new camera

Hi , i want to buy a new camera and i really dont know where to start! Ive read a a bit and people are saying os not really the brand that

makes the difference but the lens and what i

am looking for! Is there someone that can help me with finding what would be a better product for me since i know if i go direct to the

store they will try a sell me the one that is the most expensive! I know that i will have to go and try them before but i will like to have a little

bit of information that when i get there that they see that they wont be able to sell

me the most expensive!

Right now i have a sony DSC -H7 but my sister in law as a nikon d60 with a 18-135 lens! I really like hers but i want to make sure that i

can buy something less expensive that can do has much as hers!

Can someone help me?

thank you

<p>If you like the D60 and lens your sister in law has, why not consider buying the same setup? That gear is available used (Google KEH), for not a whole lot of money. If you wish to stick with Nikon, they have several new models - D5200, D3200, that would probably work for you, and give better results than the older technology D60. Even a D5100 or D3100 would do the same, and since these are not the newest models, they can probably be had at reasonable prices.</p>

<p>As always, the best thing to do is to go to a store and hold the cameras you're considering buying if possible. It comes down to price and ergonomics these days; you can't really go wrong with any modern camera.</p>

<p>Good luck with your search!</p>

<p>"Are you unhappy with the results your H7 gives?"<br /> <br />"Don't buy another camera."</p>

<p>Why do a lot of you always do this, that is recommend they keep shooting with their old camera. If she wants a new camera, point her in the right direction. Her Sony is a Point and Shoot and she wants to step up. What's wrong with that? She's not as good of a photographer or as knowledgeable as you so she should just make do with what she has? How arrogant.</p>

Hi, it's just i do not find that its as user friendly as my sister's in law and when i take pictures they seem always blurry! I really have..the

only setting that i dont have problem on my camera is SCN! When I take pictures at night there is always some weird color lines! also, i

wanted to buy another lens but the only one that would fit my camera was a zeiss and its really expensive and at that price i was telling

myself that i could get a new camera! But at thia point i really dont know what i should buy( nikon, canon or what other brand there is )

My sistee in law is even willing to sell me her d60 so she could buy herself the new one! But i was telleing myself , why i should buy it if

she wants to sell it and buy another one! Its juste really confusing because i dont really know about them!

<p>I agree with Alan. I apologize for the smart answers a couple of folks gave you.</p>

<p>We don't know your budget but we do know you like the D60 so we will assume you like its feel in your hands and its features.</p>

<p>Technology has raced by the D60 so what you will chose now be really exciting for you and a much better camera. Here are some choices that seem to make sense based upon your liking her camera and wanting to keep down costs. I'll stay with Nikon because you like hers.</p>

<p>1. Adorama has a refurbished Nikon D3100 with an 18-55 VR lens for $349.00. This comes with a warranty. It has a 14.1 megapixel sensor and is a great starter Digital SLR which is what your sister's D60 is though hers has a much smaller and less sophisticated sensor. Yours will have a larger sensor, a better viewing screen on the back and the added bonus of shooting HD movies! You can add longer lenses if you want. A 55-200 with Vibration Reduction (VR) would add $159.00 to your order which would put you at about $500.00 for a really nice setup. VR is very nice as it allows you to handhold in lower light. (Your H7 has a less sophisticated version of it actually.)</p>

<p>2. You can step up to the refurbished D5100 for about $120.00 more. That gets you a much better and larger sensor. (16.2 MP). Better in low light and better dynamic range. (Don't worry about that now just think about how it shoots better in low light and the pictures look better in high contrast scenes.) It shoots faster (4 frames per second versus 3 Frames per second which is a bit better for sports shooting. It has the flip out screen which you might like if you take shots over your head or really close up and is great for video. (You won't want this one once you consider the one below but I put it in to give you an idea of how prices are.</p>

<p>3. If you want the latest technology and my personal recommendation for you, consider the refurbished D3200. This is a remarkable camera. It is a 24 megapixel camera with a state of the art sensor. It has better low light performance, much better resolution, and stereo sound on high definition video. With the 18-55 VR lens it is the same price as the D5100.<br /> 4. So if your budget can stand it there is the refurbished D5200 at $679.00 with the lens. It is very much like the D3200 but with two important features if they matter to you. It has the flip out screen if you are into the idea of video and full time servo autofocus in video. It also has a faster frame rate for sports at 5 Frames per second and more autofocus points. For now just think of it as a camera you can really grow into. It does tons of stuff well and I know professionals who love it and use it all of the time.<br /> A note about refurbished. I have had several of them. They have all looked like new. If you join Adorama's VIP club for $7.95 they will come with a one year and three month warranty. And they are significantly cheaper than new.</p>

<p>So there is a simple look at the range of entry level Nikon cameras. I did not consider used because that is a bit of a minefield should you get one that doesn't work right. All of these cameras come with a warranty. The basic lens I chose will outshine the one your sister has because they have the vibration reduction and are very sharp. With your camera's bigger sensors you can crop and get the same resolution (or even much better) than her D60. All of the options are in the affordable range.</p>

<p>The main thing to do with your new camera is to get off to the right start. Read the Nikon manual carefully as it will help you with your technique as well as helping you use the features of your camera. Take lots of pictures. If you see one you like that someone else has taken get your camera and try it. Then when you download your pictures look carefully at each frame. Ask yourself why you like it or don't like it and how you could have made it better.</p>

<p>I know you are going to like having a new camera and you can't go wrong with any of them above. Let us know what you decide and if you don't understand something in the ads just ask us. With a few exceptions that you have already experienced (and I hope ignored) we are all happy to help you get started on the right track and I know that in the not to distant future you will be helping others on this site. Good luck.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>A new camera makes sense only if there is certainty that the old one has limitations which prevent the photographer from doing work that satisfies her. I asked Amanda a question in order to get her to think about whether she needs a new camera. It is clear from my words that perhaps she has not used her old one as it should be used. To describe this as "arrogant" or a "smart answer" is to miss the point completely. My thinking is proved correct by "the only setting that i dont have problem on my camera is SCN".</p>

<p>Amanda, if you must have a DSLR, please be aware that there is no significant difference between models from various makers at the same price point. They are competitors so they must be as good as one another.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Amanda, if you must have a DSLR, please be aware that there is no significant difference between models from various makers at the same price point. They are competitors so they must be as good as one another</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Actually this is neither correct about competition as there are significant differences not only between competitors but also between models in one brand's lineup. </p>

<p>Amanda had already shown that she was ready for a DSLR when she tried her sister's camera and achieved better results. The DSLR user experience is very different from the experience of using even a relatively sophisticated point and shoot like DSC. </p>

<p>Part of doing work that "satisfies" is enjoying using your camera as well as the results. She wants a camera she enjoys using more and has experienced the difference. It is time for her to move on in my opinion. And most importantly, hers.</p>

What is the difference beetween DLSR and cyber shot? Has you can see when i bought my H7 i didn't know nothing

about camera's and i think that the seller only tried to sell me something expensive and thats the reason i am askig

questions here...not to make the same mistake again! How much do you think i could sell my H7?

thank you

<p>[[What is the difference beetween DLSR and cyber shot?]]</p>

<p>Amanda,<br>

A "cybershot" is the Sony brand name of their point and shoot camera line. Fundamentally, there's nothing unique about a cybershot camera compared to similar models in terms of image capture. There may be a few features that are different but overall, they operate the same way. Your H7 is a point-and-shoot that just happens to have a long zoom lens. </p>

<p>A DSLR is a different type of camera. Whereas a point-and-shoot has a lens fixed to the camera body, a DSLR is a more modular approach to photography. It allows the owner to change the lenses and peripherals (flash or external lights) based on the persons needs and/or goals. In addition, the main way of viewing the scene is through an optical viewfinder and not on the LCD screen. (However, most models offer some sort of "Live View" on the LCD, but shooting images only using live view is something that may not be the best choice, depending on the camera you end up choosing). Sony offers cameras (know as Alpha) that are essentially DSLR's but with an electronic viewfinder and an LCD. However, the cameras have the same modular approach to photography and can, for the time being, be assumed to be the same. </p>

<p>A DSLR also contains a sensor that is much larger (in terms of surface area) than a point and shoot. This is different than the total number of pixels, but (generally speaking) a larger sensor will give you better overall image quality. "Image quality," however, is difficult to nail down as a lot depends on the technology behind the sensor and, to be honest, the photographer behind the camera. :) But for the same generation of sensors, if you compare a point and shoot with a DSLR, the DSLR will give you better overall images. </p>

<p>You can use a DSLR just like a point and shoot. It has full auto modes. You could buy one and never use anything other than the lens it came with. However, the real power behind (and one of the reasons for buying ) a DSLR is that it provides for the photographer a tremendous amount of control over creating the photographs. The DSLR camera is a toolbox, and the tools you place into the toolbox will both drive your image creation and (hopefully) compel you to explore photography more fully. </p>

<p>[[Right now i have a sony DSC -H7 but my sister in law as a nikon d60 with a 18-135 lens! I really like hers but i want to make sure that i can buy something less expensive that can do has much as hers!]]</p>

<p>Nikon, Canon, Sony, Pentax all offer entry-level cameras that will meet and exceed your expectations, for less than what the D60 cost new in 2008. The best course of action, if you decide that you really want a DSLR, is to try various models at a store that is willing to temporarily remove their anti-theft security locks (so you can get a feel for what it is like to hold the camera). A camera that is not comfortable to hold is a camera you're less likely to use and thus would be a waste of money. Make sure you stick to your budget. If you have $500 to spend, don't let them talk you into spending $900. The entry-level models are capable of producing fine images. </p>

<p>[[How much do you think i could sell my H7?]]</p>

<p>You can always check ebay for recently completed listings, but a point-and-shoot camera from 2007 is really not going to fetch much at all. You'd be better off giving it to a young family member or friend. </p>

Thanks a lot for your help. what i will do is go to the store and try a couple of ones but will not leave with one that same

day! I will then come back here on the forum and give you all the infornation that was given to me and maybe you will be

able to help me to take my final choice!

thank you again

<p>Hi,<br>

right now there's a deal at future shop for the Nikon D3200. Here's what included. Do you think this is a good deal?<br>

<a href="http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/id4/B0001758.aspx?icmp=homepage_20130531_s2_Nikon_Camera-June7_en">http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/id4/B0001758.aspx?icmp=homepage_20130531_s2_Nikon_Camera-June7_en</a></p>

<p>thankyou</p>

<p>Looks like a pretty good deal, Amanda. It includes two lenses and an accessory kit that contains a bag, spare battery, filter and a few other items.</p>

<p>If you decide to buy, Futureshop might try to sell you an extended warranty package or other add-ons to pad their profits, but the only other accessory you might really need are memory cards of a capacity you expect to be adequate. <br>

[<a href="http://www.futureshop.ca/Search/SearchResults.aspx?path=ca77b9b4beca91fe414314b86bb581f8en20&q=SDHC%2520card&sp=FS_en-CA_Site-WideSP&Category=EntireSite&pcname=MCCPCatalog&AllowSecure=True">Link</a>]</p>

<p>Oh, one thing to consider, Amanda. </p>

<p>That D3200 kit will be a substantial upgrade from your Sony and will take considerably more computer resources to edit pictures and videos. In other words you might find yourself looking for a new computer as well; something to think about. :-) </p>

<p>Hi Michael,</p>

<p>what do you mean by more computer resources to edit? My computer is not that really old (approx. 3 years old) and is often updated. I wasn't really editing picture with sony. Only putting them on a stick and after printed at a store. Is there a software that i am not aware that i could have and do some editing?</p>

<p>thank you</p>

<p>Talking about buying a new computer is putting the cart far before the horse. I think this is a needless worry. Buy the camera, learn how to use it. Read, take classes (online or locally) and most of all practice, practice, practice.</p>

<p>Amanda, the D3200 is 24 megapixels, and most users will perform some level of processing from basic contrast/color tweaks to very involved multi-layer manipulations. Every level of increment in processing will demand greater computer resources in memory needs, CPU speed, demand on the video card, especially when the camera is capable of high definition video recording and you wanted to edit that too. </p>

<p>I suggest reading the indepth review of the camera in the link below and look at some of the sample photos and videos:<br>

<a href="http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-d3200">http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-d3200</a></p>

<p>As for photo editing software, it'll all depend on your requirement but if you want something comprehensive that doesn't cost a lot, I can recommend Paintshop Pro and others might have alternate recommendations that are equally suitable:<br>

<a href="http://www.corel.com/corel/product/index.jsp?pid=prod4900067&cid=catalog20038&segid=8100002&storeKey=us&languageCode=en">http://www.corel.com/corel/product/index.jsp?pid=prod4900067&cid=catalog20038&segid=8100002&storeKey=us&languageCode=en</a></p>

<p>If you find yourself interested in making videos, Sony Vegas is a very good package that's also affordable but you can always postpone that decision:<br>

<a href="http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/moviestudiopp">http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/moviestudiopp</a></p>

<p>I mentioned the computer issue because it's often not considered and new buyers of modern cameras will often find themselves spending more money on computer upgrades just to accommodate the camera purchase. In your case, though, a 3 year old machine should be fine unless it's a very basic entry level machine. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>there's some online classes? Do you have a link?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Amanda, a nice place to get started with learning photography, online, is right here on this site: http://www.photo.net/learn/making-photographs/ . Just some added opinion, snce you seem to really want to invest some time in getting better at this..... Personally, I think it's best to take the learning really one step at a time... so, while I agree with Michael that at some point, software is a good step to add, it's not where I'd start.<br>

First, I'd get acquainted with the camera. Get fluent with its controls; shoot a lot, an awful lot of photos (during which, you will learn a lot about what makes appealing photos, and what not!). Next learn about photography and get yourself out of the "Scene" modes into the modes where you and only you decide what the camera does (learning about exposure, mostly). Become a technically proficient photographer. And after that.... a lifetime worth of learning more, but I did not get there yet ;-)<br>

Trying to learn all at the same time is often frustrating and resulting in knowing bits and pieces of a lot, but nothing really well.</p>

<p>And, while learning, this forum usually is quite helpful too, should you encounter problems with your new toy... Good luck with the new camera, the D3200 is a very nice choice that should keep you entertained and happy for quite some time :-)</p>

I wouldn't worry too much about computers at this stage, Amanda. If you have a desktop that is only 3 years old, you should be more than fine. If it's a laptop, it could be a different story. But if I was you, I'd initially concentrate on jpg straight out of the camera, like your Cybershot did. I've got an old 5D and I can get great jpgs straight out of the camera for printing at 6x4 or 5x7inch for a general personal album. Anything larger than that, or for something more than a personal album that gets stuffed on the shelves, I'll use Raw. (I actually capture raw + jpg for that exact flexibility). So I'm figuring if I can get acceptable jpgs out of camera with my old 5D, you should be able to get acceptable jpgs out of a much more advanced camera with presumably more in camera jpg controls (there's not many on the 5D). Once you get the hang of the camera and its capabilities, then you can consider moving into post-processing your images and using a Raw workflow to produce much higher quality images.