what's the secret to being one of the top 2% of successful photographers?

<p>Is it true that people come in and out of the profession every six months? What are the secrets to being at the top with the successful bunch? Is it helpful to have a degree in business? What kind of personality, natural talents, personal attributes are essential to enjoy or be satisfied in this work? many opinions are encouraged!</p>

<p>I don't think it's any secret. Yes, people come in and out of most professions constantly, and I'd venture in photography even more often, because it seems a glamorous pursuit on the surface, but demands hard effort for success. I'd say business acumen (though not necessarily a degree) is almost more important than photographic expertise, but the best of the best have both. It also demands physical energy and drive. I'd say most highly successful photographers are type "A"s. When they're not shooting they're pushing their work or aggressively working their marketing efforts. </p>

<p>Yes definite business acumen and basic business knowledge. Problem with business degree is they teach you something that is false: a business degree = know it all.<br>

There many talented photographers starving.<br>

I have an MBA before Apple introduced "Mac" computers. That knowledge is useful but it is not the only reason to be successful.</p>

<p>I think it helps to "be in the right place at the right time" a couple of times by accident, but more importantly: learn from those experiences, leverage the results from them, and start to arrange to "be in the right place..." intentionally.<br>

It helps to be very driven and focused (ideally you're concentrating on a segment that you really are passionate about). That will help you get over the (possibly quite lengthy) hump of building your craft and reputation before you start getting lots of business.<br>

Also, deliver on <strong>all </strong>your commitments (and get a reputation for that).</p>

<p>The successful 2% are very very good and they know it, and let everyone know it, and the people who hire them know it too.</p>

<p>The unsuccessful 98% are not quite as good as the 2%, but dont know it, and neither do the majority of the people who hire them; but the people who hire the 2% know the difference which is why the 2% will always get hired.</p>

<p>Easy! :-)</p>

Marketing appears to be the one constant.

Some person with perceived credibility who "sells" the value of the work, that it is worth buying. Most often it does not

appear to be the artist or photographer him or herself. An agent, expert, gallery owner, curator of some sort.

I don't think that you per se need business accumen. Mark Hogancamp the Marwencol photographer is brain damaged from an assault and he appears to be successful. He has one of the agents I speak of.

<p>Two tourists stop a man carrying a saxophone case on a New York street and say "excuse me, can you tell us how to get to Carnegie Hall?" <br>

"Sure," says the musician. "Practice man: practice, practice, practice."<br>

Works for photography, painting, acting... anything you want to do bad enough.</p>

<p>Laura,<br>

I met a man at a photography seminar who was turning a million dollars a year in portrait sales a year in a very small town before he retired. Here is what he told me--sell large sizes using projection sales. He said that he had many photographer friends who were not the greatest photographers--yet they were quite successful financially. I think he was saying that the business side of things is much more important. I think people hire you mainly if they like you. I believe you should always push yourself to improve your skills, but convey likeability in your marketing and your consultations with clients. Show them your best work on canvas, metal, etc. Under-promise and over-deliver. Using these methods, my average sales have increased drastically. <br>

Don't be afraid to try new things or make mistakes. You are asking the exact right question, Laura. I believe you will be one of the successful ones. One last thing--give yourself plenty of time. My business advisor told me to plan on five years before really turning a profit. Build it slowly--don't go into unecessary debt. Wait until you have a following before you incur major expenses. I wish you the best of luck and much success.</p>

<p>First Ability. You must have talent.<br>

Then Attitude. You MUST believe in your talent and believe you are worth it.<br>

Then a little Luck! With a little luck, people will notice your talent.<br>

The business education will HELP keep expenses for book keepers down in the beginning and keep the accountants / lawyers / advisers from taking all your money later on.</p>

<p>There aren't any secrets.</p>

<p>What does the average person know about photography?</p>

<p>You do need technical skills coupled with a creative mind.</p>

<p>However, you really need excellent sales & marketing skills.</p>

<p>I know photographers who make award winning prints but struggle with making money.</p>

<p>Dean Collins once said, "beauty is in the eye of the checkbook holder."</p>

<p>It's true.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>In addition to what's already been said, I've noticed that a number of successful magazine shooters have been well connected. In other words there is a "who you know" component to photography success. This cronyism keeps a lot of great shooters out of the upper tier of business success. It's not fair, nor right but it happens. So, some degree of sucking up is required to do business with certain very competative segments of photography. It's like joining a club where outsiders are not welcome.</p>

<p>Study people like this<br>

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Annabel+Williams&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=haU&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvnso&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=HEyiTvehCMWx8gOG_MD6BQ&ved=0CGIQsAQ&biw=1440&bih=797<br>

closely. Most photographers regard Annabel Wlliams as having around average technical skills, but she is the most effective marketer in social photography I have ever seen, a fact which is reflected strongly in her (very fat) bank balance!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Study people like this<br /><a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Annabel+Williams&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=haU&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvnso&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=HEyiTvehCMWx8gOG_MD6BQ&ved=0CGIQsAQ&biw=1440&bih=797" target="_blank">(link)</a><br />closely. Most photographers regard Annabel Wlliams as having around average technical skills, but she is the most effective marketer in social photography I have ever seen, a fact which is reflected strongly in her (very fat) bank balance!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It is not in my plans to get pro any soon anyway, but if what it takes to be a successful in this profession is to have a text written about yourself in your own website, in third person, comparing yourself to Madonna, then I guess hell will freeze well before I have my first client. However, I'm not judging. It's only a matter of personal taste and style.<br /><br /></p>

<p><em>It is not in my plans to get pro any soon anyway, but if what it takes to be a successful in this profession is to have a text written about yourself in your own website, in third person, comparing yourself to Madonna, then I guess hell will freeze well before I have my first client. However, I'm not judging. It's only a matter of personal taste and style.</em><br>

The point is not what AW writes about herself (except as an example of her boundless self-confidence and capacity for self-promotion) but the enormous amounts of money she has made through her own photography and by running workshops and selling "how to" videos. Try arguing with that!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Try arguing with that!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Sorry if I did not express myself well. I won't argue. As I said, I am not judging. These are not illegal nor immoral means to achieve an end. If it works for someone, then great! I just think I would not be capable. Let me say it again, I have no opinion about this photographer. I don't know her work and even if I did, who am I to judge?<br />Personally, I think there is no magic rule to be successful any profession. However, if you study the biography of people that have suceeded in their careers, you will find that hard work, honesty, perseverance and pinch of fortune are common denominators. If you have these and you are competent at what you do, then you are likely to achieve some success. Is this enough to be among the top 2%? Maybe not. At this level, I think there are even less golden paths, though I would think that it would at least take some talent in addition. I just don't think the very best need to spend their time praising their own virtues. They just concentrate their energy and skills on doing the best they can and let others eventually talk about them.<br /> Aim at excellence in your craft and success will follow. This is my naive and romanticized view of things. That said, I am just an average Joe, so you might want to hear from someone else.<br /> Cheers!</p>

<p>If anyone actually knew the answer to your question then there would be no 2% as we would all be at the top of the tree !</p>

<p>Skill is only a little to do with it, there are some fairly mediocre photographers who are "famous" or rich.<br>

It has more to do with being in the right place at the right time, your contacts and your skills at marketing.</p>

<p>When you find the secret then let us all know.</p>

<p> </p>

<p><em>I just don't think the very best need to spend their time praising their own virtues.</em><br>

Paulo, I agree with much of what you say, and I also agree that it would be nice if the above quote were true. From long observation of the photographic scene, however, both as an amateur and a pro, I would say the one vital quality for success, aside from a certain basic level of technical competence, which you can achieve these days by leaving your camera on auto, is an infinite capacity for self-belief and self-promotion, coupled with a limitless ability to praise your own work as unconventional and groundbreaking - in fact, chutzpah to the nth degree!</p>

<p>What one must do to be successful depends on one's definition of success. Perhaps Annabel Williams is content to define her success in mere monetary gain. Others have other standards: "Whenever I can feel a Bach fugue in my work I know I have arrived” (Edward Weston). I had never heard of Annabel Williams before today, but Bach and Edward Weston are immortal.</p>

<p>I am a little unclear on the concept of asking people here what it takes to be in the top 2% of successful photographers, with all due respect to the excellent photographers here.</p>

<p>I personally am full of advice on how to be an "unsuccessful" photographer, depending on how that is defined.</p>

<p>But I don't think that was what you were asking.</p>

<p>Seriously, I think it's more important to express yourself as fully as you can--then you will be successful on a personal level.</p>