Compact Light Meter Suggestion

<p>The Leica IIIf RD takes amazing pictures - glad I bought it and thanks for your suggestions.<br>

I've got a Sekonic L-558R light meter, about the same size as the camera - interested in a suggestion for a compact and inexpensive, yet accurate light meter. <br>

When using my Hasselblad, I always use the Sekonic.<br>

During my first roll with the Leica, I mostly followed the Sunny 16 rule and had pretty good results. Back in the 70's with my first rangefinder, I believe the only thing I ever carried around was the exposure guide found in a roll of film - still, with the higher cost of film & processing, I'd like to carry a compact light meter as a backup to my judgement.</p>

<p>Surprisingly, I downloaded the Lightmeter app for Android and iPad/iPhone version and it's not that bad as an incident meter. It's called Lightmeter Free. There's quite a few out there though. Download a bunch and see what works for you. They all seem to use the infrared module on the phone to measure light.</p>

<p>The Sekonic L208 is nice, but I'm sold on the L308 because it has both incident and reflected light capability. Pocket sized and a joy to use. The VCII is very good on an M2 or an M4; it's a lot like the semi-spot on my old Canon F-1 because it reads a FOV equivalent to the M4 and M2 90mm frameline.</p>

<p>I'm a big fan of the Gossen Luna-Pro, but there's no way it can be called "compact".<br /> For a modern meter the Gossen Digi-Six is a smaller meter.</p>

<p>For something approaching consistency of period, look at the originals <br /> such as shown here: http://www.kenrockwell.com/leica/images/iiif/D3R_2845-leicameter-2-1200.jpg <br>

Somewhere, there may be still working or 'rehab'd' ones.</p>

<p>A small lightmeter is a good companion. My Minolta Spotmeter or Flashmeter IV are seldom used, although they are very good meters for particular occasions, they are just too cumbersome in many cases for Leica photography. Like Stephen, I find the very light and maniable Gossen Luna Pro digital very handy and it just hangs lightly on its neck cord and doesn't bother the photo process. If a reflected only meter is of interest, the little shoe mounted Voigtlander (Cosina) VCII meter is fine, unless you need to have a shoe mounted VF and don't have the double shoe attachment.</p>

<p>I'm a huge fan of the <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=435535&gclid=CKz0kLK7lr4CFU8Q7AodeikAKQ&Q=&is=REG&A=details">Sekonic L-398A</a>. It is easily fits into a pants pocket, doesn't take batteries, and is durable. Unlike the bubblegum machine bubble plastic of the Sekonic L-208, the L-398A feels like solid Bakelite. There are no gaps in the display for lint to wander into, unlike some meters. Incident, reflective, and a feature for measuring studio light.</p>

<p>I like that so much information can be read so easily at a glance. No scrolling through screens to find what you want. Foot candles, DIN, EV, and of course speed/stop info. It's like using a slide rule vs a calculator. Metering becomes more intuitive with these classic meters. </p>

<p>Of the three meters I use, even an $$$$$$ one, I would part with the rest before I parted with the L-398A.</p>

<p>Really, I have a Sekonic L-208, (3x) Auto Leader L-38, Gossen Profisix, (2x) Lunasix 3, LunaPro, Sixtino 2, (2x) Weston Master IV, WM V, Polaris, (2x) Voigtländer VCII, Leica Meter MR4, Metraphot... and some more, but I like all!</p>

<p>Agree with you Jim. I loved my old selenium Weston Masters V and Euromaster for the same reason. I have a fancy Sekonic spotmeter with zoom and hypersensitivity down to some ridiculously low EV. It's really good and expensive, but it's a battery hog and all the lettering is rubbing off after years of hard use.</p>

<p>My favorite for the M camera would be the original MR meters (if you can get the batteries) or for the IIIf, the VCII meter. Never ever got on with Gossen, despite their great reputation. I've had two and kept them only a few months each.</p>

Robin Smith

<p>Thanks so much - reminds me of a question posed on a motorcycle forum about which oil is best - all great suggestions.<br>

If the iPhone app worked, I'd like that cuz I usually carry my phone with me - holding out for the next generation phone so wouldn't have to upgrade the app for awhile - I've seen an attachment that fits on iPhone that looked pretty neat.</p>

<p>Will check out options still on the smaller light meters - thank you!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I like the Gossen Luna-Pro digital - easy to read and use.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Another vote for this meter, not to be confused with the original Luna Pro. The digital version is a completely different design, with no protruding dials and a nice, clear LCD display. It's not as tiny as some of the meters mentioned above, but it fits nicely in my hand or pocket (smaller, though thicker, than my smartphone). Gossen have made various versions of this with and without flash metering. The current version (which I haven't tried, but it looks very similar to my 'Sixtomat Flash') is the 'Sixtomat F2' ('Sixtomat' has always been the name outside the US, and is now used everywhere): http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1016936-REG/gossen_go_h264a_sixtomat_f2_exposure_meter.html</p>

<p>Richard, what's the lowest realistic EV for the digital Luna Pro? I can accurately estimate down to EV -4 but it would be nice to have something to give me piece of mind when I am doing this in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night.</p>

<p> </p>