Scott Kelby switches to Canon

kerry_grim

<p>Interesting video, although Scott Kelby is always such a goofball. I had dinner with Rick Sammon once, however, and he's a great guy. I suspect there might be a little more financial incentive behind the transition than Scott let on though.</p>

<p>The funny thing was that Scott said he likes the ergonomics of the Canon better than the Nikon and that they reminded him of the better ergonomics of Apple products. Yes and no. I like Canon ergonomics much better than Nikon, but I like PC ergonomics much better than Apple. The Apple OS seems like Reverse Polish Notation to me, if you're old enough to remember that. Your mileage may vary.</p>

<p>Cheers.</p>

<p>PC "ergonomics" better than Apple? ? ?</p>

<ol>

<li><em>ergonomics</em> refers to actual ease/efficiency of use as opposed to what one is habituated to.</li>

<li>ROFL</li>

</ol>

<p>It was our own Bob Atkins who was among the first to mention some degree of relationship of the Apple OS and Canon EOS. Played a minor role in my own choosing of Canon for digital, despite having been a Nikonista from 1971 to 2004.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I *love* RPN :)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yep, still have my 11C and a few other HP calculators. Even purchased the app for the iphone.</p>

<p>Scott switched to Canon some 5-6 months ago - so this is hardly news. If someone sent me a bunch of stuff to try out for free, I'd give it a whirl as well ;-)</p>

<p>Most people tend to think the <em>ergonomics of</em> what they know and use is better than the others. Indeed, it is for them. I've used Macs since 1984 when I wrote my MA thesis in Word 1.0, before Windows and the PC version of Word existed. The Mac OS has gotten more Windows/PC like since OS 10.x debuted a decade ago and has lost some of its simplicity albeit the integration with their hardware is still top drawer.</p>

<p>I've always liked the feel of Nikon cameras better than Canon but could never get along with their metering or user interface.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<blockquote>

<p>It was our own Bob Atkins who was among the first to mention some degree of relationship of the Apple OS and Canon EOS.<br>

</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Really? My brain must be failing as I don't remember saying (or even thinking) that! Anything is possible I guess.<br>

<br>

I'm also a fan of RPN. Regular calculators always make me have to stop and think about how to chain calculations. Postfix notation just makes sense!<br>

<br>

Give things a few more years and most cameras will probably be using an Android or Android like interface anyway.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I don't remember saying (or even thinking) that!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yeah, I think you really did. It was the final bit (along with your information on using my old Nikkor lenses on EOS cameras, to be sure) that tilted me over to EOS.<br>

It was something along the lines of Macintosh users would find the EOS cameras a felicitous match.</p>

<p>We're talking sometime in 2004 here, so brain failure on your part is not the only option.....</p>

<p>I switched to Canon from Pentax about 15 years ago. Never had a problem with Pentax ergonomics but have never gotten quite used to Canon ergonomics.<br>

With Canon I think part of my problem is that I have moved between rebels, xxD and xD class and the ergnomics actually changes between them, both in terms of button placement and which buttons and wheels do what.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Who switches which direction is pretty much completely irrelevant. Photographers switch both ways (and in other ways) all the time, and for a range of reasons. This is non news.</p>

<p>Of all the decisions you'll make as a photographer, "Nikon or Canon?" is just about the very least important. </p>

<p>Dan</p>

<p>When I bought my first Canon (5D Mark II) after many years as a Nikon owner, I had a similar reaction. I was prepared to struggle, because I'd read so many comments on the Internet about how confusing it is to switch brands. Nonsense! I picked up and Canon and loved it immediately. It was easy to use and it had a fun sort of vibe that my more clinical-feeling Nikons lacked.</p>

<p>Then I compared the 5D2's files to the output of my D700 and loved the Canon even more. That day, the D700 went into early retirement.</p>

<p>When the 5D3 and 1DX came out, Canon supercharged their autofocus system. I understand why Mr. Kelby mentioned autofocus numerous times in his interview. The AF on the latest generation Canons is like a gift from photographer heaven. Nikon's AF is okay, but Canon's AF is in an entirely different league.</p>

<p>So, what's my favorite camera today? Gven that I usually shoot stuff that doesn't move very fast, the Nikon D800E, because for sheer resolution and dynamic range horsepower, it can't be touched. But for sports and events, I'll grab my Canon bag 10 times out of 10 and leave the powerful but ponderous Nikon system at home.</p>

<p>Your mileage may vary.</p>

"I suspect there might be a little more financial incentive behind the transition than Scott let on though."

Ya think?

I have shot with Canon and Nikon interchangeably since about 1992. Both cameras have their great points. I never felt

really, really comfortable with the handling of the Canon DSLRs however until the 1D X, and I started shooting with the 1D

Series beginning with the 1Ds Mark I and 1D Mark II. The 60D and 5D Mark III are pretty nifty too. Never ever liked the

5D or 5D Mark II bodies.

The 5D III and 1D X have far and away the best Autofocus of any AF camera Canon has ever made and I love the deep

and powerful level of customization you can do with the AF system in the 1D X. The improvements in the AF system of

1DX and 5D Mark III is clearly a response to the AF debacle of the 1D Mark III and Mark IV. Another thing I like about

the 1D X is that they broke away from the CF + SD combination to go with a CF + CF pairing. Today I shot with both my

1Ds Mark III and 1D X. The 1Ds felt crude by comparison.

One the other side every Nikon SLR/ DSLR I've ever used has just felt automatically natural in my hands. Also at ISO

settings above 6400, and arguably above 3200, the NEF files from the Nikon D4 have better dynamic range, slightly

cleaner blacks and very dark tones, and a better S/N ratio than the .CR2 files from the 1D X. And the Nikon viewfinder is

more comfortable and easier to see the entire frame.

In the end these differences in image quality and handling are pretty minor and I suspect the differences in out of camera

color rendition and handling are personal biases.

We are probably coming to the end of the big DSLR era, and in a few years even something like the 60D will be

considered a large bodied camera. I think that will be a loss. The way a camera feels in your hands is just so important

yet impossible to quantify. Everyone who reviews cameras regularly -like Bob Atkins, like me - knows this.

And I still like RPN as well.

<blockquote>

<p>I suspect there might be a little more financial incentive behind the transition than Scott let on though.</p>

</blockquote>

<blockquote>

<p>Kelby decided that money in the bank was more important than a little shadow noise. :-)</p>

</blockquote>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Ya think?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I'm sorry. Did I stumble across the Nikon forum by mistake?</p>

<p>Why is it so difficult to believe that the guy just really likes the Canon bodies for the reasons listed?</p>

<p>More accurate autofocus. No one here who has shot recent Canon and Nikon bodies side by side would disagree with that one. Canon clearly leads here.</p>

<p>Uncluttered, customizable interface. It's a personal choice, but I see his point.</p>

<p>Scrolling through image review with the wheel on the back of the body. Your Canon bodies DO have wheels on the back, don't they? I can see how this feature could be an asset on an NFL sideline.</p>

<p>I don't see the point of making cynical "<em>he only did it for the money</em>" comments.</p>

<p>Dan, I didn't say he did it *only* for the money, just that money may have been an incentive to switch. Who knows? Maybe he approached them? But I'm betting he didn't switch without incentive of some kind.</p>

<p>Anyway, I don't really care. I shoot Panny m4/3.</p>