Personal communication for portrait photography

<p>Hi! I really like to take portraits but the problem is that I am often too shy and really lacking self-confidence when approaching people. Simply asking someone if I can take a picture of her/him makes me sweat. I guess this has to do with the fact that I do not like being photographed at all, and so I tend to assume and fear that people will react the same way.<br>

Question 1. From your experience, what percentage of people do you think like/do not like being photographed? I used to guess it would be like 50/50, but given the number of people showing their pictures on facebook, I begin to doubt on that.<br>

Question 2. Can you recommend any book, essay or video that discusses personal communication skills and strategies for portrait photography? Would you like to comment on that? I am trying to figure out what would be a sensible strategy for approaching people and potentiate her/him willingness to make a photo with you. Key, in my view, is breaking the ice and showing that you want to make a photo together with the person, taking into account and helping her/him to show in an aesthetic way what he/she wants or think it is important to communicate. Despite this presumptuous tone, I am not talking here about anything very elaborate. My skills are too modest for that anyway. I am just talking about making someone feeling comfortable and collaborative in that shot which, despite amateur and informal, could be made a bit less trivial and ordinary.<br>

I guess this must be a very personal thing that in fact extrapolates photography, and I really don't expect to find any magic recipe. Nevertheless, I'd like to hear any personal account that could inspire me and make me think. A couple of quick practical tips wouldn't be bad either. I definitely do not have this natural talent but I hope it would be possible to develop some of these skills. Thanks and happy 2012!</p>

<p>It's funny that you've posted this today, as last night, I have read an article in a German photo magazine about a book on just this topic that has come out on the German market (sorry, no English). I've tried googling and searching Amazon for something similar in English, but it seems that we're talking about a niche on the market. You may want to type some keywords into Google like "comfortable in front of a camera" or "psychology of being photographed" - most of the results are not very much explicited though. The usual things about 'talking to your subject', maintaining contact etc....</p>

<p>Communication workshops exist, but I doubt they explore the issue you're most interested in. I think that if you overcome your own fear a bit, it works more smoothly. Speaking from experience, I can safely tell you that I've spent minutes in front of something really cool until the chance was gone. The next time, I decided to ask. What is the worst that may happen? Someone saying 'no thank you'? More often than not, people will be flattered when you tell them why you want to take their picture. As an example, I've taken a photo of an Italian fruit vendor. He wasn't Brad Pitt or George Clooney, but he wore a brilliant blue shirt in front of his stand, where he sold lemons galore. The blue and the yellow! And that's exactly what I told him. I loved the contrast, and how he looked so fine in that. He was more than happy to pose for me, and I made sure he received the prints (I always do). Ever since I try to conquer the fear of myself asking, my people pictures have become a lot better. In return, I have received invitations from all across Europe, picture postcards and Christmas greetings.</p>

<p>So, now go out and do some talking! And report on your success! :-)</p>

<p>Paulo, just an idea. Go and read Fred's current thread, with the somewhat strange title of: "T<a href="../philosophy-of-photography-forum/00Zomw">he egotistical photographer</a> ?", about the same subject, in the Philosophy forum. That might shake you up !</p>

>>> Simply asking someone if I can take a picture of her/him makes me sweat.

Are you talking about approaching strangers for a portrait? If so, people who do that often call it Street Portraiture. But

the skills needed are not limited to photographing subjects on the street. Approaching people and asking to take a portrait

gets easier with time and practice. You just have to jump in and start doing it. Be honest, have a reason, and ask. The

absolute worst thing that can happen is someone might say no. I think what makes you sweat is the thought of someone

saying No, and then dealing with that awkward moment of rejection afterwards. If that happens, just smile and say "OK,

thanks anyway," and move on.

>>> I guess this has to do with the fact that I do not like being photographed at all, and so I tend to assume and fear that

people will react the same way.

You would think. But in practice, people rarely refuse if you approach them straight-up and tell them what you want to do

and why. Around 1 in 10 to 15 people will say no when I ask. Of those that say no, maybe half the time I can

turn that into a yes.

>>> Question 1. From your experience, what percentage of people do you think like/do not like being photographed?

If you frame the question that way, I suspect most would answer no. BUT... People will go out of their way to help another

person; even a photographer looking to make portraits. Being helpful (when possible) is an innate human quality.

>>> Question 2. Can you recommend any book, essay or video that discusses personal communication skills and

strategies for portrait photography?

There are a lot of books on portraiture. But haven't seen one on "breaking the ice" skills. Again, being honest and straight-

up works wonders. I also carry prints (paper and electronic) that I can show people - that helps.

I started a photo-thread last week related to this on engaging strangers on the street for portaits, it might be worth a look:

http://www.photo.net/street-documentary-photography-forum/00ZnPR

>>> A couple of quick practical tips wouldn't be bad either.

OK, start by asking people who participate in parades and events in large cities. For parades, go back to the staging area

where people are waiting around, adjusting costumes and make-up, and waiting for their turn to participate. You can spend

a few hours there asking people and making portraits. And they are definitely fine on being photographed. In San

Francisco, events like Bay to Breakers, Pride, Carnival, Folsom, Veterans Day, etc are good for that. Other cities no

doubt have similar events with performers who are easy to photograph.

www.citysnaps.net

<p>I don't have allot of experience myself when it comes to asking people if I can take their picture. I get the same sweaty hands, butterfly stomach and tend to stutter allot, but the more I do it, the more I become comfortable with it. There is no magic bullet other than practice, practice, practice.</p>

<p>Usually what I do is start a small conversation and when my subject relaxes, I ask if I can get a picture. This way it seems that I'm capturing a memory, not on some type of mission. From my experience, people who live in high tourist areas are more aproacheable than those that don't. However this is not always the case, some people in low tourist areas are often fascinated that you are even taking pictures of their locale, so are more willing to help. Kids are a pushover and love to clown around infront of the camera no matter where. Kids will give you the most realistic candid photographs. <br>

Most adults like to be photographed when they are at their best. I try to avoid capturing people in compromising situations, because it breeds resentment and suspicion.<br>

When people look their best, or are at their best(doing their job) you can use flattery to get them to partcipate in a photograph. Notice I say participate, because you must get involved also. Ask them something about themselves, their work, or the history of their suroundings, be genuinine, be happy, show interest and try to listen. Tell them they might look impressive infront of this, or that spot. Ask for directions.<br>

Pretend that you are a journalist writing a story about the place you are visiting. People love to talk about themselves and their locale as long as they are not compromising themselves. Don't forget always ask for their name and try to get their email address so that you can mail them the picture for "Free". If you can't get their email address, show them the picture on the playback, I always do this anyway. <br>

As far as equipment, short zoom lenses are my favorites. Not so long that they become intimidating and not so short where you have to get too close and become a nuisance. A <strong>short </strong>relatively fast zoom lens in the range of 24-105mm is perfect for informal portraits. Avoid flash as much as possible, but do use it if you don't have any other choice, no sence missing out on a once in a lifetime shot.<br>

Know your equipment and don't fumble around infront of your subject, you might get at most 2 tries to get the shot. I usually preset the camera to AV aperture priority and take it from there. <br>

You might want to read Bryan Peterson's book "Beyond Portraiture" if you want tips from a real professional. <a href="http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/beyond-portraiture-bryan-peterson/1101870298">http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/beyond-portraiture-bryan-peterson/1101870298</a> </p>

<p>@Monika: Damn it! I really need to learn German! Thank you for your suggestions anyway... when I think about it, I also say to myself that the worst that can happen is that I receive a 'no thank you'. But then when the situation comes I am sort of petrified! And I am not talking about complete strangers here. I am uneasy even with people I know, like colleagues. With family and close friends, it is OK though. But yeah, I must take the leap of faith... and I see it coming... I just hope I won't get a straight 'get outta here your weirdo!' or I fear this will block me forever :-)<br>

@Anders: Interesting thread indeed, but I am not sure it is the same thing. I never had any dream of enlightening the world about something, neither I am even pursuing a great artistic goal. I leave this to the real artists. But I don't really think it is entirely egoistical either. I'd be really interested in making the person involved, happy and gratified to make the photo.<br>

@Chris: I am not sure I fully understand it. But notice it is not about getting the shot before people figure me out. Maybe it's too optimistic, but I'd really like them to figure me out and then be happy to be photographed and willing to collaborate.<br>

@Frank: Ooohhh, don't worry, I'm still too far away from having the courage to approach a complete stranger who's not supposed to be photographed. I'd already be very happy of being able to ask say, a street performer, if he/she could do that part of the number again so I could take a picture.</p>

<p>Paulo, what you describe about yourself is SO MUCH like what I would describe about myself. I am striving to overcome my people-shyness, and I often just jump in, heart in throat. I'm never smooth and casual about it, as much as I try to be. I always try to lead with a smile and some sort of compliment, like "Wow, I just love the colors and how the light falls on your fruit stand. Would you mind if I took a few pictures of you and your fruit stand?"</p>

<p>I recognize in myself exactly what Brad suggested -- that I'm afraid of the awkwardness of being told "no." The best way I can psych myself up for approaching someone is to tell myself that it doesn't matter whether the answer is yes or no. I prepare myself to respond to the "no" exactly as Brad suggested -- something like, "Oh, that's OK. I thought I'd just ask. Thanks, and have a wonderful day!" Usually my answer is "yes," but when it's "no," that's usually how it happens, and we both part with a smile.</p>

<p>That said, I will sometimes (but rarely) get a very negative reaction, especially when I want to photograph interactions between adults and their children. I remember once wanting to photograph what appeared to be a single mom in LA who was teaching her young son to shoot hoops. I thought it was very touching. As I walked towards her with my camera, she shielded her son from me (a rather ordinary, middle-aged woman) and told me she wasn't interested, before I even had a chance to open my mouth. There was a slight look of fear in her eyes. I tried to explain to her that I was only going to ask to take a photo, but that I could see she didn't want to, that that was OK, and that I'd go, sorry to have disturbed them, etc., but she literally didn't let me get out even two words in sequence. So I left, feeling bad that I had apparently given this strange, pitiful, paranoid person (in the middle of a divorce and thinking I was spying on her on behalf of her ex?) yet another reason to distrust the world. I took it very personally and it impacted my photography throughout the rest of the day. I had to put away my camera for a few days and start again in an easier, more willing venue. Taking a break from the snowballing bad karma that ensued that day seemed to work for me, and it got me "back in the groove" again, setting a more positive karma between me and the strangers I approached.</p>

<p>You ask how many people hate to be photographed. I think it has a lot to do with self image. I think young people don't mind being photographed because they usually look good. (I used to be in that category.) I think many early-middle aged women are towers of insecurity about their appearance and usually hate cameras. (I'm in that category now.) As they age further, they get over it. I don't think men have this problem, in general. Parents often/usually don't like their children photographed by strangers, particularly by men.</p>

<p>There are many people who want to be noticed and welcome being photographed. You can tell by how they're dressed (e.g. gay men in San Francisco in flamboyant attire) or by what they're doing (e.g. participating in a protest). These probably represent the majority of Brad's subjects, so the 1:15 ratio he suggests is probably not reflective of the rest of the world. Most of my own photography seeks to portray mainstream society, mostly people not trying to be noticed, and my no:yes ratio would probably be closer to 1:3. If I'm photographing a protest (another frequent subject of mine), almost everyone is willing (indeed, eager) to be photographed. </p>

<p>@Brad: Thank you so much for the advice! The parades thing is a good idea. I'll also check the street photography thread.<br>

@Harry: Thanks also for the tips. I've just checked the online preview of the "Beyond portraiture" book and it looks well worth the reading. I might get a copy. The funny thing is one of the first photos (page 8) really made me think of a snap I took in France (while watching a street parade, BTW :-)) back in 2008 (only much better, of course).</p>

<div>00Zouv-430271584.jpg.15402deeba5ca8d5b0ca766cffd51028.jpg</div>

<p>@Sarah:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>You ask how many people hate to be photographed. I think it has a lot to do with self image. I think young people don't mind being photographed because they usually look good. (I used to be in that category.) I think many early-middle aged women are towers of insecurity about their appearance and usually hate cameras. (I'm in that category now.)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>In my case it is not only a self image thing, I guess, although, unlike you, I've never really looked 'good' :-) It is more about personality, I think. Contrary to my physical attributes, my intellectual qualities are in fact quite OK but I never liked speaking in public, for instance.<br /> <br /> As for your current category, well, I've just checked your personal website and I respectfully beg to differ ;-)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>So I left, feeling bad that I had apparently given this strange, pitiful, paranoid person (in the middle of a divorce and thinking I was spying on her on behalf of her ex?) yet another reason to distrust the world.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Sarah, as an alternate explanation, she may be hiding from a violent ex-husband/boyfriend. She may have assumed you were a photojournalist and she was afraid the picture would show up in the news.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>A lot of great suggestions here. Just one thing I might add that could be interesting. Comfort isn't necessarily always a good thing photographically. Working with your own and a subject's discomfort can get you a great portrait and a very genuine portrait. Consider making use of discomfort rather than fighting with yourself to get over it. It will definitely NOT work in all situations and it's NOT the ONLY advice I'd give, but it's worth considering in some situations. </p>
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

<blockquote>

<p>Pretend that you are a journalist writing a story about the place you are visiting. </p>

</blockquote>

<p>I recommend never lying about what you are doing unless you are being physically threatened.</p>

<p>Two comments I will add to the positive responses above:<br>

<br /><br>

1) Look for people who are used to being out in public. People who work in cafes will rarely turn you down unless they are busy, for example.<br>

<br /><br>

2) Look for people who obviously take pride in their appearance - interesting clothing or hair styles, unusual body modifications. I've never been turned down by someone when I asked to photograph them because I liked their tattoos or piercings.<br>

<br /><br>

Have fun.</p>