Triple threat - RF, SLR, DSLR

<p>The other day, read a post discussing interchangeable lenses / bodies / accessories between a rangefinder, single lens reflex film camera and digital SLR camera. Got me thinking about the ultimate 'triple threat'; perhaps as a great travel set. What would be your choices? For example, my entry may be made up of my existing equipment would include: Canonet QL17 GIII RF with step up ring from 48mm to 49mm to utilize the hood and filters of my Takumar 28mm, 50mm and 135 lenses of the Spotmatic F which would then share its lenses with my Canon XTi DSLR sporting a focus confirmation adapter. Is there an equivalent in Olympus and Nikon perhaps? What are your thoughts?</p>

<p>I would leave the DSLR at home and make it an all-film trip with medium format, 35mm SLR, and a pocket rangefinder for quick snaps. This is what I did on my trip to Yosemite earlier this year: Mamiya TLR, Nikon SLR, Olympus XA. At this point I might substitute for the Mamiya the Hasselblad I picked up a couple of months ago.</p>

<p>Sorry, before we get too far afield, the interesting part of the original discussion I read was about <strong>interchangeability </strong>of components among the three types of camera bodies. The suggestions made previously are all great; they just don't share anything in common. Looking for contributions centering on interchangeability of bodies/lenses etc.</p>

<p>I could take my Leica M4 (RF) with a 90/2.8 Elmarit, unscrew its lens head )it is made to do this), put it on a focusing mount and adapter to use on my Nikon f4 (SLR) and then switch it to my Nikon D300 (DSLR). Same exercise for my Tele-Elmar 135/4 and my Telyt 400/6.3....but on the last one I would need to use a Visoflex attachment on the M4, basically quickly converting it to a SLR. Covering all 3 categories of cameras mentioned, but sadly only at the long end.</p>

<p>I traveled last summer around the San Juan Islands with my Nikon D700, F100, and FE2, and interchanged lenses among them. Also had my Nikon P7000 with me for video and quick snaps when I didn't want to break out the "real" cameras...</p>

<p>Walt,<br>

I have three Bessa screw mount lenses and some Takumars. Im looking at (drooling on!) the NEX3 as well as the Oly PenF's. Is the loss of functionality with adapting these manual lenses worth the bother? I tried them on a Pentax KX DSLR and found them practically useless.</p>

<p>If I had the disposable income (just retired, trying to pay off house) I'd purchase a E-pl1 with a VF-2 m4:3 and adapters for my Leica M, Olympus OM, and Olympus Pen F lenses. While not a mirror/prism reflex it does feature TTL viewing at the eyepiece with a VF-2.<br /> So, there you go. My ancient OM-1 SLR, Leica M4-2 RF, Oly Pen F half frame SLR, and micro 4:3 body. And the digital will mount all the film camera lenses, from a 20mm f3.5 Pen lens to a 200mm f5 Zuiko OM mount lens, and all the Leica M mount lenses.(21mm and 35mm CV lenses and an a LTM 90mm f4 Elmar.)<br /> Almost forgot, all my OM mt. lenses will also work on my Pen F.<br /> I've also adapted the lens head from the Elmar to work on a Pen F bellows. Will focus from infinity down to 1:1 ratio.</p>

<p>How's that for interchangeability between cameras.</p>

<p>Before you guys start up on me about 'crop factor' I'll just let you know I'm very aware of the change in angle of view when mounting the same lenses on various format bodies. After all, I've been mixing 35mm full frame and half frame use for 35 years.</p>

I don't understand the threat aspect. Who do you want to threaten? People? Statues?

With respect to a travel cam, any dSLR and a zoom should work. Or a point-n-shoot. Or camera phone. One camera should

be enough. Unless maybe if I were going to shoot in Jalalabad or something...

www.citysnaps.net