Too many wall warts

<p>I'm sure I'm not alone with the problem of too many battery-operated devices, each with its own charger, and some with multiple batteries. Then there are a few devices which are frequently used while the majority are used less frequently but need to be up and running on call. </p>

<p>Compounding the problem are devices without separate chargers and need to be tethered to the wall wart for charging, and those bulky 4-AA wall chargers which I need at least 12 batteries on standby, then there are those bulky adapters taking up 2-3 spaces on a power bar. </p>

<p>I've lost count of the devices I should be paying attention to and have neglected. </p>

<p>Can you share how you deal with the problem? </p>

<p>I 'acquired' several 8 outlet power strips from globalindustrial.com (T9F651439) and they are 48" long. They lay on the floor. So, big wall warts aren't a problem. you might also want to get a 'real' multi-AA charger (upwards of 8 to 12 cells simultaneously w/ only 1 plug)</p>

<p>My job is to make sure that devices are charged when needed - phones, cameras, laptops, computers, flashlights, and the list goes on. Same problems as you have Michael - where do we plug all this stuff in. I've got a few favorite plug-ins around the house, but occasionally have to fight for them. You know the drill.</p>

<p>We're renovating our home, and one of the features we're adding is a rechargeable closet in the main entrance. Apparently it's become quite a common request for architects to deal with.</p>

<p>I stripped some 6' industrial power strips out of some server cages that were being decommissioned. These have internal breakers, metal housings, and place each outlet about 6 inches apart. I lay two of these along the back of my workbench, and use a shocking number of the outlets to charge up the stupefying number of devices I now use with batteries. Now that I'm flying cameras on radio controlled drones, the problem has become exponentially worse!</p>

<p>Thanks for the feedback, guys. Reading the responses gave me an idea.</p>

<p>I do use a couple of those steel strips in the basement workshop for power tools along with those plastic channel strips screwed to the wall using clip-in AC outlet modules. I acquired those from a surplus outlet years ago. </p>

<p>In the past, I've used plastic storage tubs with power bars screwed to the side but that didn't work so well and quickly got out of hand as the number of devices grew. A workable solution might be something like David's closet, but instead use an IKEA bookshelf with a steel strip on the back, and a few common power bars on each of the shelves. It should at least keep everything contained. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>I have about 8 different chargers on bedroom window-sill(not including the chargers for my big batteries). The reason why they are in my bedroom is that by the time I get up in the morning my batteries will be charged... </p>

<p>For iPhone chargers, Home Depot has a white "triple" adaptor that lets three of them be plugged in side-by-side and then the adaptor takes up only one outlet space. The iPhone chargers are so small they fit perfectly on this adaptor.<br /><br />For larger wall-warts, some are now being made that hang horizontally rather than vertically so you can get two on a standard outlet and each takes up only one space on an outlet strip. Hopefully this is a trend for the future. For regular ones, there are outlet strips made with the outlets rotated 90 degrees and spaced so they only take up one position, and other variations that make them easier.<br /><br />I have a couple of outlet strips that came with 6-inch extension cords so you could plug in wall-warts and it doesn't matter was size or shape they are. You can also buy those short extensions separately. Unfortunately, they cost more than a standard 6-foot household extension cord.<br /><br />I also use 6-foot household cords. On the kind with a triple outlet, you can usually mount at least two wall-warts, one on each side (with one covering up the second outlet on its side.)</p>

<p>Barry, those two USB ports are convenient, and I've been thinking since more and more devices are UBS chargeable, I might rig a UBS charging station using an old ATX power supply wired to a few inexpensive USB hubs; much cheaper than the commercial USB charging stations that are a couple hundred dollars. </p>

<p>Ane to make matters worse, each device has its own method of signaling full charge: flashing light to steady light, steady light to no light, my Olympus goes from amber to a blue so bright you would think aliens had landed.</p>

<p>For the AA chargers, at least, splurge on something like <a href="http://www.mahaenergy.com/chargers/">one of these</a> from MAHA Energy. They charge up to 8 AA cells, each independently. You can also condition the cells with some models of charger. It takes up only one wall socket, and it is not a wall wart (at least not on the model I have), but a plain plug attached to a power brick.</p>

<p>You can also get wall outlets with built-in USB chargers. Though, IMO, if the outlet is buried behind furniture, it is a lot less useful than if it were above a desk or kitchen counter.</p>

<p>One project I need to get on is to replace all of my 12v wall warts for various drives, etc with a single power supply feeding them all. The plan is to get one 20-30 amp power supply of the type Ham operators use, and the appropriate connections for all the drives, feeding each via a fuse. Not cheap, but losing the rats nest of wall wart wires under my desk would be priceless.</p>

<p>@Larry 20-30amp HAM PSUs drain a lot off current under partial load. - I measured mine once so I suggest to go smaller and maybe green by including a buffer battery and preferably recharged by a solar panel. these are nice to have for emergency use too.<br>

The best way to deal with wall warts in general is a) to label them with stickers what they are good for. b) if imortant ones end in a cable mess with others color code them with duct tape. Since each of them draws standby power it makes sense to put them into a bar with a main switch to be turned off when not in use. Make a cabinet that holds all warts and devices to be charged. For unused devices maybe make an eternal charging schedule calendar " pick 3 or 4 months conveniently spread over the year and a symbol for "charged!" to place there. Keep warts switched off and batteries disconnected after the charging day.<br>

Label USB charging cables too somehow and maybe velcro them all together so none will run away - Right now I am wondering where my P&S's went....<br>

Upon AAs: it makes sense to have them labeled with month & year of purchase. Also get at least one luxury charger thats able to check their capacity. Whatever doesn't work for my cameras anymore is usually still good enough for a clock on the wall. - worst thing about AAs: since usually just one in each set of 4 dies you really need to be able to check them somehow....</p>

<p>also, it makes sense (if you're OCD :) ) to label them as to what set # and what piece number in that set (ie. when I bought 4 4packs of Eneloops, they got labelled 1-1,2,3,4 2-1,2,3,4 etc) so I knew which were purchased at the same time/together. That gets backed up by a spreadsheet of purchase date and charge/discharge values so I can tell if they are losing capacity.</p>