Paterson Chemistry No Longer to Be

PatB

<p>I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I found out earlier today that Paterson Photographic UK have stopped making their chemistry - amongst which was my favourite B&W developer Aculux 3 - due to poor sales. <br>

It's a real shame - very good chemistry at affordable prices. Time to start testing again... Any suggestions for a similar liquid developer?</p>

<p>Sorry to hear that. They'd already discontinued my favorite product a few years ago - Accutone selenium toner, which imparted a lovely warmth lacking in Kodak's rapid selenium toner. Combined with Ilford or Agfa warmtone fiber paper and Alta ZonalPro HQ Warmtone developer, the results were wonderful. Now Agfa is gone, and I'm not sure whether Alta still makes photochemistry.</p>

<p>Places like <a href="http://www.freestylephoto.biz/category/11-Chemicals">Freestyle</a> (may the gods favor them) and, for more boutique chemicals and such, <a href="http://stores.photoformulary.com/StoreFront.bok">Photographers' Formulary</a> (likewise) are still good sources of chemicals, both raw and already made up.<br /> In not too many years we may be back to the mix-it-yourself procedures of the 19th century. I've always been sort of tempted by the thought of wet-plate stereo photography. ;)</p>

<p>Maybe some of these will have their formulae published now that they are gone? At least some formulae from the same families are available in things like <em>Film Developing Cookbook(s)</em> (Anchell and Troop)</p>

<p>Seeing the 'writing on the wall", I recently mixed a batch of "Paradinol" developer -12 Paracetamol capsules, plus a couple of other simple chems.<br>

And ran a double test on this bitches brew compared to my original Rodinal ,same test film,same conditions,processed in tandem.<br>

Box speed; same density,same gradation. It ain't over,till it's over..</p>

<p>For two years now I've been mixing Mr Crawley's FX-37 and have found the results consistently admirable with the 35mm films I use most, i.e. Rollei Retro 400S and Agfa Photo APX100. Even very 'thin' negatives yield excellent scans.</p>

<p>Another formula I use often is PC-TEA. These two developers have freed me from the necessity to rely on any commercial products. Both formulae can be found somewhere in these forums, I believe. </p>

<p>There are plenty of good alternatives to Paterson developers. It is bad news though none the less that their developers are no longer available.</p>

<p>If you are OK with mixing stock solutions from dry powders, then you wont go wrong with Kodak D-76 or, Ilford ID-11. Ilford Perceptol is also very good if you can withstand a small loss of film speed, although it is more of a niche product than a general use developer.<br>

Stick with the tried and trusted processes and enjoy your photography.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>After a long absence I decided to get back into home processing about 10 years ago and found I could no longer get Acutol, my favorite developer. I used ID11, but I don't like it as much. APH 09 from AG is very good (Rodinal) and the cheapest I can find. I still have nearly a litre of Aculux (for faster films) AND to my great surprise, I discovered 250ml of Acutol, unopened, seal still intact! I hope it's still usable. I'll risk a roll of 120 to find out. If not it's APH- R09 from now on.</p><div>00c2Ap-542814584.jpg.237800783c043255c2409a33c106f2dc.jpg</div>

• 4 months later...
<p>Acutol was my very first developer back in, oh, about 1973. That was when I was struggling with my father's 1950's Gnome tank and Gnome enlarger. Little did I know it was the start of a life long chemical addiction - I now have a fridge full of liquid chemicals and a freezer for powders and films!</p>

<p>Note that ADOX just released the ADOX FX-39, this is the way they introduced it in their Facebook group a few days ago:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>After Paterson had no interest in continuing the chemistry line we rememebered what we had promised Geoffrey Crawley about 10 years ago: "to keep his baby allive". Here he is again. We hope the 6 months interruption of supply has not led to escapades by its fans.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>http://www.fotoimpex.de/shopen/chemistry/adox-fx-39-500ml.html</p>