Calling on Minolta historians.

<p>Today, I'm sure, I've seen the holy grail, at least in photographic terms. Last week, one of the customers I deliver to asked me if I was interested in old cameras. He must have heard something around the neighbourhood. I said, "old like this?" (I had my Yashica A in my mailbag) He told me that his father-in-law had passed away and that he and the missus were going to gather his belongings. <br /> Today, I stopped by to ask about what he had. My hair is <strong><em>still</em></strong> standing.<br /> The first camera that he pulled out was made by Minolta. It was in an eveready leather case that was virtually unblemished. I opened it up and looked at it. It was a Minolta but there was no model number of any sort. Furthermore, it was a rangefinder with three interchangeable lenses:<br /> F2/50 Chiyodo Rokkor<br /> F3.5/35 Chiyodo Rokkor<br /> 85mm Chiyodo Rokkor (I think it was f2.8).<br /> <br />Everything was in virtually untouched condition. My guess is that Minolta put together an outfit to challenge the Kodak Retina. There was also a Series VI polished metal lens hood and filter holder. I don't know how the lenses disconnect. There was also a shoe mounted Minolta light meter that I tried to slip out but it seems connected somehow. <br /> Now I know a rare bird when I see one and this could very well rate up there with one of Rick Drawbridge's droolfests. Most of my cameras look like they've been used in combat. This looks like it was used once out of the box, and then put back in a velvet safe. I might luck out and get this. I'd never ever consider reselling it. This might just be the find of a lifetime.<br /> Oh yeah, another camera that was pulled out of the magic box was a Rolleicord with 3.5/75 Xenars. Another exquisite example with all the accessories to boot (matching Rolleinars, aluminum dual lens cap, different filters, flash gun with bulbs, etc... also in pristine condition). I was almost in tears. As I stumbled through the rest of my delivery route, I couldn't get my mind off of this motherlode. The kind gentleman also said that he'd be glad to hold on to the 'Cord until I could get some dough together. This is a true gentleman. Wow.</p>

<p>The camera sounds like a Minolta-35 (a Leica III series clone, with LTM lenses) but I think that should have "Minolta-35" on the top plate. The company used to be caller Chiyoda Kogaku which is where all that Chiyodo and Chiyoko stuff comes from. This sounds like mid-50's stuff. It's not exactly common, but if you have one that doesn't have the model stamped on it... I don't even know what that would mean. Early production?</p>

<p>I'm drooling... Sounds most like a Super A, to me, introduced 1957 and a very nice camera indeed. The lenses you mention correspond with those available for this model. There was a further choice of two other 50mm lenses, a 100mmm and a 135mm, quite a full range. Apparently the lenses were marked 'Chiyoko' prior to 1958, and 'Chiyoda Kogaku' thereafter. Grab it, for goodness sake! Nice pic, here.</p>

<p><a href=" Minolta Super A w. Lightmeter and Booster

<p>Thanks guys for all the quick feedback. Gordon, it is indeed a Super A. At this point I wouldn't worry about getting the rest of the lenses. I just want to know how to slip the meter off. It is stopping me from unloading the film that is still in it. I'm going to try to get it. If I succeed, pictures will indeed follow.</p>

<p>Rob,</p>

<p>Great find. Mike Butkus has a manual for the Minolta Super A that you can download.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.butkus.org/chinon/minolta/minolta_super_a/minolta_super_a.htm">http://www.butkus.org/chinon/minolta/minolta_super_a/minolta_super_a.htm</a></p>

<p>It mentions the meter but I didn't see instructions on how to remove it.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Ok. It's a done deal. I did not rip them off, nor did I get skinned. It was fair.<br /> I got both cameras and the associated accessories for $250. I told them I'd need a bit of time to gather up the extra scratch, but they'll hold the cameras for me.<br /> The results will be posted when I get going with them. I don't know which one has me more excited, the Super A or the Rolleicord. It's still sinking in. Thanks John. Again, thanks everybody. </p>

<p>To uncouple the meter, both the camera body shutter speed and meter speed indicator must be set at 'B'. Make sure the meter bottom toothed gear is fully coupled into the body shutter speed dial toothed gear (to the rear of the shutterspeed dial) . Turn the meter's front white knob until its top window reads 'B'. Hopefully the the body's shutter speed dial reads 'B'. If it does the meter pulls off by sliding back out of the shoe. If the speeds don't match, you've got a jam. To recouple the meter, both body and meter have to be set at 'B'.</p>

<p>The lenses come off by setting the lens' distance scale to infinity, then push in the big button next to the lens and hold it in while turning the 'on' and 'off' ring until it stops when 'off' is at the top. When remounting, make sure the lens is set at infinity, then just do the above in reverse order. Make sure the ring turns all the way so that 'on' is at top.<br>

<br />Congratulations on a great set (I've had a couple, not so complete). All that's missing is the faster 50mm f1.8 and the tele 135mmf4.5 lenses, and then the round clip-on amplifier for the meter. </p>