Nikon D750

tholte

<blockquote>

<p>"Finally" implies that Nikon has never gotten anything right before. Given that people have been creating amazing photos with Nikon gear for nearly sixty years, I would say that the company does plenty of things right.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>They've certainly got a lot right, but perhaps they should never have 'spoiled' us with the F100, D300 and D700, creating expectations that have rarely been met since. Nikon only really seems to pull out all the stops when under significant pressure from Canon - then they stop worrying less about cannibalising sales from the single digit bodies, and more about losing market share. So here's to a strong, aggressively priced '5D mk IV'...</p>

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I have a hard time thinking that my D800's did not get it right. IMHO..lol...<br>

But I am intrigued with the Sony 7 series which offers a camera specific to the needs of low light functionality, something in the middle and then something at high resolution (needing a bit more light). The only thing that really baffles me is why they did not offer an electronic front shutter for the 7R.<br>

Maybe there is not a perfect camera except the one you have in your hand when you want to take a picture.</p>

<p>It is amusing that the D700 is now described as some huge success for Nikon that they have not repeated. Back then, having "only" 12MP was considered to be a major disadvantage behind Canon, who introduced the 21MP 5D Mark II merely a few months after the D700.</p>

<p>Nikon introduced the D700 on July 1, 2008 @ $3000. There was absolutely no shortage at introduction and the price dropped very quickly. By October, Nikon USA offered a $300 rebate and a lot of stores were selling it at $2450 to $2500.</p>

<p>In comparison, the D800 was the hottest thing at launch. Adorama, Amazon, B&H, etc. had huge waiting lists with all sorts of complaints about shortage. I waited two months before my local store was able to fulfill my D800E order in June, 2012.</p>

<p>Most contemporary reviews of the D700 were very positive, recognising the tradeoff between high ISO performance and pixel count, e.g.:<br>

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond700/32<br>

As for the pricing and availability of the D800, that sounds like more of a problem with Nikon USA's supply chain than anything else. I don't think there were huge shortages here in the UK, and the street price had dropped £600 by Christmas:<br>

http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/graphs/Nikon_D800_Body_graph.png<br>

(to be fair the UK price wasn't exactly a bargain, and there was a pre-launch price hike, sorry correction of an 'internal systems error', giving them plenty of room for discounts).<br>

Nothing wring with the D800 (or D810) and its huge pixel count - it clearly fills a very successful niche, just not quite the same niche as the D700 (hence the interest in a 'D750').</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>As for the pricing and availability of the D800, that sounds like more of a problem with Nikon USA's supply chain than anything else. I don't think there were huge shortages here in the UK, and the street price had dropped £600 by Christmas</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Richard Williams, I am afraid that your memory is not serving you well.</p>

<p>Nikon started shipping the D800 in March, 2012 and the D800 shortage was world wide. See this thread from back then: http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00a822</p>

<p>The initial price for the D800 in the UK was high to begin with (at least compared to US prices), but it actually went further up after introduction before it finally went down months later after the shortage was over. The following news article from DPReview in March, 2012 should remind you what happened: http://www.dpreview.com/articles/5314529035/nikon-uk-d4-d800-price-rise</p>

<p>By July 2012, the D800 shortage in the US was pretty much over; at least the D800 was in and out of stock by then so that if there was any wait, it would be no more than a few days. However, according to <a href="/photodb/user?user_id=2403817">Rodeo Joe</a>, who posts from the UK, the shortage was still serious over there: http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00acIY</p>

<p>Nikon is in the business of making money. Should they create a successor to a camera that they needed to provide a major rebate almost immediately after launch and cannibalize the sale of their flagship camera or one that was initially flying off the shelf for months? I think the choice is very obvious.</p>

<p>I think the ..."Who <strong><em>needs</em></strong> a 9fps FX camera (and can't/won't afford a D4s)?</p>

<p>..........is a very similar question to........</p>

<p>"Who actually <strong><em>needs</em></strong> 36MP?"</p>

<p>The answer, from a business point-of-view, is 'Who cares, as long as we sell them at the price we want'.</p>

<p>...and the D800/D810 is apparently selling nicely.</p>

<p>From a business sense it's either <strong>No Sale</strong> of a D4s or <strong>Sale</strong> from a D700 replacement. Which makes more sense. money or no money? There's a balance, sure, but you need two things to make it balance!</p>

<p>If Nikon can't make a D4S and a lesser D4S, called a D750 or whatever, aimed at more-or-less the same market, but slightly lower spec and cheaper, what were they thinking with the D3 & D700? Now, you can say they won't make the same mistake twice, but you gotta say what were they thinking would happen in the first place? </p>

<p>Maybe, the D4S is over priced?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Shun,<br>

Is comparison of D700 and D800 right? I feel like D600 was D700's replacement. Then question would be: how success of these 2 cameras measure up? Also if D300 successor was D7000 series: how successful was it? Any numbers on cameras sold? There is a huge pressure on nikon (and canon) from smartphone use and (fast improving) mirrorless offers from other makers. Can both companies survive catering only to top end pro photographers who will buy D4, D810? If portrait, school, wedding, product and serious amateur photographers go mirror-less (nikon is not leading in that department) then what?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Is comparison of D700 and D800 right? I feel like D600 was D700's replacement.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Sorry, not even close, or we wouldn't have all these complaints about the lack of any upgrade to the D700 (and D300).</p>

<p>As I pointed out earlier, the D700 was initially $3000, the D600 was initially $2100 (and $2000 for the D610). Just that major price difference ~50% should immediately tell you that the D600/D610 is a lower-class camera.</p>

<p>For all practical purposes, the D700 was a "D3 junior" with the same electronics and AF system. Back in 2008, I was all set to buy a D3 until I saw the D700 in person and immediately decided to save some money. I bought a D700 on the spot. At least in my case, the D700 literally took sales away from the D3. Meanwhile, the D600 has Nikon's 2nd-tier AF system and the consumer-style controls similar to the D90, D7000, and D7100. The D600/D610 clearly posts no threats to any D4/D4S sales.</p>

<p>Hindsight is 20/20. Looking back, in 2008 Nikon lacked a $2500 FX body to counter Canon's 5D, which had been introduced 3 years earlier in 2005, and the subsequent 5D Mark II. Borrowing the existing design and electronics from the D3 was a quick, stop-gap solution, even though it lacked pixel count and hurt D3 sales. Now that they have numerous FX options, I don't see Nikon selling an equivalent "D4 junior" at a 50% discount from the flagship model again.</p>

<p>The landscape is indeed very different today. Smartphone cameras have pretty much wiped out most digicam (i.e. Coolpix) sales. Mirrorless cameras sell well in Japan but not necessarily elsewhere. As far as I know most companies that specialize in mirrorless cameras are still losing money (at least in that line of business). I can see why Canon and Nikon are not eager to jump in all the way. Meanwhile, DSLR is mature technology. The days that most DSLR users upgrade their bodies every year or two are gone.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Nikon started shipping the D800 in March, 2012 and the D800 shortage was world wide. See this thread from back then: <a href="/nikon-camera-forum/00a822" rel="nofollow">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00a822</a></p>

</blockquote>

<p>But does this mean that the D800 was 'flying off the shelves', or that Nikon had simply announced a shipping date that was much earlier than they were actually geared up to fulfill in quantity? (I would guess that the actual global sales figures aren't something that's widely known outside Nikon).</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The following news article from DPReview in March, 2012 should remind you what happened</p>

</blockquote>

<p> Careful reading of my post might suggest I didn't need reminding! ('to be fair the UK price wasn't exactly a bargain, and there was a pre-launch price hike, sorry correction of an 'internal systems error', giving them plenty of room for discounts'). We can give Nikon the benefit of the doubt about the 'systems error' and assume that the launch price was always meant to be £2600 not £2400. In practice, there were retailers advertising it at £2400-£2500 even after the price hike:</p>

<p>https://web.archive.org/web/20140212134952im_/http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/graphs/Nikon_D800_Body_graph.png</p>

<p>By August, street prices were dropping, hitting £2000 in October and dropping to around £1900 by the end of November, 8 months after the official availability date (and perhaps 4 months after it became more readily available, if Rodeo Joe was still having trouble finding one in July). That's a drop of 20-27%, depending on which launch price we believe, pretty much in line with what happened to the D700 over here (which I think went down from £2000 to somewhere in the £1500-1600 range before prices began to go back up due to currency changes, or whatever). There seem to be similar proportional drops in the sale prices of most Nikon models in the first 3-9 months - I'm not sure that we should read too much into the exact timing, which could depend on several factors. Low demand can lead to an early price drop, but so can over-supply. High demand can keep the price up, but so can production difficulties, leading to under-supply.</p>

<p>Would anyone like to open a book on the future price of the D810? Availability doesn't seem to be a problem at the moment. I'd probably bet on some reasonable deals by the January sales.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Richard, do you now remember that there was serious D800 shortage world wide in the first half of 2012, including the UK? As far as I could tell, the D800 was selling very well in early 2012 because quite a few owners were already discussing the so called left AF issue on various forums by late March.</p>

<p>Unlike the D700, which was selling @ some 18% discount after merely three months in the US, US prices for the D800 held steady till the end. Nikon provided some $200 rebate briefly in 2013 but the price went back up afterwards, until the D810 was announced. Needless to say, Nikon is much happier to sell a DSLR at $3000 than $2450.</p>

<p>Currently on Amazon.com, the D810 is #3 along all DSLR sales. The other 4 among the top 5 are all bottom-of-the-line Canon Rebel and Nikon D3300 models that sell for $500 or so. Since the D810 is a fairly new model, the initial demand should be higher, but for a $3300 DSLR that is at best a modest upgrade from the earlier D800 (rather than a totally new, breakthrough design) to have sales volumes on par with $500 consumer models, it is obviously doing very well: http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Camera-Photo-DSLR-Cameras/zgbs/photo/3017941/ref=zg_bs_nav_p_1_p</p>

<p>Incidentally, 18 among the top 20 on Amazon's list are either Canon or Nikon DSLRs. Somehow Amazon puts mirrorless cameras into the same category as DSLRs. Among the top 20, there is exactly one mirrorless camera. Therefore, I don't think mirrorless is exactly taking over any time soon.</p>

<p>BTW, Amazon is showing some real-time data. While I was reading this, the D810 was jumping between #3 and #4. Therefore, the stats could be slightly different by the time you read that link.</p>

<p>"Availability doesn't seem to be a problem at the moment." Richard, you are correct, but I don't know if it was from better inventory management or less demand or both. However, I and many others sold their D800s to help pay for the D810. Check out eBay, it is glutted with used D800s. I question whether the demand for a high MP DSLR has increased or we are just seeing a rotation out of the D800 into the D810. This is a real opportunity for a photo newbie looking to buy a high MP used body.</p>

<p><<Currently on <a title="" href="http://amazon.com/" data-skimwords-word="Amazon.com" data-skim-creative="500005">Amazon.com</a>, the D810 is #3 along all DSLR sales. The other 4 among the top 5 are all bottom-of-the-line Canon Rebel and Nikon D3300 models that sell for $500 or so. Since the D810 is a fairly new model, the initial demand should be higher, but for a $3300 DSLR that is at best a modest upgrade from the earlier D800 (rather than a totally new, breakthrough design) to have sales volumes on par with $500 consumer models, it is obviously doing very well:>><br>

<br>

At the moment. I have to wonder how long that will hold up since it is a new camera. The population of potential buyers can't be big, all in all. I am suprised none of the mirrorless cameras are showing up. That might be because there are so many of them they are diluting the impact of any single model. Or, it might be that cameras are more & more becomming a niche product. People are either just using their cell phones or the 5% (or whatever) that are really into photography skip mirrorless and go to DSLR. It would be interesting to research.<br>

<br>

Kent in SD</p>

<p>If the D750 is to the D4s as the D700 was to the D3, then I would expect 16 mp and thus better low-light performance than if it were to come in with 24 mp. In other words, I am hoping for a poor man's D4s: 16 mp and good low light performance in an affordable package.</p>

<p>Some intermediate number of pixels could also be a possibility--if Nikon could get a 20-mp sensor, but I don't expect that. The Canon 6D has done well in low light with 20 mp, and the new Sony FF has only 12--shades of the D3 and D3s!</p>

<p>I'm not saying that Nikon couldn't make a really good low-light camera with 24 mp, but so far no one has really done that to my satisfaction.</p>

<p>I am emphasizing low-light performance in an affordable package because that is what I am looking for. I am not sure what the market is for a poor man's D4s where low light is concerned.</p>

<p>I do suspect that the D750 at least exists, regardless of what its specs turn out to be. We will know soon.</p>

<p>--Lannie</p>

I didn't care for the D700. The output wasn't sharp enough for my taste. Some people have suggested that the anti

aliasing filter on that body was a bit too strong. I don't know if that's actually the case, but it wouldn't surprise me.

The live view implementation on the D700 was horrible - the mirror jumps up and down pointlessly - but other Nikon

bodies of that era shared the same problem.

The D800/800E are amazing cameras that got nearly everything "right" with the possible exception of sluggish auto focus

in dim light.

<p>If, with the emphasis on <em><strong>IF</strong></em>, the leaked specs emerging are true and the price point is right (!), I can see Nikon selling lots of these.</p>

<p>Probably has...<br>

Twin SD slot, both UHS II compatable.<br>

GPS<br>

WiFi<br>

...and if Nikon want to try and get the jump on Canon, possibly 4k as-well.</p>

<p>Why are we even discussing a camera based on a rumour? Five pages (and counting) of pure speculation, wishful thinking and "what I'd like to see Nikon do is....". I know it's been a slow couple of weeks on this forum, but let's keep a sense of proportion guys.</p>

<p>"Why are we even discussing a camera based on a rumour?" Because it's fun Joe! Listen to the rumors about new cars, new Iphones etc., etc. The rumor I really like about the new D750 is that it may have a bokeh enhancer built into the body so I won't have to rely on my existing cheap lenses to get some decent bokeh. Could be a real game changer! </p>

<p>But where's the D7<strong>2</strong>00? The expected camera at Photokina...:-)</p>

<p>I don't think they have ever co-released an FX and DX camera together...have they?</p>

<p>Mind you, if it is the D700's true successor <strong><em>and</em></strong> the D7200 has all the 'flaws' that made it NOT the next D300S fixed, it's a mighty interesting pairing they've made!!!</p>

<p><em><strong> NAS</strong></em>? what's that..:-)</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>The rumor I really like about the new D750 is that it may have a bokeh enhancer built into the body so I won't have to rely on my existing cheap lenses to get some decent bokeh. Could be a real game changer!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Tim, you started this thread by stating that Nikon "finally get it right" with this so called D750. Of course that suggests Nikon has not been getting it right, at least for some time; that in itself is very questionable.</p>

<p>And by stating that Nikon is getting it right this time, you apparently know, or at least you think you know, some specific details about some future cameras. I wonder exactly which features make it right this time. Are you talking about this bokeh enhancer? Hopefully not. :-)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I don't think they have ever co-released an FX and DX camera together...have they?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Have you heard of the simultaneous D3 and D300 announcement on 23rd August, 2007? Nikon spent a lot of money to fly plenty of people around the world to Tokyo for the introduction, including Bjorn Rorslett and Ellis Vener .... Who knows how much money Nikon spent for that occasion? Unfortunately, the great recession hit the following year and we haven't seen that kind of spending again: http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00MKgI</p>

<p>As I said before, those rumor sites have little creditability. They would hesitate to make things up; a little typo on some web site in some corner is major news for them .... It can be fun if you consider them "entertainment." If you believe in the rumors and are hoping that your dream camera to replace your whatever aging camera is just around the corner, the eventual disappointment will be frustrating.</p>