Almost placed a film order

<p>I don't know anyone who pays $4.20 for a roll of 4x5...in fact I don't even know of anyone with a roll of 4x5. Per sheet, 4x5 E6 is about $3-$4.50. I have 100 sheets of Velvia that will likely take me years to shoot, that is what I bought it for, just the fun of looking at a big juicy chrome on the light table. Those days are coming to an end, why not have a little fun with it once and awhile....<br>

Black and white, now that is truly economical and artistic stuff from start to finish, that's my bread and butter....</p>

<p>I shoot many types of films and many film cameras I have bought at good will for under 30 dollars. I just bought a ricoh mirai for 10 dollars. Looks brand new and came with a battery. I like using different films in different cameras and shoot various types of films, from the ones that are out there to the alternative. I have bought some from Ultrafineonline for under 2 dollars a roll cold stored. I have expired film fridged and I cross process all my slide film to get the effect I hope to get. I will keep shooting as long as they still make it.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>What does it include? Develop, print, scan, upload to website and ship CD back?</p>

</blockquote>

<blockquote>

<p>..in fact I don't even know of anyone with a roll of 4x5</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Is it any wonder some people don't want to offer help on here? I gave the link to the website, go and have a look if you're interested. As for rolls of 5x4", surely you knew what I meant.</p>

<p>My local lab charges $12 to develop and mount a roll of 36 exposure E6. I actually asked them once to leave the film unmounted and uncut, because I was hoping that would reduce the amount of finger prints and dust I was seeing on film that they developed, and they charged me $14 per roll for that! They claimed it was $2 extra for special handling.<br>

I used to use the Fuji mailers but now they are gone. I'm probably going to switch to Dwayne's.</p>

<p>@Jamie - I may have a look at these guys, as I am in New Zealand and have been shipping to Dwayanes since our local place charges $17US for development and $5US for mounting. </p>

<p>When you get the 2.29 deal that is sleeved right how is it delivered, is it safe? If I get them mounted are they mounted in plastic boxes like Dwaynes?</p>

<p>IMO, it's what their preference and priorities are. Instead of a $1000-2000US digital body, one could get a lot of film and one doesn't have to outsource scanning one can scan them themselves. Does one need to shoot 2,000 frames every week ... for hobby work. At the end of the day the digital route is going to cost maybe $2,000 for a prosumer body and the film route will be film and lab costs at maybe $20US a roll all up from the likes of Dwaynes or less for C41 or B/W.</p>

<p>For casual shots there not much wrong with a DX sensor compact and in some ways it can be better. Or even a smaller sensor.</p>

<p>From my spreadsheet B/W in the USA I am not from but I benchmarked them from the likes of B&H if you do a plan of 5yrs b/c the stop bath last that long the fixer 6 months, the developer 6 months for powder or 2 or 3yrs for liquid concentrates and forever the rinse assit (Photo-Flo). So you get enough of the others to do a full 5yrs service. Even if you went for the smallest powder that makes 1L of chemistry ie - the most uneconomical method it cost you $1.75US in processing per roll. This 1L of powder chemical does 6 rolls in its 6 months time.</p>

<p>Ok - we have digital but do people really need to shoot 5,000 frames on a holiday. Granted this isn't gonna be for action style photography.</p>

<p>It could just be me but .. I get a $2,000 digital body and I look at the real outputs I have ie - the amount of photographs I really like. If I picked up a $50 film body and some rolls of film I look at the output again. The payback with film seems to be higher at least financially. Not counting that I enjoy the film look a bit better. </p>

I have well over 150 rolls of film in my freezer but I ran out of things to take pictures of. I don't know how anyone shoots

2000 frames of anything. Why would I need a digital camera?

I'm going to have to start traveling just to use up the film I do have.

<blockquote>

<p>When you get the 2.29 deal that is sleeved right how is it delivered, is it safe? If I get them mounted are they mounted in plastic boxes like Dwaynes?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The £2.29 price is normally plus 20% VAT (Total £2.75) but if you're from NZ you could ask them to leave off the VAT because you are outside the EU. If I remember correctly, the finished negs/slides are supplied cut into strips of 6 frames and sleeved. They are then packed with stiff card around them and sent by trackable delivery. I don't know how they package mounted slides as I never get mine mounted. The crappy UK postal service charges a lot more for sending items thicker than 1 inch so almost all UK processing companies have now ditched the plastic slide boxes in favour of plastic sleeves so that they can be packed into packages thinner than 1 inch.</p>

<p>I do my own C41 and BW. Both are easy, C41 is even easier once you get the temp control, which isn't too hard. I do it in my kitchen sink. E6 isn't hard as well, there are lots of youtube videos how to do it. (I'm actually doing C41 right now)<br>

As for me, I don't really care about E6 that much, I like it for few shots here and there, I might use about 1 roll of E6 per 30-40 rolls of C41 and BW. Digital is fairly similar DR wise. I like the huge DR of C41 and BW film. Digital still can't compete with it, especially when talking about medium format cameras.<br>

Also I wouldn't call shooting less limiting yourself. I prefer for every shot that I take count and be as close to perfect as possible. I rarely bracket or take more than 1 photo of the same scene. If I want to fire away I will do it with BW film to try different developers etc... or my APSC digital.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>I like what the old guy said that film is hardcopy while digital does not exist other than in data. Sure you can write the digital data on a DVD but it is not the same. <br>

I bought my first SLR 1v in 2009. It is film and I bought it new and I knew all the details on DSLR from the 1d to the 1dx. To this day I do not like the look of digital photography. The problem with film is not the cost of developping I think, $4 per C41 roll in the US is not bad. It is scanning that cost a lot. And for years I have tried to hone in on which drum scanner or CCD scanner to buy. I wished digital had come a little latter so that the film scanner personal user offering had had time to consolidate. I still don't own a scanner because it is so damn hard to know what you are buying and it is almost collector ware now. Nikon CCD scanners is what I considered last but could not find any good one under $2,000. It is that and not the cost of film processing that is the nail in the film's coffin. I had hoped I could find a good scanner for cheap and learn develop C41 and B&W at home but I feel it will not happen without some coaching because everything out there is telling you, don't go that way which is frustrating because i like film.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
I've never shot as much as the topic poster, but most of my years of photography I have worried about the expense. When I was first taking pictures, and recently, I've contended with low income. In between, when income was higher, there were more competing expenses. But last spring I decided to stay with film photography, despite having also been taking digital. While both give you "pictures," they seem to be rather different mediums, or at least the way I have been doing it they seem so. I seem to rarely make prints of what I take digitally; they mainly get viewed on the computer. As such, many of them seem more like snapshots. Whereas, with film, my inclinations are more often either more artistic, experimental, determined, or involve exploring the capabilities/functionality of a camera or lens. So I take less film, but often with more care. As for development options, my local Walgreens still develops c-41 in house, I am trying some of the mail-order options, and I am (mentally, if not physically so far) moving toward developing my own B&W again. To save on film costs, I check prices at local discount stores, look for sales at online photog supply houses, and watch for bargain auctions/offers on 'bay for current, recently expired, or cold-stored film. Now to the question of whether film is dying. The same was said of vinyl records, which were said to be deep in their grave for several years; yet in the past few years more and more new albums have been released on vinyl, and there has never been a time during my 60-some years when a top of the line turntable, phono cartridge, stylus, and associated set-up wasn't available for a price more valuable than my house and vehicles combined. Vinyl isn't dead, and while much is changing about the film photography world, I see it living on for some time.

<p>Started shooting film 15 years ago with a Nikon N70. Got a Nikon dSLR in the mid-2000's. Fun to use but left me unsatisfied....."if everyone can do it, what's it really worth" sort of thing. <br>

Couple of months ago I got a Leica M5 so I could shoot film again. I love shooting film again, what a joy it is....you live and die by your own compositions and it prevents you from "spraying and praying".<br>

I'm in the NYC area. B&W develop only costs $6.44 and I scan them myself at home + $4.50 for Tmax 400 24 exp, is about rounded to $.50 a frame. Kodak Ektar 100 is $6 for 36 exp + develop only at the lab is $3.75, I scan at home, and it all rounds out to about $.30 a frame. Also picked up a Leica R4, so both my Leicas can be loaded at any given time with either Tmax or Ektar.<br>

Nowadays, I only use my D7000 when I'm on assignment for my local newspaper. <br>

Long live film.</p>