Small good digital cameras for travel?

<p>Hello Everyone,<br>

I am doing a bit of research about small, portable good quality digital cameras in preparation for buying a birthday present for a family member who is going on a 5 week trip this summer to japan and korea. He would like a small, good quality digital camera to take with him, but doesent want to bring a big DSLR or similar camera with interchangable lenses. As they will be doing alot of walking around he told me he wants a camera which he can ideally put in his pocket or in a pouch attatched to his belt for example.<br>

Its also important that the camera gives sharp images with natural looking colours and also that the camera has quite a good zoom.<br>

Does anyone have any specific camera models to recommend that they have used and are happy with?<br>

when I go on "leightwheight" travels i bring my small Nikon coolpixs1000pj which i can put in my pocket and which gives overall good images, with the capability to project these as well with its inbuilt projector and to make films as well. However, i find that the white balancing is not always accurate and neither is the focusing in macro mode...so you often have to twek around a bit before finding the ideal setting...<br>

I have heard recently that there are many very good new models which have just come out..not only in Nikon, but in canon and olympus as well...<br>

Pontus Wallstén</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>"..5 week trip this summer to japan and korea."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>We have a saying in the UK about "taking coals to Newcastle", which means taking something to a place where they already have an abundance of the stuff. Most people would want to shop for a camera in Japan or Korea, rather than take one there. But since it's a birthday present.....</p>

<p>Best I can recommend is that you look at the <a href="http://www.dpreview.com/products/cameras">DPreview</a> site or the excellent image comparator on the <a href="http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM">Imaging Resource</a> site. Camera choice is an extremely personal thing, and to some people it's more about the look, feel, ergonomics and maybe coolness factor rather than the picture quality or features. I'd suggest setting a price limit and letting the Birthday Boy choose for his self - perhaps with just a bit of guidance.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>"Most people would want to shop for a camera in Japan or Korea, rather than take one there. "</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Things to consider: Some cameras are only available in certain parts of the world. Prices may not necessarily be cheaper in the country of origin and warranty may not be honored in the West. </p>

<p>What's your budget? Some of the mid-priced and upper priced compact digital cameras have much brighter LCDs, which makes daylight shooting without an optical viewfinder much easier. The upcoming Sony RX100 has that type of brighter, higher resolution LCD screen - and is fairly pricey. The RX100 will soon dominate that price class due to the larger sensor (and higher megapickle count than the Nikon 1 series with essentially the same sensor). It'll be coming out in July and your relative might be able to buy one while in Japan.</p>

<p>At the mid-price tier the Canon S100 and Olympus XZ-1 are both appealing to me. Olympus seems to impose a bit more JPEG compression than I'd like, but they also offer flexible "art" modes which can be very appealing for folks who prefer in-camera JPEGs over post processing on the computer. Personally I want good in-camera JPEGs and like some art/creative filters and in-camera processing, so that's a priority for me. If I wanted only the best possible image and preferred to do all my own post processing, I'd probably go for the S100.</p>

<p>Fiji x100 if he can live with just a 35mm equiv lens otherwise a Panasonic LX5 with a 24-90. Very small, very good color quality, full manual overide and very good image quality (not as good as the x100 but very good. I have both and woldn't give up either. The LX5 takes a supplememtal EVF which is ok in a pinch. The lx5 goes in almost any pocket but the x100 is jacket pocket only.</p>

I think you are all thinking like photographers. The Canon Elph series is THE right choice for this person. I regularly give

them as gifts to family and can say categorically that they are loved by the people they were designed for - people who

want a camera (now a video capable one) with no fuss and almost no weight or volume. The last one I gave was a 300

HS. Now they offer the 320, which has wifi built in. Seriously, the 300, 310 or 320 are amazing products for tourists.

Check them out.

And so I'm clear I own and use Nikon exclusively, but Canon owns this market segment.

<p>thank you everyone for your interesting inputs<br>

my budget is about 300-$400, perhaps a bit more. I have looked around at some comparaison sites to see image quality..etc, and i have seen as alot of you say that the canon seems to be a preferred choice by many, and also the fact that it has a high ASA range so can still take acceptable images in low light conditions, which is good to know. Some of the other suggestions are also very interesting so i am also keeping them in mind as future reference as well..</p>

<p>Previously, when I carried my lightweight/travel kit, it consisted of;</p>

<ul>

<li>D5100</li>

<li>Tamron 17-50</li>

<li>Sigma 50-150</li>

<li>Sigma 10-20</li>

<li>Sigma 30 1.4</li>

<li>SB-400</li>

</ul>

<p>That seems like a lot of gear, but it fits in a Lowepro Flipside 200 - which is fairly small. But sometimes I want to go much lighter. So I found a used Nikon P7000 at a good price. I read all the negative reviews, but took the chance on it anyway. I'm glad I did. IQ is outstanding, and the firmware update eliminated many of the problems addressed in the reviews. But the best part about the camera is that it uses the same cards, batteries, flash, and remote (ML-L3) as my D5100. I can now add the little P&S to my bag without needing room for additional accessories. It greatly expanded the versatility of my travel kit.</p>

<p>Normally, I just put the camera in Program mode and attach the flash for indoor shots. I know if I need something more specialized, I have the full lightweight kit and accompanying lenses nearby. I'm extremely impressed and happy with the little camera. It might be an option for you as well.</p>