00dAeJ-555502284.JPG.9b6f4681a366edb0b83d0f87fae7185e.JPG</div>

<p>I'm not sure whether this could be classed as colour or a change of pace but last Thursday nature offered me a close-up experience of a predator in action. I heard a lot of squawking outside my window and looked out to see this sparrowhawk had killed a pigeon. It was about 10 ft away from me and stayed there long enough for me to rush off, get my camera and take some pictures through the double-glazing. Eventually it picked up the pigeon and flew further off with it. An extraordinary experience.<br /> Having looked it up, this sparrowhawk (<em>Accipiter nisus)</em> appears to be a female which is quite a bit bigger than the smaller male and so goes for larger prey.</p><div>00dAeN-555502384.jpg.e25f707f56afb883ed14f01b7ce06187.jpg</div>

<p>This is Katie, the resident Mute Swan at White Rock Lake in Dallas, Texas. She is named after a female police officer who works at the park. I have been watching her for at least 5-years and this weekend was the first time I have seen her fly. Shot taken with my brand new Nikon 80-400mm lens. Dallas had 7-inches of snow the day before I arrived.</p><div>00dAeW-555502884.jpg.dcb354a6a2b1220fd91e54b898d72b21.jpg</div>

<p>Another grey winter Monday around here. I am editing some underwater images today so here is a view of the sky upon surfacing from a shore dive in Wakatobi back in 2012. You can see a small boat to the right which I hope does not violate policy, I'm too lazy to clone it out.</p><div>00dAfI-555507084.jpg.d6a3e68e0c1d7e2cdd3eb2d8e768115d.jpg</div>

<p>Here is some <em>breeding</em> color found in Tri-colored Herons this time of year in Florida. It was a crummy day weather-wise but there were several Tri-coloreds with their bright blue beaks 'performing' for their partners. (Real or imagined). The wetlands in South Florida are rich with nests. Great time to be out.<br>

Tom</p>

<div>00dAhc-555513984.jpg.d2d19043d7fe6acf088ade20f5b9abe1.jpg</div>

<p>More a change of scenery for me than color: a little plover gives me the heads up at Devereux Slough in Goleta, CA. Very definitely a change of pace though, it's been a while since I treaded beach and dune sand for a few hours with my optical and tripod-ical ballast as workout weights.</p>

<p> </p><div>00dAi5-555516084.jpg.a051115e0f4bbcf473fda7420809ca79.jpg</div>