Turned away at an event for having a "professional" camera

revolver

<p><br />The rules have been like this for decades. There was a time when using any camera that took 35mm film (a pro-film size) was banned. They looked the other way when you were using a disc or other very small camera like the pocket 110 cameras of the time. That is why I go myself a Pentax 110 SLR. I still have it and it yields more than acceptable results. Not like my my K5 but very nice to my eye. But then again I know what to expect from it and use it on shots that I know will work well with it.</p>

<p>I stopped even street shooting because of people challenging me about shooting buildings of all things and I was on the sidewalk; And this was years ago. Since I do it as a hobby why even bother. I'm not going to suffer if I don't get the shot. <br>

Many P&S give great pictures or go rouge and get a film folding camera.</p>

<p>The irony is that many of today's professional photographers -- folks who sell their photos in order to make money -- are using iPhones. Silly rules prohibiting cameras with detachable lenses are not going to stop a pro from coming in with his or her iPhone, capturing some nice shots, and selling them.</p>

<p>If you want to use a camera with a reasonably large sensor and interchangeable lenses, with minimal chance of the "detachable lens police" noticing you, perhaps your best bet would be a Micro Four Thirds or Sony NEX camera with one of the collapsible kit lenses. When those lenses are in their collapsed position, they're not much longer than a pancake lens.</p>

<p>Examples:</p>

<p>Panasonic 14-42: http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-14-42mm-F3-5-5-6-G-Series-Digital/dp/B005J5TZVG</p>

<p>Sony 16-50: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SELP1650-16-50mm-Power-Zoom/dp/B0096W1PG6</p>

<p>Granted, these zooms don't have much reach... but they'll get you a bit farther than the non-zoom lens on an iPhone... and you can always attach a longer zoom to the camera when you're in a venue with reasonable/non-silly photo regulations.</p>

<p>Ultimately, it is about owning the rights to images of that venue and therefore the revenue from the photos. Apparently the assumption is that a non-"professional camera" does not take good enough photos for the photographer to be compensated. The criterion used however is reminiscent of TSA logic. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>so, I have reviewed 3 suitable camera's for these types of situations. What are your opinions on these three.<br /><br />and R.T I was looking at those camera's last year but they are "interchangeable" lenses so I want to avoid them.<br /><br />Pentax X-5<br /><br />Lumix FZ200 ( I like the features of this one best)<br /><br />Nikon P520 or the L820 but the P seems like a better camera<br /><br />what are your opinions?<br /><br /><br /></p>

<p>The X-5 looks just like a K5 from a few feet away and will get you into the same trouble. You really need something that looks not that different then a iphone if you want to be left alone. Something like the Olympus TG-820 with the silver finish might work. Or a weird color combination on a Pentax Q7 series camera. If it's pink and blue it can't be a pro camera can it?</p>

<p>I agree with Brian Quinn, it's the shape of the camera and the shape/length of the lens that is going to get you into trouble, rather than whether or not the camera actually uses interchangeable lenses. The folks who are enforcing these silly rules are most likely being told to look for cameras "with big lenses"; I doubt they're actually approaching each person and examining the camera carefully, or asking each person to demonstrate whether or not the lens is removable.</p>

<p>From a few feet away, especially to an untrained eye, there would be no difference between a point-and-shoot and one of these with collapsible kit zoom attached: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/828170-REG/Panasonic_DMC_GX1KBODY_DMC_GX1_Digital_Camera_Body.html</p>

<p>Here's another route you could try, and this one "keeps it in the family" so to speak: the Ricoh GXR system. With one of the zoom modules attached, it looks (and acts) like any other non-interchangeable-lens camera.</p>

<p>GXR with 28-300 module: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/760786-REG/Ricoh_170553_Lens_P10_28_300mm_F3_5_5_6.html</p>

<p>GXR with 24-72 module: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/760788-REG/Ricoh_170543_S10_24_72mm_F2_5_4_4VC_Camera.html</p>

<p>When you're not being harassed by the lens police, you can attach the M-Mount module and shoot Leica lenses using the same wonderful 12mp APS-C sensor found in the Pentax K-x, K-r, Nikon D90/D300, etc. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/816332-REG/Ricoh_170613_GXR_Mount_A12_For.html</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I'll tell ya, I am usually the "F*** the man" type but if you ever walked up stairs at almost 7000 feet its kind of difficult when you are gasping for air...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Last time I went down to almost 7000' stairs didn't seem that bad! ;)</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>The irony is that many of today's professional photographers -- folks who sell their photos in order to make money -- are using iPhones. Silly rules prohibiting cameras with detachable lenses are not going to stop a pro from coming in with his or her iPhone, capturing some nice shots, and selling them.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I'm sure a pro photographer with one of these big boys attached...</p>

<p>http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20077581-1/little-iphone-big-lenses/</p>

<p>...will probably be laughed at first before being told...</p>

<p>"No detachable lens cameras. Please...Call your mother on your iPhone why don't ya'. I'm sure she'll get a good laugh, too."</p>

<p>Unless they make you turn out your jacket pockets just stuff a DLSR body (or Micro 4/3) with body cap in one pocket and compact lens of your choice in the other. At least if they want to make you leave they'll have to climb the same steps you did and you might get a few shots before you have to stop. Keep a "dummy" or damaged media card to give security if they insist on confiscating your card.<br>

The Olympus EP1/2 even with kit zoom attached don't look very professional. Who knows, that camera or something similar might not be a problem.<br>

Seriously, if it's private it is their rules. It's getting to where you have to be creative to find ways around them if you want pictures. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>where the hell do you live Matt...Mount Ararat!!<br /><br />lol</p>

</blockquote>

<p>We do have some apartments in town called the Mt. Ararat Apartments! :)<br>

I'm in Gunnison, Co which is officially at 7703 Ft but town is the low point around here so it goes up from there. </p>

<blockquote>

<p><br />Gary, I agree but.....my printed tickets which I checked said nothing. I was from out of town maybe my hosts could have mentioned something about it if they knew</p>

</blockquote>

<p>"I believe that this ticket legally serves as a contract. Could you please show me where, by purchasing this ticket, I agreed to terms and conditions that prohibit the use of whatever you deem a 'professional' camera?" As politely as possible. Then I'd ask for a refund if they refused to cooperate.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>John H, when I did view the rules they stated that it was not their rules but the motion picture industry's rules....<br /></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Huh?</p>

<p>What really makes no sense here is that they hold an annual photography contest, one of which is active right now. Couldn't find anything about how/when one is supposed to take pictures for that contest...</p>

<p>Very odd. Yeah, a small, perhaps mirrorless camera would be the way to go, I guess. Especially since we can't invoke the death penalty for stupidity.</p>

<p>Gary,<br /><br />not sure if I mentioned the Photography contest in this thread ( to lazy to go back and look) but thats one of the things I said when I got there too...wtf.<br /><br />as for the ticket, there was some crap on it about me allowing my image to be used if it was taken which was one of the things that also pissed me off...but I guess these are their rules and yes, they laid some of it off on the Motion picture industry and the music industry.<br /><br />I also found out that when there are no events going on you are free to roam around and take pictures..<br /><br />whatever....next time I'll be prepared.</p>

<p>I kinda feel jealous of you all because this has never happened to me - usually when anyone sees the word "Pentax" on my camera I can feel them looking down their nose at me. That is one reason I avoid camera clubs - I have been ridiculed in the past for shooting Pentax as opposed to Nikon or Canon. I would like to think that if someone like Art Wolfe, Galen Rowell, Jack Dykinga (sp?) or Dewitt Jones picked up my K5 with the 16-50mm DA* lens they could get just as good a picture as with their own Nikons or Canons - granted, there may be some difference between the three, but I don't think most people could tell the difference between photographs taken under the exact same circumstances. My point: It is not the camera that makes the pro, but how the pro uses the camera.</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>A lot of places consider and SLR professional. They also have lens length limits. This is why I like compact lenses like pancakes or my Vogtlander 90mm. Nice and compact but can bring home shots while sneaking by security.</p>

<p>For everything else, my aging Samsung TL500/EX1 usually gets the job done. </p>

• 1 month later...
<p>interesting. I spent a month in Rajasthan 3 years ago and was harassed at a number of 'State Archaeological sites' not for my cameras, (5d & '56 Crown Graphic) but for the tripod!. No signs anywhere to note this (except the Taj) but when i set up several times i was run at by men with sticks, yelling 'No tripod, No tripod'. One needed to be circumspect.</p>