Need a reason to stay with my 7D

<p>Hi Guys<br>

I guess I need some feedback from you. I am looking for a smaller, lighter, hi-quality camera to replace my 7D. Now that the new Olympus OM5- is out, it's on the top of my list (still have my old OM-10).<br>

Having a huge range of hi-quality primes and zooms for much lower prices then Canon L's is also a major consideration.<br>

What are your thoughts?<br>

Cheers<br>

Mica</p>

<p>Sometimes I like to give good camera advice, I reserve those occasions for the EOS and especially the Beginner forums. Sometimes I like to rattle people that take themselves too seriously, normally the off topic or casual photo conversations forums, just for the sake of hearing the cage rattle.</p>

<p>I was being completely serious about selling the 7D and not looking back. It is just a camera and it isn't doing for you what you think a different model will. If you want a smaller and lighter system with the option of cheaper primes it seems to me you would be foolish to keep it.</p>

<p>Further, the economics of paying for L series lenses with their large image circles, for exclusive use on crop camera bodies makes no sense at all.</p>

<p>I'd spend some serious time using the OM-5 EVF in a shop before laying down hard cash. I have an E-P3 with pancake and, while it's nice for a point 'n shoot, it's a long ways from the IQ, AF and ergonomics of the 7D. I'm sure the OM-5 one ups it in many ways but I hear the built-in EVF is basically the same quality of the one used on the E-P3. And, compared to the 7D optical VF, it is terrible: smeared images while even moving slowly and an ultra bright and super gritty EVF in lower light. Shadow detail is very blocked up compared to an optical VF. It does look decent in bright light. I tossed the EVF in the drawer and always use the clip-on optical VF with the 17mm pancake.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Sony NEX 7?

Supposed to have a very good EVF.

And it's small and has a good sensor.

But wait! This is the EOS forum. Get a Canon 5D-iii and wait until Canon releases a mirrorless EOS...

(sorry, couldn't resist. but the sony remark was serious)

<p>Last year I bought the Panasonic GH2. After shooting for a while, I sold my T1i and lenses. Couldn't see much difference in IQ and Pan had nicer video. And the size and weight difference was important to me. Yes, the EVF is a different experience. Better to check it out before jumping in.</p>

<p>I still have my 5DII. I can see the IQ improvement when I use it. But now, I'm taken back at how big and heavy it is. So, the m4/3 has become my primary camera, but I'm not yet letting go of FF.</p>

<p>I have the Olympus OM D M5 on order. DPR rates it with the best of the crop sensor cameras. Looks like one shortcoming is continuous focus, following movement. Seem to be a short coming of contrast detection focus in general. So, maybe not the best for sports photography, but suits my needs.</p>

<p>Hi quality primes and zooms much cheaper than the Canon L's:<br>

What about the Canon non-L primes and zooms?<br>

24/2.8 (not the overpriced new model) ; 35/2, 50/1.4, 85/1.8, 100/2, 10-22/EF-S, 28-135 (or maybe 17-85/EF-s).</p>

<p>Take the entire bunch. . .for maybe the price of 1.5 "L" primes.</p>

You asked for reasons so

If you shoot sports you will find the optical viewfinder and AF / handling of the 7D hard to beat

if you shoot portraits the 7D will permit a slightly shallower DOF

My experience with a Panasonic G1 (which I use for FD lenses sometimes) Is that the camera is quite light and handy but

the m4/3 lenses tend to be heavily corrected by the camera. The 20f1.7 is not a bad lens but in my opinion not up with

Canon (or Nikon) primes.

All that said I suggest that you get the Olympus and have fun - you obviously want it. If you are not quite certain keep the

Canon for a few weeks if you can

<p>What about the Fuji X100 or X-Pro 1 wit optical finder, or as mentioned, a Sony NEX7? <br>

One thing that is causing me to sell my Olypmus EP-3 (and the OM-D is no better really), is the poor dynamic range. This is where the to previous mentioned cameras are streets ahead of the smaller sensored Oly. </p>

<p>I am not advocating the Sony NEX series as probably the Olympus products are just as good. Having said that I have owned the Sony NEX 5N since last November. I have the EVF which is quite good and in some ways better than the optical finder on my Canon 5D. I own Canon and three expensive L lenses that I use for sports mainly as I need the lens speed and tracking of Canon which is better than the Sony. The Sony has replaced my Canons in day to day use for well over seventy per cent of my photos. My whole NEX kit with three lenses, a body and an upgrade flash weighs three and a half pounds while my Canon kit is close to twenty. The NEX 5N body weighs about seven ounces. The NEX emount lenses are slower but the image quality is comparable at least up to 19x13 with the 5D when there is good light. I do a lot for the web where the Canon and L lenses are just overkill. It is just more convenient for me to take the small camera so I have been taking considerably more pictures as it is just inconvenient to drag a Canon 5D and a 24-105 into a restaurant or a party. I have been a dedicated Canon user for over twenty three years have owned a lot of bodies and I don't know how many lenses. I will not give up the L lenses and I will upgrade the 5D but the Sony is a permanent and valuable addition to my overall kit. The NEX 7 looks pretty good but the 5N has a touch screen, is slightly better at high ISO but the flash arrangement sucks. The 7D has a 24 MP sensor and the 5N is 16 MP. Both have 1.5 crop sensors. The 5N is quite good up to 3200 ISO and is about equal to my 5D.</p>

<p>I'm with Scott. sell the 7d, grab the camera you want to use (in this case the olympus), get shooting and don't look back. Considering the main concern was not IQ, AF performance, output, durability, FPS, or a host of other aspects that the 7D was built to address, the OP will probably be happy w/ something vastly lighter (and cheaper overall) nuff said.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I am looking for a smaller, lighter, hi-quality camera to replace my 7D. Now that the new Olympus OM5- is out, it's on the top of my list (still have my old OM-10).<br />Having a huge range of hi-quality primes and zooms for much lower prices then Canon L's is also a major consideration.<br>

<br /></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Which high quality primes and zooms? Their "super high grade" lenses run between $1800 and $7000. Even their "high grade lenses" run between $500 (for a 50/2) and $1200. They have a couple of cheap primes, but nothing to get excited about.</p>

<p>The selection of high quality micro 4/3 lenses is small - plus they aren't cheap either!

<p>If you're looking at old OM manual lenses, then you're giving up small and light, you need an adapter, you lose autofocus and (I think) you'll have to meter stopped down.</p>

<p>If you're expecting higher quality, I don't think you'll see it with the smaller 4/3 sensor. Also, there are some excellent low cost Canon primes and zooms. The 85/1.8 for example, or the 70-200/4L.</p>

<p>You will get smaller and lighter with the 4/3 system, though still large enough that you can't stuff the system in your pocket.</p>

<p>So, I'd say go for it if you want to, but be aware of the issues.<br>

<br /></p>

<p>What about getting an entry level rebel? They are pretty small and I bet the phase detect AF is still better than the contrast detect used in OM5. They feel cheap and nasty but in my experience they are quite durable.<br>

While many complain about the ergonomics compared to the xxD and xD series, my view is that the ergonomics is just different and something that can easily be gotten used to. I have used the rebel series and the 5D concurrently and find it pretty easy to switch between the two.</p>

<p>I must say I have to sympathise with the need to go lighter. Canon gear seems to be getting more and more bloated. I think Ken Rockwell called it right when referring to Ls as overweight L pigs. And fancy making an APS-C camera like the 7D that is even heavier than the FF 5D.<br>

I am not sure why Canon can't put sharp glass elements into something the size and speed of the old 28-105 f3.5-4.5 USM. They would sell truckloads.</p>