Turned away at an event for having a "professional" camera

revolver

<p>We went on vacation to the Denver Colorado area this week and one of our stops was a place called Red Rocks. its an Amphitheater in the foot hills of the Rocky mountains. after walking halfway into the place I was stopped for having a "professional" camera with a detachable lens. I explained that I was far from a professional and that it was for personal use but no go. <br /><br />The thing that annoyed me most were all the bridge camera's with super zoom lenses that were much better than my K100D that were allowed in.....</p>

<p>nothing I guess. just seeing what other peoples experiences are with this situation. I missed out on taking pictures in a unique place while on vacation just because I choose to use a particular style camera. what is the difference with the DSLR and a Superzoom<br /><br />??</p>

<p>I have the same model camera and I do believe it gets me in more trouble with shooting in public than when I used a Fuji F10 P&S about the size of deck of cards I returned to Walmart for a refund and got the K100D online.</p>

<p>Using it to shoot a local museum exhibiting our towns German heritage for the first time brought out the curator who immediately told me I didn't own those images I just spent about 4 hours capturing (due to reshoots not using a flash-SR came in handy) which the curator told me she appreciated. But she still added I had to get permission to publish them through any and all media formats and outlets including web uploads. She said they have 3 lawyers that will back her and the museum up and go after me If I don't comply.</p>

<p>I asked why she didn't tell this to the three other tourists with P&S's using flash and she said that she saw my work Googling my name she acquired when I signed my name to become a museum volunteer to scan their old photos. But I countered with the fact that she let a New York Travel/Tourism blogger use her P&S and she didn't get the third degree after which the curator replied that woman was promoting the museum. Needless to say I haven't abided by her demands for permission and have uploaded some here at PN AND needless to say (but I'm gonna' say it anyway because it bares repeating) I'm not a volunteer at that museum.</p>

<p>Jeez! What an ordeal over something so trivial. I'm going back to drawing my pictures.</p>

<p>Oh, and to add. There were no rules or signs posted about using a DSLR or photographing all together.</p>

<p>Exactly Tim and not to forget that everyone with an iPhone has an 8mp camera and they upload them directly to social media.<br /><br />I was thinking of getting a k-5 or K-30 but am looking hard at the Pentax X-5, the Lumix FZ200 or one of the big Nikon Cool pix cameras just to avoid this crap</p>

<p>Peter,<br /><br /> I forgot to include.......I went to this venue for a Movie. basically I would have taken my pictures then put my camera away. I am aware of this rule for MSG in NY where I generally got for concerts and what not. this place is at 6,700 feet with a 1/4 mile walk up some steps...the sight and the checkers should have been at the bottom.<br /><br />there was no indication on my ticket that this particular camera wasnt allowed</p>

<p>Last week at Bruce Springsteen's concert: professional cameras not allowed. No definition what a professional camera is. I saw some people with a superzoom, but many smartphones. If you add all data from the smartphones together it must be enough to make a professional video of the gig (who writes software for this?). Todays rulings about bringing cameras are rather silly. But nonetheless someone will stop you when you carry a camera with a detachable lens.</p>

<p>If vendors wish to play those games, just play them back. I always have a rucksack with me on holiday and the dSLR lives in that (in one of those cheap Chinese foam liner things). If the rule is that 'phone cameras are OK, I just use the 'phone. and leave the dSLR in the bag.</p>

<p>As Bruce says "Their house, their rules."</p>

I think the answer is to get a pink and aqua KX or KR. Who could be convinced you could get 'professional' photos

with that combo?

Wow they even googled you, huh? I think provided it isn't a public forum it's their rules. I've read about similar

stories at national parks where just SLR photographers have had to pay a pretty penny to photograph the same

things every else is with their point and shoots.

<p>Bring a film camera. Even with detachable lens it can't be considered professional, can it? :)</p>

<p>Honestly though, it's not about "house rules" it's about a personal power trip for the people hired to do it. All anyone needs is to be told he/she has authority and it goes straight to their head. Mall cops. Front desk receptionists. Ticket collectors at the movies. They are all empowered and gosh darnit you won't go past them if they see a problem with you, your camera, or the way you walk. :)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Honestly though, it's not about "house rules" it's about a personal power trip for the people hired to do it. All anyone needs is to be told he/she has authority and it goes straight to their head. Mall cops. Front desk receptionists. Ticket collectors at the movies. They are all empowered and gosh darnit you won't go past them if they see a problem"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>We have discussed people like this here many times but, to be fair, not all of them are on a power trip. Rather, they are concerned about being disciplined or fired for not doing their job and preventing certain things from going on and are given little guidance or broad instructions to follow. What camp the person in the original post is in is a bit uncertain. Maybe both.</p>

<p>Private venue: they can make up any rules they like as their prerogative. That's one of the great things about this country (USA).<br>

RR: a quick search found a list of rules for shows; nothing obvious for visiting and walking around the venue not during a show. From the OP, it sounds like this wasn't for a show, in which case they should/could have had a bit of flexibility. Ah, well.<br>

Museum: It doesn't matter whether there are signs posted saying "no photography allowed." Private venue, they get to make up the rules. You never know what to expect: I've been to the Chihuly Glass Museum in Seattle and they practically encourage you to take photographs. I had a great time with my D5100 and f/2.8 lens (but non tripod). On the other hand, I would never presume to capture images of anything not publicly accessible without permission.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>What would be the best "amateur looking" camera to buy that would give "professional" results?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>What makes it professional is low light/low noise capability AND large sensor like say APS-C, so...</p>

<p>...how about mirrorless?</p>

<p>They come with decent detachable zoom lenses I believe and as long as you don't detach it in front of the dolts who'ld be the wiser?...I mean REALLY! Certainly from what I and Patrick S. (+1 BTW...oh...what the heck +1,000,000) related here about these people's behavior and mental state wisdom is not part of their MO.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Wow they even googled you, huh?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Just wish they equated "professional" with income because I haven't made nary a dime since I got into digital imaging technology back in '98 with or without online gallery. All this is just a hobby that gets me up in the morning.</p>

<p>I wonder if we could get congress to add to the civil rights discrimination laws to include "Can not discriminate on the basis of professional looking and detachable lenses". ;)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Museum: It doesn't matter whether there are signs posted saying "no photography allowed."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I asked the receptionist on two consecutive days if they allowed taking photographs and she said they did which is the reason I mentioned tourists with P&S and the New York Travel/Tourism blog lady in my initial post. </p>

<p>It's just they didn't include the sign that says..."We own your photos and you need to get permission to publish them anywhere and in all media outlets and formats".</p>

<p>That's the sign I'm talking about that was missing in the museum and wasn't mentioned by the receptionist.</p>

<p>John H, when I did view the rules they stated that it was not their rules but the motion picture industry's rules....<br /><br />Gary, I agree but.....my printed tickets which I checked said nothing. I was from out of town maybe my hosts could have mentioned something about it if they knew<br /><br />whatever........</p>

<p>Tim,<br /><br />I use one lens...a 18-250 MM lens. from 40 feet away the "security person/bag checker" saw me taking a picture and yelled SIR! you cant bring a pro camera in here. I said I was not professional......she said its a detachable lens. my wife was like how the hell did she know that from that far away..<br /><br />lol</p>

<p>Next time, Christopher, when you turn the barrel to zoom in or out make a mechanical whirring sound similar to the one's on P&S's. Curse at it while you pretend it jams and say..."Stupid point & shoot! Why can't you just work?!"</p>

<p>Or try just denying it's a detachable. Just don't let them take the camera from your hands to prove otherwise.</p>

<p>Be a rebel! Come on! Live dangerously!</p>