Defining a Film Purist...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>At the moment I have a battle going on. It is 400 feet of ORWO N74+ I will fight it until I get the results I know it is worthy of and I will use every tool and developer I can to get it right... Then when someone ask or looks up how to develop it in other than D96 at a set shutter speed I can say... I am still not a purist. :)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Any reference to "the other ones" is taken very badly</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It wasn't enough to bash "<em>the largest part of digital users" </em>falsely accusing with the claim "<em>they slam film no matter wha</em>t." Now the false accusation is portrayed as merely any ole' reference of others. Bashing (falsely again) further against those bashed by portraying THEM as unreasonable.</p>

<p>A bashing purist.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>You al should be ashamed of yourself for not advancing the Alchemy.. :) There is no Church to hold you down you can turn a stone to gold.. you though decided to pick a fight that is not even a fight... Shoot and develop what you want. Produce it anyway you want to.. and never ever forget 1/2 tones... :)</p>

<p> I feel sometime as the crazy guy I am the only voice of reason... Lord if you folks ever let me down I doubt I could live in the world of depression you have... :)</p>

<p>Nothing but techno drivel with people attempting to justify their choice of working media - as if that really matters. None of what has been written has anything to do with taking interesting photographs - it never does. Processes are only a means to an end - not the end in itself. Quit making process the holy grail of photography - process is only the means to an end - do you people understand that? </p>

<blockquote>

<p>I bet Ansel Adams would laugh at Steve for that... It's all a process, a process he would compare to...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Claiming to know what goes on in the mind of "everyone" wasn't enough. Now its knowing what dead people would think too. Ansel Adams actually laughing at people for thinking results matter.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>"I bet Ansel Adams would laugh at Steve for that remark. His whole idea of photography was a visual and a darkroom process."</p>

<p>Steve before he died he also made the statement that the electronic image would be the future. (crudely paraphrased) Many film shooters scan and at that point a symphony can begin as well.</p>

<p>Well after trying digital for 5 years after using film for 25 years and finally giving up, to me it just plain looks wrong, so these days I only use tri-x, only print in a wet darkroom and could not be happier, just love the craft process of film.<br>

Don't know if that makes me a film purist, to me that probably means someone who makes their own plates and all that malarky.<br>

I personally am thrilled by digital coming along, I now have a Rolleiflex 6006 outfit and a Sinar p, neither of which I could afford before all the pros rushed off to digital land. Also bought two top class 4x5 enlargers for less than $80 each, Wonderful.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Processes are only a means to an end - not the end in itself. Quit making process the holy grail of photography - process is only the means to an end..."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That's debatable as well. Don't underestimate the value of process for its own sake.</p>

<p>Most of my home baking from scratch could easily be replaced with ready-baked foods or very simple mixes and produce goodies that are just as delicious as my own. Some packages for baking muffins, cornbread, pancakes and waffles cost only a dollar or two and may require nothing more than water to prepare - and they taste as good as anything I bake from scratch. I use 'em when I'm in a hurry.</p>

<p>I spend time - probably too much time - baking from scratch because I enjoy the process. It's relaxing, and takes my mind of my aching (back/neck/knees/etc.). Only occasionally does it produce something unique that's not easily duplicated from ready mixes, or the corner store's bakery. My family, friends and neighbors always seem to enjoy what I bake way out of proportion to how good it actually tastes. And if they're just being polite and humoring me, that's okay too. I suspect most of my photography elicits similarly polite "Humor him, you know how temperamental those <em>artistes</em> are" responses.</p>

<p>Same with film and the darkroom. I enjoy the process for its own sake. The enjoyment of process is unassailable... other than by accountants and efficiency experts who would have us justify anything and everything that doesn't produce on the correct side of the ledger. When we underrate process we force ourselves to defend the indefensible. That's why these debates invariably fail to be resolved.</p>

<p>I for one didn't really enjoy the 'wet' darkroom. I managed to reach the heights of mediocrity in b/w printing (no false modesty). Color? Fuhgeddaboutit! ("Roll roll roll the print, gently in the tube/ Verily verily verily verily, I am such a boob.") I do, however, second the comment above--I love my film CAMERAS! I wish there was a digital module for my F100 and F4e. Film cameras also give me the opportunity to use my older lenses on "full frame"; i.e., the angle of view at which they were intended to be used.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Processes are only a means to an end - not the end in itself. Quit making process the holy grail of photography - process is only the means to an end..."</p>

</blockquote>

<p> You know I can achieve satisfactory photos with any camera. Since it's a hobby I think the process of the photo is the fun part.. The camera, film or sensor, the trip, finding the shot and then a nice print at the end of it all. </p>

<p>I would not know if I am a film purist. I shoot 99% film. I only have 1 digital P&S the old and lowly Nikon Coolpix 5000. I have may be 20 or so 35mm SLR. I intend to continue using film until I can't any more. I think I would still be alive the day (and I am in the late 50's) I can't use film any more so I don't know what is a dying breed. Nothing against digital, just that I want the use film and my many film cameras until I can't anymore. </p>

<p>Purist? As in someone who intentionally limits himself? Yuck. Who'd want to do that?<br>

I love film, and I love digital, but I use them in different situations. Many times, I shoot both in one shoot. <br>

For me, a purist is a snob who's gotten stuck in a rut, and damns others for not doing as they do. I can respect someone who wants to master just one medium, but for me a purist is someone who thinks they are actually better than others because he is "pure" to some ridiculous standard that he made up for himself.</p>

<p> I would have no problem only shooting 1 format. Most of my life I only owned 1 camera at a time. My wife bought me the D200 when they were the new thing and now I have two camera's. However I only need 1 camera actually. When 1 of these cameras break I will just shoot the other one whatever that may be. I think the F100 will outlast the D200 but you never know. All I need to do is take some nice photos of the family, vacations and some scenic shots to hang on the walls. Anyway even if I only had one camera I would not be a purist. I would just be an average guy with 1 camera. </p>

<p> I think Confucius had a Rolex back in the day. He was a man ahead of his times. However on another thought I never get the same reading with 2 lightmeters. It just gets confusing so I make a point of only using the one in my camera. </p>