Great film cameras you never got around to owning...

<p>Mr. Gerald...</p>

<p>I spent the late 1940s and all the 1950s using a low end Argus AF bought at Ships Stores, USNA in about 1938. During those years I looked lustfully at the Retinas with the 6 element F:2 lens. I finally got one to use the last of my Kodachrome with in '09 and '10.</p>

<p>A. T. Burke</p>

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<blockquote>

<p>I don't think we will be making a list in ten years called "great digital cameras I wish I had owned".</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Not only is the move to digital very recent, as pointed out; but I can personally testify that you can buy most old film cameras for a song these days. I've been trilling along to the point of embarrassment as a result.</p>

<p>However, my efforts to acquire early model digital EOS cameras have come up against the hard reality that almost all of them on the market are selling for much higher prices than film cameras (2X and up), even ones of the same vintage.</p>

<p>Gee, I wish I had a Canon DCS 3 or an EOS D30 (not = a 30D) or even a 10D. Somebody is buying them still, however.</p>

<p>Nikon S3, SP, F2, F4, F5, F6, Nikonos RS.<br>

Leica M4, M7, R7.<br>

Contax RTS III.<br>

Late model 6x6 Hasselblads.<br>

Canon F1n, T90.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Gee, I wish I had a Canon DCS 3 or an EOS D30 (not = a 30D) or even a 10D</p>

</blockquote>

<p>From what I've seen, the 10D is actually not that great. I'll have to look up that web page if I can find it.</p>

<p>Deardorff 8x10, Linhof Master Technika. Both still expensive items so unless one falls in my lap I doubt I'll get them.</p>

<p>I've long since acquired all the other film cameras I've always lusted for including a Canon 7 rangefinder outfit, a sweet Contax G1 system that I scored before the prices took off and a complete Mamyia Super 23 6x9 kit. I am still using them along with my Canon T90 and Nikon F3 stuff.<br>

Sanford, if you've never owned a Canon T90 you should pick one up. One of the best SLR's ever, with great lenses.</p>

<p>today I received interseting e-mail<br>

i wanna share this project lol<br>

--------------------------------------------------<br>

massege from camera killers</p>

<p>1. we barried 1,200 compact camera and 1,800 slide film , underground seoul, south korea<br /><br />2. send us money, we will send you map<br /><br />3. kookmin bank, 041-302-04-153417 , Dong-Hwan, KAM<br>

we also accept paypal</p>

<p>4. leave a message at <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.dollpanda.com/" target="_blank">www.dollpanda.com</a><br /><br />5. till last day of July 2011, if we dont collect 10,000,000 \ , all camera will be die.<br /><br /><br /><a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.dollgas.com/" target="_blank">www.dollgas.com</a><br /><a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.dollpanda.com/" target="_blank">www.dollpanda.com</a><br>

<br /><br /></p>

<blockquote>

<p>From what I've seen, the 10D is actually not that great.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Regardless of the "greatness" the going prices on eBay are higher than a Canon EOS 3 or EOS 1 film camera, which was my response to the "no one will ever want an old digital camera" screed.</p>

<p>Nostalgia or not, someone is finding a use for these old 3.3 MP and such cameras -- I can't believe that <em>all</em> of them are being converted to IR cameras by removal of the hot mirror.</p>

<p>The Canon 10D was the metal bodied higher priced model over the 300D. Each is 6.3 megapixels but date back to the 2003-2005 period. They were a good product for the time but advances in computer technology have not made them a poor item. the 300D was rated overall as being a snapshot camera at the time. Yet it can take excellent images.</p>

<p>I have both as the 300D was the first camera I bought. However I quickly closeted the 18-55 lens for a 24-70 F2.8L. When I bought a 10D converted the IR, that lens came into play on it too. The 10D is quiet and fast. The 300D is noisy in comparison.</p>

<p>Collectability of older digital cameras will come down to three areas. 1. Does it still work correctly, 2. Can you find memory for them, and 3. can you get batteries for them. Items 2 and 3 will prove critical as manufacture of some these items are phased out--just like happens with films. Servicing them may prove a problem for both parts and people to work on them. Another issue for usability will come down to software compatibility between the camera and the future computers that process images.</p>

<p>For me it is not the model of camera that got away or that I could not afford it. It is about the machine having a use to fill a need. </p>

<p>Since I started with a digital camera I have added some interesting TLR models to go with my father's Rolleiflex K4B. Such as a Bolsey C22, Agfa Flexilette, and an Agfa Optima Reflex. The last two are out for servicing so I can start shooting with them.</p>

<p>In ten years you may see people saying I wish I could have had a Pentax 645D. I would like one with Infrared capture.</p>

<p>CHEERS...Mathew</p>

<p>I have about 150 35mm cameras including most of the great ones, and I am fully sympathetic to owning a camera simply because it is a magnificently engineered and contructed device, but in terms of taking photos, doesn't a Nikon F100, with a range of lenses covering 24mm to 300mm cover nearly every need? One of my favorite combos for a one camera one lens outfit is a Nikon N80 with a 24-120mm zoom lens.</p>

<p>Hmm, so these are the problems with old digital cameras?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>1. Does it still work correctly,<br /> 2. Can you find memory for them, and<br /> 3. can you get batteries for them.<br /> Items 2 and 3 will prove critical as manufacture of some these items are phased out--<em>just like happens with films</em> [emphasis, JDM]. Servicing them may prove a problem for both parts and people to work on them. Another issue for usability will come down to software compatibility between the camera and the future computers that process images.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I'd suggest that these are not only true of old digital cameras but lots of old cameras in general.<br /> Even point 2 about the memory, is really about media, not memory. The same question can be asked about the future availability of film as time goes by.<br /> Point 1 is universal to all old cameras, even a 1881 view camera, for example.<br /> As for point 3, lots of film cameras need batteries for which the substitutes are less than fully satisfactory. You can use a lot of zinc-air cells in the time it takes for a mercury battery to fail. Fortunately things like 2CR5 batteries are still available, even if not always sold at the local drugstore.<br /> Somehow we collector/users of modern film cameras muddle through, and I have no doubt that future collector/users of early digital cameras will do the same. With fewer mechanical parts they may well outwear many older film versions.</p>

<p>Minolta CLE. Any of the Leica M's. It's not that I wanted to own any of these - it's having gone without the experiance of shooting Kodachrome, Astia or any of the late, great bye-gone films in them. But then and again, perhaps I havn't missed much. I'm greatfull for the way my Minolta X-700's have served me.</p>

<p>Leica M6 with a 35mm lens mounted on it. Never bought one, never will. Just too expensive for a film camera. I have Nikon SLRs that take wonderful photos on film. Had a Canonet GIII QL17 when I was a teenager (was my mom's and she didn't use it). I prefer the SLR to the rangefinder for composition. </p>

<p>Owned and shot almost all of the Leicas: M3, M2, M4, M5, M6, M7, CL, Leicaflex Standard, SL, R4, R5, R6, R7, R8 and R9. Only regret is never owning a IIIg, what a classic SM camera! My first SLR was a Canon F-1, then F-1 new, A-1. Still own a Minolta CLE, Canonet G-III QL17. Only regret is never owning a Linhof Technika.</p>

<p><em>From what I've seen, the 10D is actually not that great. I'll have to look up that web page if I can find it.....</em></p>

<p>Say what?! As if.<br /> It was a ground-breaking camera for DSLRs. It was "only" $1500 when it debuted in 2003. Very sturdy build; great 6MP sensor as long as ISO was well under 800. A solid camera and one of the best of its class and time.<br>

<br /> A fine camera for its time and a GREAT ONE indeed. Have no idea where you might be coming from with those words.</p>

<p>Hi JDM,</p>

<p>With mechanical cameras the parts can be repaired even if worn. However, I suspect the ability to repair the electrical components on digital cameras may not be feasable just by the nature of the engineering. You might be able to swap the parts from another camera but finding NOS parts years after the camera's production could prove impossible.</p>

<p>It would be interesting see how the digital cameras fair with long term storage. will they start to gum up like mechanical cameras? Not to mention the batteries being left inside of them. Will Lithium batteries corrode like the other types? Plus atmospheric condition with moisture should take quite a toll on the materials inside the digital cameras.</p>

<p>I noted one Canon 300D user mentioned his sensor died after hard usage over seven years. I would expect this to be a norm for the electrical components.</p>

<p>These thoughts rest in the back of my mind since I am looking to get two Agfa rangefinder cameras overhauls so I can shoot with them.</p>

<p>CHEERS...Mathew</p>

<p>In 1976, when I was 20 years, I fallen in love with Minolta XD5, At that time I have to choose between the camera and Akai recorder GXC-39 ( which still I have ), I haven’t enough money to buy the camera which was cost $220 and the recorder about $300. So as a young boy I preferred to buy the recorder and enjoy with Engelbert humperdinck, Kenny Rogers<em>, </em>Bee gees, ABBA, Elton john, Bryan adams… and till now I didn’t even catch in my hand the Minolta XD5.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I saw the comment on the Canon 10D and could not resist relating my experience. The 10D was my first DSLR. As stated, it was one of the best in its class at the time. I learned using it with a 50mm 1.8, 24-85mm, 70-200mm 4.0L. It was great and I earned money with this equipment workking dog shows. Fast foward a decade (and many other Canon DSLRs). My 15 year old son wanted to photograph all the wildlife that shows up by our bird feeder...more thanr just birds since it abuts a forest. I gave him the above equipment along with a Tamrac bag, 420EX flash, extra battery, 2 2GB CF memory cards and a tripod. In his words.."it was a boss gift!" To my delight, he picked up the technology like a sponge and is having a ball. He knows how to download to computer, set up files, use Photoshop and ACDSee 4.0. He is figuring out manual setting to change the depth of field or to capture a moving subject. I am a happy dad...he is a great kid and I will spend time exposing him to more sophisticated equipment and techniques and my 50 years of photography experience.<br>

A great camera is any camera that works and can be utilized for the passion of photography. My hope is that my son's interest grows. He is welcome to use all of my equipment.</p>