35mm Film Developer? Ratios

<p>I am about to enter the realms of darkroom work after a 12 year hiatus. I have everything I need but am now ready to develop my film and cannot find any formulas ! ie: chemicals to water etc. I use Tmax developer ( 6.oz) and mix 26oz of water. Is this a suitable mix (small tank-2rolls) of TMax 400 or TriX 400plus ? What is the mix for paper with Tmax?<br>

I also have Microdol and D76. Any mixes for film & paper on either of these?<br>

I cant find any formulas for mixes on the Kodak site. Maybe its time to change chemicals to Ilford. Any feedback on these? Kodak used to be #1 but I think they have lost it.</p>

<p>It's not so easy to find things on the Kodak web site, but if you can make your way to the Tmax film data sheet, there are time/temperature recs for all of the developers you mentioned, in a variety of dilutions.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/support/techPubs/f4016/f4016.pdf">http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/support/techPubs/f4016/f4016.pdf</a></p>

<p>The way I searched was to put "Tmax film data sheet" into a search engine, then look for one that seems like a data sheet. So you can probably find the Tri-X data sheet the same way.</p>

<p>From the current Kodak home page, http://www.kodak.com/ek/US/en/Home.htm , under Kodak Brand Partners tab select Professional Photographers and Labs. When that page loads bookmark it. From there click on the Product Information Tab then select Chemicals. On the chemicals page click on the Tech Pubs link or the individual chemical you need info on. The tech pub for that chemical only will be linked on the page for that chemical.<br>

My bookmark for Kodak Professional has worked for 10+ years despite their web site changes.</p>

<p>While Kodak has good info, www.ilfordphoto.com has a lot, too. Somewhere, they have a quick guide to developing film and printing - what you need, how to mix chemicals, etc… http://www.ilfordphoto.com/applications/page.asp?n=9 <br>

The developers you list are intended for film. The usual Kodak one for paper is Dektol. Ilford makes one named multigrade developer (not so creative a name, but descriptive). The packaging for all developers have the intended ratio on them. It's very easy to mix using metric as making them up in multiples of 100ml is easier to my mind than figuring out how many ounces there are in any given volume. But I was a chemist for a bunch of years. <br>

Remember that you will likely screw something up at some point (multiple points if you're like most of us). Learn from the goofs and do it better the next time. At the start, go with the standard and tried and true. It'll be easier for others to help figure out where it went wrong then.</p>

<p>I'll echo Bethe's thoughts... You'll need a paper developer for proper printing and her 2 suggestions are the go-to standards of photography. Your TMax developer will work fine as will the D-76 (I prefer it 1:1). The Microdol-X can look a bit mushy unless diluted and you'll tend to lose film speed. If you try it, you'll likely need to at least 1/2 the film speed for good shadow detail. I was just looking at some old negatives from 15 years back in Microdol-X 1:3 and I had forgotten how effective it could be (these were FP4+ @ 64). Have fun and burn some film re-orienting yourself!</p>

<p>Thanks to all for the input. It looks like I am going to be busy. Since I am now fully retired,I am getting a little excited to get back at it. I have some newer equipment and everything is all cleaned and ready to go. I am still a little rusty loading the film onto the reels. I have 3 rolls ready to develop and one more to go so I can do the 4 at once.<br>

I checked out your link Charles and that is a great place for info. Since I have all the chemicals I will do the Kodak for now until I get a little more familiar with things going on in the darkroom. <br>

Craig- I did one roll with the chemical mix 1:4 of Tmax and film looked a little dull and uninteresting.Not like I used to get but I attribute that to being a greenhorn again. I think the next thing is exactly what Beth said, Back to basics and go from there.<br /> ( GEEZE! I hope it all comes back to me )<br>

Thanks again-<br>

Jim</p>

<p>"I have 3 rolls ready to develop and one more to go so I can do the 4 at once."</p>

<p>Maybe it would be better to do one first, and see how it goes (including printing). Then the others might be better done a bit differently (more/less contrast, or maybe improve some problems with dust and drying)?</p>

<p>Just a thought.</p>

<p>both developers are fine,<br>

there are a few film/developers<br>

that are not reccomended. Microdol is good for<br>

most films but is a solvent ( fine grain) developer)<br>

d-76 is almost a universal developer.<br>

For best results usew a dinuted version odf d-76<br>

as a oine shot.<br>

look at the covington hc-110 page and DO NOT<br>

use the kodak directions. Instead dilute the hc-110 syrup and use it as a one shot fresh every time.<br>

but you may prefer to use the Kodak powdered developers or the gebnreic equivalents of d-76<br>

sold by dfreestyler and untrafine online.<br>

Ilford sells id011 which is almost the sAME AS D-76.<br>

iN GHENERAL A LIQUID CONCENTRATE IS EASIER AND MORE CONVENIENT TO USE.</p>