Scott Kelby switches to Canon

kerry_grim

<p>When you come right down to it, <em>all</em> reasons for switching end up being highly subjective and not at all about facts<em> </em>concerning one camera or another. If one brand was truly significantly better than the other in concrete and universal ways, one brand would continue to fade away while the other predominated, and we would see differences in photographs from both.</p>

<p>That hasn't happened. Both brands seesaw back and forth in popularity as new models and features are introduced, and fine photographers prove daily that they can make outstanding photographs with either... and you cannot tell at all which brand was used when you look at their photographs. </p>

<p>It really doesn't matter whether you choose Nikon or Canon. Really. They are both very good.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I do. How much have you shot with the D4 as well as the 1D X?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Zero. My hands on comparisons have been between the 5D Mark III (the clear winner) and D800 and D800E.</p>

<p>Have you spent time with the 1DX? Do you feel that the D4 is comparable?</p>

<p>I guess I should add: do you have information that supports the notion that SK based his switch on financial incentives?</p>

To Dan South:

I've shot tens of thousands of frames with both. Much more with the 1D X than with the D4.

I've shot more with the D800 & D800E than with the 5D Mk III but if I was in the market for a camera for tripod based

shooting and did not already have an investment in either company's lenses and lighting, there's no debate: I'd go with

the D800/E.

Why? Dynamic range and resolution.

The D800 is a more demanding camera than the 5D Mk. III but the rewards for better shooting discipline are awesome.

Short of spending $10,000s on a 50, 60, or 80 Mp medium format system the flagship Nikon is the best performing digital

camera on the market as of 1/24/2014.

But G Dan Mitchell makes the most salient points on this discussion: why someone chooses camera X over camera Z is

extremely subjective and should be. And both brands make excellent cameras and lenses especially at the high end where one

will likely run out of what they can do before they run out of camera capabilities.

<p>Why should I be concerned about what Scott Kelby uses? When I first started taking one-day PhotoShop classes from his company 8, 9 years ago, he was using a very consumer oriented Nikon D70; at the time I was using a D2X. Kelby's PhotoShop training has been very good and he clearly knows how to market his company. However, I never feel that he is all that great a photographer.</p>

<p>During the mid to late 1990's, nature photographer Art Wolfe's car got broken into in San Francisco and he lost all of his Nikon gear plus a lot of exposed film that had not been processed. Wolfe approached Nikon and asked them to sponsor him, and Nikon declined. Wolfe then approached Canon and Canon agreed to sponsor him. Wolfe has been using Canon equipment ever since. My wife and I were on the same cruise with Wolfe in 1998 and he told me that story (from 1 to 2 years before). As a photographer, I think Wolfe is far more accomplished than Kelby, and as far as I can tell, Wolfe's photography is just as good with either brand of equipment.</p>

>> I'd go with the D800/E. <<

Then we agree. If you'll note from my earlier comments, I came to the same conclusion with the caveat that I prefer the

Canon for action and events. Dynamic range and resolution are wonderful, but you need to get the shot before it matters.

I've missed some critical shots due to the sluggishness of the D800's autofocus performance. The 5D3's AF is in a whole

different class.

>> Why should I be concerned about what Scott Kelby uses? <<

It's not a matter of concern, simply a topic for discussion.

Criticize if you wish, but Mr. K has made a choice based on the FEATURES that appealed to HIM rather than doggedly

clinging to the same brand forever just because he's a "Nikon guy." Choosing a camera just because it's "my brand" is

even more foolish than choosing one because a well known person uses it.

>> I never feel that he is all that great a photographer. <<

Are there photographers who are better than you? Does that mean that we shouldn't read your reviews of listen to your

advice? If you look hard enough, you'll always find someone with better skills or greater recognition. That doesn't

necessarily discount the value of one photographer's opinion.