Do You Take Deposits for Booked Sessions?

rnelson

<p>A friend of mine recently had a client that wanted an family photo shoot on location. The client switched the time and date several times (at the last minute, btw), and then decided not to hire a photographer after all. </p>

<p>Does taking a % deposit of the job eliminate this scenario?</p>

<p>Does anyone ever keep the deposit from clients for no-shows?</p>

<p>I don't shoot weddings, which I realize booking for weddings is handled differently.</p>

<p>Thanks,</p>

<p>Randy -</p>

<p> </p>

<p><em>Does taking a % deposit of the job eliminate this scenario?</em><br>

It won't eliminate it but it does reduce it and you get money for your time.<em><br /></em><br>

<em>Does anyone ever keep the deposit from clients for no-shows?</em><br>

If you don't want the first scenario then you should keep the deposit.<br>

Your schedule is a promise not to book anything else that day and you should be compensated for potential lost business. I return a deposit if there is reasonable advance notice to make another booking<em><br /></em></p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Do You Take Deposits for Booked Sessions?"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes. Definitely.<br>

I predominately, now only shoot Booked Portraiture as my Photography business interest, but I don't see much difference between taking a deposit (<strong>and having a contract</strong>) for a booked Portrait Session or a Wedding - in both cases the client is holding my time at their disposal and not allowing me to allocate that time otherwise.<br>

<br>

*</p>

<blockquote>

<p> <br>

"Does taking a % deposit of the job <em><strong>eliminate</strong></em> this scenario [The client switched the time and date several times (at the last minute, btw), and then decided not to hire a photographer after all.?]"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>No. But it does ensure that I would be compensated somewhat by the Prospects' inconsiderate actions.<br>

<br>

*<br>

</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Does anyone ever keep the deposit from clients for no-shows?"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I certainly would, but I have never had to. <br>

I have had a few alterations and cancellations over thirty or so years, but all for valid and understandable reasons - in these cases we simply rescheduled. <br>

The scenario that you described, however, is just a display of arrogance and inconsideration and I would definitely keep the deposit, in this case.<br>

Also, I think that you need to be careful about using the word "deposit" as the word has different meanings in different legal jurisdictions: I think that in USA the word “retainer” is the correct word to use: but you should check that with a legal/contracts person.<br>

<br>

*<br /><br>

<br>

From the way you have framed your question, it appears that you might not be requesting the Prospect to sign a contract (thus becoming a 'Client') - if you are working without a written contract, then I advise you to re-think that. <br /><br>

<br>

WW <br>

</p>

<p > </p>

<p>Thanks for the replies. Follow up...</p>

<p>How do you take deposits? I can take CCs via pro-pay over the phone, but do some clients mail a check? I think it might be impractical to meet with every client prior to a session (in the case of weddings - which is not my focus - yes I would certainly meet with the clients).</p>

<p>Randy -</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"How do you take deposits?"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>By Cheque, Cash or Credit Card.<br>

<br /> I do meet personally, prior to the shoot with all new Clients; including Portrait Sessions, for short causal session it might be at a coffee a week before at a suitable mutual time - they need to sign the contact (in person, in front of me) and I need to sign their copy of it.</p>

<p>WW</p>