That film look - is it largely forgotten now?

RaymondC

<p>I pretty much use digital for family and friends and use film for my own hobby. That look that we got with film is it largely moved away from now? I have Lightroom, Photoshop, and I have played with Silver Efex. Over where I am there are professional photographers who have color and b/w images that look very nice but when I look into them they do have that clinical appearance. Like there is that softer look and texture that you get with film, with b/w film like the older technology films you get almost like a chalky look. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>That look that we got with film is it largely moved away from now?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That look may be getting tiresome (I'm hoping) according to a current cinematographer's not wanting to use "color cliche's" to evoke a period look shooting on Kodak VISION3 color negative film in "The Imitation Game" which I saw on Sony 4K digital theater projection yesterday. It actually reeks of cliched Kodachrome's over saturated candied apple reds and blue greens. Here's the interview of the choices the cinematographer made shooting on film...</p>

<p>http://motion.kodak.com/motion/Publications/InCamera/The_Imitation_Game_Oscar_Faura_Paints_a_Period_Drama.htm</p>

<p>Here's some stills showing its color palette which has been color graded to avoid "color cliche's". Whatever that looks like...<br>

http://apnatimepass.com/the-imitation-game-movie/the-imitation-game-movie-wallpaper-24.jpg<br>

http://static.gamesurf.it/immagini/2014/11272/big/the_imitation_game_625027.jpg<br>

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2014/11/27/1417097394095/Charles-Dance-Imitation-G-010.jpg<br>

http://thefilmexperience.net/storage/2014/theimitationgame-stockholm.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1415909187447</p>

<p>I recently saw the restored version of 1967's "Bonnie and Clyde" on TCM and noticed even back then they were attempting to emulate the look of '40's Kodachrome seen in this still... http://classiq.me/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/faye-dunaways-style-bonnie-and-clyde-10-e1346687451158.png</p>

<p>Compare it to these actual '40's Kodachrome that have a similar color palette...<br>

http://www.autostraddle.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/color-america.jpg<br>

http://www.openmyeyeslord.net/ALookBackInHistory_files/FSA_LA_Frenchies_Bar_and_Gas_Statio.jpg</p>

<p> </p>

The film look you've described is far from

forgotten. It's the new normal. I see plenty of

digital emulations of soft, faded, color shifted

photos, or excessively contrasty and gritty b&w.

It seems too be driven by nostalgia by proxy, a

longing for an era many younger photographers

never experienced. They never saw the results of

fresh color film and fresh prints before fading

and color shifts aged the photos they saw in

family albums.

That look was often considered undesirable

during the peak film era. That's why Kodak TMax,

Ilford Delta and Fuji b&w films were made. Same

with the continual refinement of color emulsions

to get better, sharper, more accurate results.

Look at the ads and tech review articles up

until the 1990s. You'll never find one bemoaning

the loss of softer, less accurate, more grainy

films and prints. Occasionally photographers

would use filters, softening devices, etc., but

hardly anyone preferred inferior films out of a

sense of nostalgia.

But the highly accurate, detailed, nearly

grainless prints from film photos are overlooked

now. Take a look at large prints from medium

format and large format film in a museum or

gallery. I don't see much difference between many

digital b&w photos and those from TMax 100 or

400. It usually requires some manipulation and

faux film effects to emulate the looks of

technically inferior films.

Accomplishing that patina of aged color photos in particular isn't easy. It's difficult to repeat or achieve consistently because it depends on too many variables: materials, processing, environment, storage conditions. It's easier to get that look more consistently with digital editing.

<p>I guess it's all a matter of perspective. I can hardly say I'm anything but a photographic dabbler, but I always loved slides, and my intention when shooting slides was to get good composition and interesting subjects with good color and sharp where it needs to be sharp. Digital photography does not have to be hypersaturated, over-processed and clichéd, just because it's so easy now to do. You can still take a digital camera and go out and hope to get good composition and interesting subjects, with good color and sharpness. Of course now you can dial in your ISO and check your histogram a second later, luxuries unheard of in the film era. </p>

<p>I love film, and its feel, and I love old film cameras too, and I think the best film photography is still hard to duplicate, but I guess I never felt nostalgic for its shortcomings. </p>

<p>The interview Tim referred to is illuminating, as the shooting of The Imitation Game on film rather than digital relates to the texture of film and the fact that the plot of the movie takes place in the 30s through early 50s. The lighting is key in the three eras of the film and he chose different film stocks for the differing lighting conditions. I think that may be more important in photography than whether it is film or digital. I don't know about "clinical appearance" as one can get anything one wants with either medium. I find in still photography that the darkroom printing is capable of providing difference in the print texture although the two (darkroom and digital printing) appear to be coming closer if one wants to pay for the costly paper stock of either.</p>

<p>Everything is related to the nature of the creation desired (film look, lighting, composition) to some point. The Imitation Game is quite successful in many ways, but not fully historical (the female interest is invented, if my readings are right, and the homosexuality of the key person was known to those of his milieu and not something discovered later, although going public led to the inevitable result).</p>

<p>JDM, just read your post. Don't discount Fujifilm, Rollei and perhaps others. We still have choices. What we see today on old slides or color negatives printed is some point in the image decaying process, whereas well processed B&W lasts better and allows a more faithful comparison with digital. </p>

<p>Now that Kodachrome, Polaroid Type 52 4x5, and, yes, even GAF 500 are gone, the only films I sort of care for are Ilford XP-2 and Ektar (the latter if I'm feeling BLUE).<br>

I do however really love old cameras, so I'm in a terrible fix.<br>

Digital scans of Kodachrome can bring detail in the slide that the naked eye cannot see, but digital gives so much more information than film, that I don't really regret the 'passing' of film for my current work -- other than with the old cameras, that is.</p>

<p>In post processing, I have found myself adding phoney film effects to images that were actually shot on film, so I don't exactly feel that the "film look" is gone at all.</p><div>00d7SP-554819884.jpg.86438822d0f487968c9d5be545af0beb.jpg</div>

<p>What I'm hoping for in the future with regard to all color photography both still and cinema is color edits derived solely from a source that reflects a truly original vision rather than homages and influences from the old processed film look.</p>

<p>There's accuracy and then there's the rest. I'ld like to see someone apply their own interpretation of what was seen through the lens without any influences from the past. You know the same way interpretations of reality were required by fine art painters before there was color photography.</p>

<p>Anyone seen this happen, yet?</p>

<p>Of course, what constitutes the "film look" in movies is open to some debate too. I am a fan of some of those old movies, and if you look at some of the best black and white studio work, and the best of the so-called "noir" genre, the quality of the photography, the shading, the tonal range, the lighting, is tremendous. But when Stephen Soderburgh filmed <em>The Good German</em>, he used old style film stock, and supposedly tried to duplicate those effects, and (in my humble opinion) the result stunk. It was terrible, overly contrasty and blown out. What he, at least, considered "the film look" was what to me looked like an artsy-fartsy paean to the appearance of an old movie on late night TV, but hardly what the skilled artists and artisans of the past were producing. <em>The Artist</em><em>, </em>though shot in color and processed for black and white later, does a far better job and, to my perception at least, shows a far better understanding of what it was all about.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Wow! I just revisited that Kodak "Incamera" cinematographer interview link I posted above and scrolled down to the comment section where an old Waco, Texas boy by the name of Sterling Sherrill has posted a link to his film documentary he made titled "Keep Film Alive".</p>

<p>I'ld like to see it to see him state his case. It looks like the movie business is going to have to foot the bill to keep film alive. The billions in profit that industry makes shouldn't make that hard to do.</p>

<p>Whether film stock or digital, some excellent films, international or local, are shot in B&W. The desire to mimic the past is not always the reason ("The Artist" being an exception). It has to do with the abstract nature, the mood or other artistic intent. Same in still photography. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>But when Stephen Soderburgh filmed <em>The Good German</em>, he used old style film stock, and supposedly tried to duplicate those effects, and (in my humble opinion) the result stunk. It was terrible, overly contrasty and blown out.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I noticed that too but wasn't aware Soderburgh shot it on old film stock. What a shame.</p>

<p>What seems to be missing when emulating the old '40's classic B&W is the lack of defined modeling on actor's faces especially medium toned males. Don't know if it's the type of lighting used or maybe red filtering as the cause (see below photo I shot of my eyeball calibrated Samsung HDTV).<br /> I've also noticed strange things going on with digital theater projection that harkens back to the issues with 2nd generation film prints of the past. I saw Hammer Film's "The Woman In Black 2" recently and it was so dark, dim and flat throughout most of the movie I could barely see any detail or definition. It looked something similar to YCbCr (RGB 16-235 compression) color space encoding specs I read about... http://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#newwindow=1&q=For+YCbCr+data+and+all+other+RGB+resolutions%2C+data+has+a+range+of+16-235</p>

<p>I saw this at the theater... http://www.joblo.com/video/media/screenshot/the-woman-in-black-2-angel-of-death-trailer-2-.jpg</p>

<p>But screengrabs online show something with more brightness and clarity... http://wickedhorror.thunderroadinc.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/oaklee-in-bed-700x467.jpg</p>

<p>Something getting switched off between the projector and/or how it reads encoded color spaces on the digital content portion of the hard drive?</p><div>00d7UO-554827784.jpg.52c4b1122ea3fb8fa6a01a9431d87e21.jpg</div>

<p>When I shot medium format and 4x5 it was to decrease grain and increase sharpness, as well as produce a long tonal range if desired. I can do all that now with a D7100. I was impressed even with the 6 mp D70. Tri-X 35mm has its own unique look, but you know, my digital cameras when shooting raw format and at a certain iso and converted to black and white do come close to the look of 35mm film, even when pixel peeping. </p>

<p>It doesn't make sense to me to coin the, 'Film Look,' when there are, and have been so many emulsions that look so different from each other. It is convienent for those to use a films characteristic, whether here or not to make their point that plays well for a thread on the net, and justifies the money spent on their latest digicams that they ironically don't like anyway. So I think many here don't even know what the, 'Film Look,' is. Nothing adainst the OP, but this button is the wrong one with me.</p>

The Good German was shot on color film and

converted to monochrome in post. I've only

watched the trailers but it looked good to me.

More an allusion to noir than a faithful homage.

The effect was more akin to Sin City, sans spot

color. The effect was like I'd imagine a movie

shot with TMax 100 might look.

<p>We live in an era of radically expanded possibilities, where any weekend dabbler has on his desktop the tools to make any exposure, film or DNG, take on a thousand different looks just by clicking. What's disappearing isn't the "film look" -- as many here have said, that's kind of a meaningless term -- but rather certain qualities of attention which the production of prints required in the pre-digital era. Working with a DSLR and good Photoshop skills, you could certainly match the look of a W. Eugene Smith photo, but you'd be missing out on <a href="http://www.theparisreview.org/blog/2013/11/20/in-the-darkroom-with-w-eugene-smith/">the process</a> of attention and experimentation he undertook in the darkroom, so you'd be unlikely to make the same kinds of discoveries, or achieve the same kinds of results. In short, perhaps it's not the "film look" that's disappearing, but rather something like the "film mind."</p>

<p>Lex, The Good German may have been shot on color, but as I recall, the bonus material makes quite a point of its having been shot on difficult to find film, and intended to emulate the director's conception of what an old "noir" film would look like. He was quite proud of using original studios, lights, and whatnot as well. Whatever medium he used, I think the cinematographic result is a wide miss. </p>