Photographing in the Rain

<p>I have a Kata rain cover that I seldom use, it's just too inconvenient. What I end up using most often is a freezer bag to cover the camera, and an umbrella to cover the camera and me. I remove the bag at the last moment and make my focus and exposure adjustments and shoot.<br>

I did this through a very rainy trip through the great northwet ;-)<br>

It's much easier if you have an umbrella holder of some kind. I used my jacket pocket and tucked the shaft under my arm. Most convenient ;-(<br>

<Chas></p>

<p>While it rains many days it doesn't rain all day very often :-) <br>

The only time I got up early and made a rain guard for my camera by the time it came to shoot the rain had stopped and didn't affect filming for the rest of the week. <br>

Currently some areas of the country have a drought so something light and simple would be my choice<br>

Hope you enjoy your trip :-)</p>

<p>Larry,<br>

I shoot a lot in the rain an on the decks of fishing boats where the rain is very salty and I just put my camera in a ziplock bag and zip it up. The corner of the bag is cut so the lenshood sticks out, and I just leave the camera pointing down all day until I shoot. I have a filter on the lens that I just wipe off with napkins if I get water on the lens. While it does eventually remove the coating from the filter, it is sacrificial. I have photographed in the pouring rain all day with this without any real problems. I do depend on the autofocus beep to tell me when it is in focus. I can see the composition ok through the bag and just put my focus point where I want it and listen for the beep. It does make it a little slower shooting action on deck, but if you are doing landscape type stuff it should be pretty easy to set everything before taking the shot. Have fun and good luck!<br>

Mark</p>

<p>I've started using a Think Tank Hydrophobia. It's a bit fiddly to get set up, but really is a great tool for the job. Though it's hard to beat a large (golf-sized) umbrella ... since that also gives you shelter while rooting around in your bag, changing lenses, etc.</p>

<p>I know that this idea may not be practical for you, but I recently found (and turned into a Christmas present by my wife) a mint Nikonos V for sale with extra lens and close up devices, the camera and 35mm f2.5 lens being about $200 including a supply of various O rings and their grease. It has been used to date during both snowstorms and rainstorms, and will get used for the occasional underwater photograph. Nice not to have to worry about gear problems in a rainstorm. Funny how the idea has yet to be used in the digital age, possibly as a small APS size mirrorless but interchangeable lens Nikonos type digital camera, as it would be quite useful.</p>

<p>I live in a wet place. I photograph a lot in the rain. Lens hoods are a must use. Another good thing is a shower cap - clear plastic with elastic you get in hotels. Pull it over the top of the camera. Carry several handkerchiefs to wipe rain off with. And if that's all too complicated - a plastic bag and two rubber bands are all you need. Dry kit off every night and dont leave wet gear in a sealed bag as it will get mouldy.</p>

<p>Hi, Larry, I often shoot in the rain, just got back from Ireland where it rained almost constantly. A Kata cover, despite its awkwardness with a tripod, helped keep the camera dry. However, it was great to have the camera protected when I wasn't shooting. In addition, I use a lens hood and filter that can be wiped off. Being aware of the direction of the wind and rain so you don't shoot into it helps protect the lens, too. --Sally</p><div>00a07O-441491584.jpg.0bd2798ef05648afc93a0347ef07e8af.jpg</div>

<p>I used to live in western Washington; sounds a lot like New Zealand. I used a lens hood (and a filter would have been nice) and a large garbage bag that I could pull up just in front of the hood on one end and pull up to the eyepiece on the other end when it came time to take a photo. I liked the large bag because it also helped keep things dry when changing lenses (I always use a tripod). Having someone with an umbrella would be a welcomed and added benefit but would not take the place of a large plastic bag.</p>

<p>Yes Stephen ... when I visited Western Washington for a short time I wondered why I had travelled 12,000 miles instead of staying at home :-) With all this I believe a lot depends on if you are aware of the dangers and take simple precautions such as turning your back to breaking waves, or hiding camera in your open jacket. I did spend a day at a motorcycle hillclimb event in drissle and wore a plastic over 'thing' purchased for but never used when I visited the States and just brought out the camera for the short time it took to take each shot.</p>

<p>Please do a quick check (B+H Photo, or Adorama...) on the Internet. Both Nikon and Canon have small -waterproof - digital cameras that are good for up to 12 feet of water. One small camera taken along would make the plastic-bag-wrap-hunt a non-issue for your trip...</p>

<p>I second Jerry's recommendation. I have a Canon D10 that I keep as a backup to my DSLR. It goes places I would never think of taking my DSLR, including the pool, beach and out in the rain. It does seem to open up a new area of photography when you're not worrying about protecting the camera from water.</p><div>00a0N7-441745584.jpg.4e873c28f3a3afac4e3582b71f46d9ea.jpg</div>

<p>I bought some OpTech brand rain covers recently from Adorama. They are inexpensive, pack easily, and have drawstrings. But I have not had a need to use them yet so I cannot tell you how well or easily they work. Basically, they are shaped clear plastic bags that fit over camera and lens and leaves the filter end of your lens exposed, so putting a clear filter and a hood on the lens is probably a good idea. I imagine B&H and other vendors have them too, but they are easy to find on the adorama site. Adorama sells a couple different sizes and styles, but here is a link to one of them. </p>

<p><a href="http://www.adorama.com/OTRSLF.html">http://www.adorama.com/OTRSLF.html</a></p>

<p>Adrienne, Bon Voyage. We will be in NZ March 5-March 29. Let's compare images after we get back. Travel safely. Larry<br>

Bob, I just ordered 3 packs of the OpTech from B&H. I will also carry plastic bags that I can cut a hole in for the lens. Thanks for the tip. Larry<br>

BeBu, Thanks for your response.<br>

John, I never expected to use my DSLR in watery conditions, but when it rains, and we want images we must risk it. Covering the camera is risk management to me. Cameras are expensive tools. I used a plastic bag and a large lens rag at Iguazu Falls in Argentina where water was blowing all over. All was well in the end. Thanks. Larry</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I don't shoot in rain often and would like to add the following:</p>

<p>- Without someone to hold an umbrella, I clamp it to a lighting stand.</p>

<p>- I shoot from my car, and "mount" a piece of mat board, etc. to stick out of the window as a "roof" over my gear.</p>

<p>Now that we all know how to keep our gears and ourselves dry, it's time for a somewhat off topic but perhaps more interesting question. How do you integrate the rain/moisture as an element of your images?</p>

<p>- Hide it as much as possible.</p>

<p>- Create a diffused look.</p>

<p>- Capture the falling raindrops with fast shutter (flash?).</p>

<p>- Capture the raindrops bouncing off, or laying on a surface.</p>

<p>Etc., etc., etc.</p>

<p>Here are some examples:</p>

<p>http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/09/07/35-brilliant-examples-of-rain-photography/</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I've been living and shooting in the rain in western Washington for decades. I needed something a little tougher than thin plastic as it tears too easily after a few hours of use. For shooting soccer outside for hours I use and highly recommend <a href="http://fotosharp.com/16_rain_cover_w_velcro_opening_.html">this</a> locally made product. The fabric is strong and is waterproof enough meaning that it's OK. The white color is useful. And the design lets you get your hands on the camera controls just fine.<br>

ME</p>

• 2 weeks later...
Larry, my time in NZ is nearing to an end. Fly back on 8 March. Truth to tell, the weather has been pretty bad. Two days of heavy rain in Dunedin, a huge storm in the North Island last night. I hope it will settle down by the time you get here. I guess you are going south. I really loved the scenery there, which I had not seen before. Didn't get a great many good shots I don't think, though. There is just too much there. Hope it all works out for you. From Adrienne in Taranaki, NZ

<p>Hi Adrienne, I was really excited to see your note and appreciate your thinking of Alice and me. We leave for NZ on Monday 3/5. I am sure you got many excellent pics. I am the same way you are, taking a catastrophic view of my pictures because of being so self critical. I wish you good weather and much fun in your remaining NZ days. I look forward to sharing experiences and images with you upon both of our returns. Thanks again. Have wonderful experiences and a safe long flight home. Larry</p>