35mm Folders

<p>Over the years I've come to realize I just love folders! It started with a 1035 Bessa 6x9 in near mint condition. Then I picked up a 1914 Kodak Special No.1, a 1937 Bessa RF, a Kodak 3A postcard camera, and most recently a Century No. 46 4x5. I'm thinking, "What the heck, maybe I should get a 35mm folder too!" So, what's the "best" 35mm folder? I'm thinking of something that has rangefinder focus, or at least doesn't have only scale focus.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

I am also a Retina lla fan, it being my only camera for years, almost always loaded with Kodachrome. But

I have since used others, I also recommend the Agfa Solinette, with an Apotar or Solinar lens (also

marketed as Ansco Regents). With or without rangefinders. You don't really need a rangefinder, the

learning time for guesstimating distances is very short.

<p>The only folding 35 mm RF camera I have is a Super Dollina II, made by Certo. I'm not here to champion my camera against the Retina in the contest for 'best'; the VF and RF are separate eyepieces, and I find the VF a bit small. It was made for many years, but you don't see a lot of them around (at least not here in the UK). It's a horizontal folder, unlike the Retina IIa. Mine has a coated f/2.8 Tessar and a Synchro-Compur shutter.<br /> Another one you might look at is the Super Baldinette: that can come with an f/2 lens (it also comes with Balda's odd winder-lock button).<br /> Although the OP wanted not to have scale focus, I agree with Charles. I think a wide-aperture lens and a good range of shutter speeds are more important for a user than an RF. I have a Solinette II (mine has an f/3.5 Apotar), and a Balda Jubilette, with Balda's own f/2.9 Baltar triplet (and front-element scale focus down to 0.6 metre!)</p>

<p>Retina IIc is my favourite. Sharp lens, good (excellent) for colour work, looks nice, easy to use and after a service very reliable. AND you can put a 35mm lens on for when 50mm is not enough. The Retina cameras really are standing the test of time and in fact seem more in tune with what we like in a camera nowadays than when they were for sale. The lens is every bit as good as a modern 50 but maybe a bit lower in contrast.<br>

Retina IIIc is nice too and the meter is handy (mine has the Rodenstock lens). The Ib is as they say 'a photographic notebook' and while cheaper is still very nice with the Kodak modified Tessar lens (Xenar).<br>

A tip for you. Get the camera serviced before you head out to burn some film. Jamming old grease and out of whack shutter speeds are not condusive to good picture taking.</p>

<p>I can't imagine a better 35mm folder than my Retina IIIc (though I haven't used a lot of others, so take that with a grain of salt) -- it's a joy to use, and the lens is fantastic. Any of the Retina folders with a rangefinder should be great users though -- which means any of the II or III models, I believe. If you don't care about having a light meter on it, which may or may not work anyway (the meter on mine happens to work and I use it), then maybe go for a II model and save some money. I have a couple of Retina IIa folders that I've been doing a little work on, and the biggest difference I see is the solidity of the whole lens/shutter mechanism on the IIIc compared to the IIa. On my IIIc the lens is rock solid and steady, but the IIa has a bit more flimsy build in the slide-out lens mechanism. It might be that these particular copies of the IIa are more worn out than usual, but the build of it makes me think this might be typical.</p>

<p>I also have a Zeiss Ikon Contessa, which I absolutely love the look of but don't find it as easy to use as the Retina. It spends more time on the display shelf while the Retina IIIc might be out being used. </p>

<p>p.s. - I'm sure some would disagree, but I wouldn't pay the extra premium for the 'big-C' Retina IIIC model. </p>

<p>Do any Retina IIa's have coated lenses? Most of the ones on ebay seem to be uncoated. I liked the IIc but the viewfinder will destroy the lenses on your glasses (if you wear them) if you don't watch out.</p>

<p>I agree with Gus about the merits of the Minox, but feel that perhaps Kent is not looking for such a plastic fantastic...</p>

Robin Smith

<p>If you can live with zone focusing and don't mind the weight I would recommend a Rollei 35. I have an original German f/3.5 model and an early Singapore f/3.5 model. The German one will be going out for service soon. I have two of the early black plastic Minox models and I do not like them. If the build quality doesn't throw you off then an Olympus XA model could be nice too. </p>

<p>I followed the leads here and did more reading. The Vitessa L has the sleek styling and precision I like. I like the Retina in that it has three available lenses and its historical significance (35mm cassettes.) I reallly love the styling on the Kodak Bantam Special, but am a little put off by the hassle of 828 film. Otherwise that one would be a winner for me! I really like pre-War stuff--it's so classy.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>I have a Retina IIIc and like it very much but would caution that using the auxiliary lenses isn't much fun. You have to focus with the rangefinder, read the distance on one scale, then transfer that distance to a different scale. And of course the camera won't fold with the auxiliary lens attached.</p>

<p>Kent in MI</p>