2x5d II or 1x5d III for Weddings/ Events ?

nathaniel_geller

<p>I have a big dilemma - 2x5d II or 1x5d III For Weddings/ Events?</p>

<p>My current gear is 5d II, 16-35L II, 85L II and 70-200L IS 2.8 II. I'm thinking also for 24L II instead of 16-35L II, I found I shoot a lot 24mm (with 2x5d IIs , 24L II+ 85L II combo) <br />I love to shoot with natural light at receptions and often it's a little darker to shoot at f 2.8 with 5d2.</p>

<p>I shoot them almost always with another shooter who has 5dII, 35L, 85 1.8, 100 2.8 macro (he rents 7d just for back up). He gave the freedom of choice entirely to me.</p>

<p>What you suggest me to get 2x5d II or 1x5d III ? Or sth else? I know it's a personal preference and it's interesting to me what choice would you made in that case. Thank you very much! :)</p>

<p>You are absolutely right for the back body, we get Canon 7D just for back up :)<br /> I like 5dII very much, but AF speed isn't very reliable with 85L II - at dark receptions.<br /> Also I'll be able to use 16-35II and 70-200 IS 2.8 II (without flash) due to higher ISO capability of 5d3 in more cases.</p>

<p>I also use to shoot with 85LII in Aperture priority mode (w/o flash) and AUTO ISO. 5dII automatically selects shutter speed mostly 1/80 of a second. With 5dIII <em>I can set Manually shutter speed</em> of 1/125 to be sure that the shots are sharp.<br /> Sometimes small plus for me is the silent shutter mode in order to take candid shots.</p>

<p>I stated some relevant pluses for me on 5d III to make the discussion broader.<br /> The first two opinions were for 2x5dII and I wrote my comments to get opinions from the another point of view.<br /> It's actually big dilemma for me. Because on the other hand I'll be able to use two 2 excellent L lenses combo. Also now 5dII is a steal.<br />Thank you, Jurgen, for the reasonable psychological insight :)</p>

<p>There's an accounting phrase, "Don't buy the same thing twice". You're sure the Mark III is pretty much what you need and yes you're hesitant because you can use 2 lenses at the same time easily with another II.</p>

<p>Here's where that phrase comes in above... get the Mark III. That phrase means if you get another Mark II what's going to happen is you'll convince yourself that the Mark III is what you needed in this scenario and that... you'll regret buying the Mark II you can't function anymore the Mark III is really what you needed and then buy the III as well. Now you've just wasted money as you "bought the same thing twice" when you'd been better off and saved yourself money getting the Mark III right from the start.</p>

<p>Get the Mark III, and trust me if you don't you'll be spending money later to get it so do it right from the start :) It's a great camera.</p>

<p>Thank you, Matt! Usually if we don't get the better camera (lens etc.) our ego gradually convince us to get it. <br /> I'm trying to take the most rational/practical decision.<br /> I like very much <a href="http://www.joebuissink.com/main.php#!/portfolio/portfolio/wedding-images/1">Joe Buissink's work</a>, he recommends to using identical 2 bodies in order to think less and to capture the "moments between moments". <br /> Also I'm a little bit tempted to shoot with 5dII and 24L II + 85 L II combo for weddings.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>we get Canon 7D just for back up :)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>If Security & System Redundancy are a criterion, then the Lens Cache you have presently and / or selling the 16 to 35 and REPLACING that with a 24 and ONLY having a 24 (or 16 to 35), 85 and 70 to 200 is - although unlikely, if the wide lens goes down, you are likely stuffed.<br>

This flaw in the System’s Redundancy is exacerbated by <strong><em>assuming</em></strong> the 7D is a Backup Camera, suitable for that Lens Cache. If the Wide Lens goes down AND the Main Camera (5DMk?) goes down: you re likely well and truly stuffed.</p>

<p>To answer your original question – choosing ONLY between TWO 5DMkII OR ONE 5DMkIII - I would choose TWO 5DMkII, because of output for $ spent and I would change my Available Light technique to accommodate that: a 24 and an 85 on two 5DMkII’s would be a very nice Available Light Combination and (as it seems you have some advanced techniques under your belt) you should be able to work around your passion of using Auto ISO and manage the Shutter Speed in some other manner – personally I would select the ISO to the upper required (expected) limit and ride the Av selection (in Av Mode) – or just use M Mode. </p>

<p>However, I still note the limitation the System Redundancy with a 24 (or 16 to 35) and then a big leap to 70mm – if the Wide Lens fails - you are most likely cactus.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>Wait a min, didn't you say you already have a 5D2? in which case you would be <em>purchasing</em> <strong>1</strong> 5D2 or <strong>1 </strong>5D3. Assuming you have the budget for a 5D3, I would highly recommend buying <strong>1</strong> 5D2 so that with your remaining available funds, you can purchase <em>much needed</em> other equipment (as WW alludes).</p>

<p>Also... Your problem w/ the 85/1.2 won't (necessarily) go away, even with a 5D3. Since it focuses WO, the DOF is extremely narrow, with active subject movement, it is very easy for the subject to <em>move</em> outside of the zone of focus while the lens is focusing, making it difficult for (with a moving subject) the camera to achieve focus confirmation. I would suggest that you find a technique to make it work, rather then relying on a new body's AF system to (attempt to) make up the difference. </p>

<p>Thank you for the shared responses! Yes, currently I have 1x5dII.<br /> <br /> For security case if something happens with 5d2 and 16-35 II (or 24LII) at the same time, we would use my colleague 5D2 +35L combo.</p>

<p>Yes, Marcus, keeping 1x5dII + 1x5dIII is ideal, but soon I won't have the funds to afford it. In my country used 5dII is less than 1/2 of the price of new 5d3. Last time, on Black Friday, I saw 5d3 best deal on ebay - bigvalue inc shop (99,1 positive rating) for <a href="http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360512357497">2499$.</a></p>

<p>That choice 2x5d2 or 1x5d3 is not final. Later, when I have the funds, I can replace 1 of the 2x5d2 with 1x5d3. Or if I sell my current 5d2 for 5d3, later to get again another 5d2. <strong>In both cases the final is 1 x 5dII and 1 x 5dIII.</strong> My big dilemma is <strong>with which choice to Start first - 2x5d2 or 1x5d3?</strong></p>

<p>For the price of 6D in my country, I prefer to keep my current 5dII and buy another used 5dII, which is a steal.<br /> I much more prefer 5DIII over 6D because of the AF system and 85L II. I was fine with 5dII AF until I got 85L II.<br /><strong><em>So, 6D is not a choice for me.</em> </strong>But thank you for the suggestion! Feel free to offer what you would choose it may help me a lot :)</p>

<p>From what the camera sales people tell me, the autofocus on the 6D is supposed to be as good as the 7D. The noise reduction is supposed to be near that of the 1D X. I cannot confirm these claims, but we will know soon. So, the 5D II may be a "steal". But, how long will you keep it for and how much can you sell it before you change cameras again?</p>

<p>I found the new Lens rentals <a href="http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/11/a-quick-6d-af-test">AF test for 6D</a> "The bottom line is the 6D AF is about identical to what we saw with the 5D II as far as center point accuracy. It may be worlds better in low light, or Servo mode, or with peripheral sensors. I can’t comment on that. And actually I didn’t find the 5DII center point AF bad at all..." So it is really interesting how good are the peripheral sensors on 6D.<br>

I also like very much central AF point of 5d II. But I can't focus and recompose when I use 85LII (if there is enough light for f 2.8 and narrower apertures I shoot with my 70-200 2.8 IS II).<br /><br />For me is valuable to read different points of view, so you may not try to make suggestions from my point of view. So , please, write according to your preferences and personal choices :)<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /></p>