Which Tripod?

peter_sanders2

<p>I have a Pentax K-20d and an 80-200mm/4 to name my heaviest combination, but plan on augmenting my system later with a 300mm/4.</p>

<p>What tripod should I get if I want:<br>

Variable leg angles,<br>

Effective support for my heaviest items,<br>

is cheap,<br>

and is a good size and weight for nature photography?</p>

<p>Also, I want to know what number should go here (in place of the underscore): Manfrotto 49_ RC2?<br>

Or is that even a good head lineup (or possibly make?) to choose from? If not, what head should I get fitting all applicable criteria for the legs? I prefer ball heads.</p>

<p>Thank you.</p>

<p>Do NOT go cheap on a ballhead. Spend the money. If you buy something cheap it will drive you crazy and you'll simply buy a good one a few months later. The ballhead is the most important part. Get an AcraTech, RRS, Kirk, Markins, etc. This is the place to put money.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>Basically any improvement over my DYNEX DX-NW080 will fail to drive me crazy. In that case that means a ball head that doesn't leak oil (which my current tripod doesn't) that will allow minimal shift My current tripod actually carved a (superficial, but making additional shift unavoidable) grove into my Vivitar V3800n with shift. I refuse to try it with my K20d until I can stop it before it starts.</p>

<p><strong><em>8</em></strong><br>

<strong><em> </em></strong><br>

I find that Adorama's website is a good place to do some research on Tripods & Heads.</p>

<p>I have the Bogen/Manfrotto 055XPROB Tripod and most often use the Bogen Midi Ball Head 498 w/RC2 with a Canon 50D, 100-400 & TC, as the "heavy set-up."<br>

I like it very well, . . . not too heavy to pack, easy to set up, capable of about any height, and I love the ability to use the center column horizontally for Macro work or from my Hide/blind.</p>

<p>Peter--</p>

<p>I speak from experience. I am a cheap Midwestern guy, but even I spent the money on a first class ballhead. Since I bought it, it's seen four camera bodies come and go. Buy a good one and keep it 10-15 years. For landscape etc., a good ballhead gives you the most value for dollar spent. The Bogen plates are notoriously poorly designed. Go for Arca Swiss type.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>Kent may be absolutely right!<br />For me anyways, I find the newer designed Bogen/Manfrotto plates lock secure when mounted correctly. However, they definately will not be secure when and if they are turned the wrong way. Which, BTW is easy enough to do! I got educated the hard way, but thank goodness, no harm done.<br />Here's a pretty good comparison, and a short read<br /><a href="http://www.shortcourses.com/guide/guide4-3.html">http://www.shortcourses.com/guide/guide4-3.html</a><br />Jim j.<br>

PS - Edit - The newer RC2 plates are not hexagonal in shape.</p>

<p>I would suggest buying one capable of supporting much more than the weight of your current and future anticipated heaviest body and lens. But remember, . . . you may, at times be carrying it considerable distance too!<br>

I also keep a monopod handy, and know that when I get that 800mm lens, I'll probably have to get another tripod and Gimbal mount! But, then to, . . . "I'll probably never see that 800mm!"</p>

<p>Couldn't agree more with kent and James. When it comes to support, invest in good equipment, done properly-it will be a one time event (save for upgrading later on to a Gimbal style head IF you eventually go with Super teles ). Above all else, get something rated beyond your current gear weight.</p>

<p>I still have my aluminum Bogen (now Manfrotto) w/ballhead from the late 80's. It has seen plenty of use and weathered A LOT of abuse (not all photography based) and performs as new. I don't use it much atm, having chosen a monopod for the majority of my 400mm work. I am in the market for a Gimbal head as I will be going with longer Focal lengths.</p>

<p>The risk to going "cheap" is frustration at the very least, from sticky, finicky and unstable movements-to damaging to your equipment should it become unstable or loose. Watching your camera drop to the ground because a base plate clamp didn't lock in properly can ruin an outing, or vacation.</p>

<p>If you do go with aluminum, and shoot during weather extremes, I highly recommend wrapping the upper legs with foam pipe insulation and tying it off with tie wraps. You can cover this with camo material or leave it black, it will save you from cold hands on winter treks and blend in better with your surroundings. </p>

<p>Randall</p>

<p>The Gitzo heads are OK, but I wouldn't buy one because I don't think their less expensive ones are Arca Swiss compatible. Yiyu can buy an A/S adapter, but by the time you do that you will have spent as much as what a Markins ballhead cost. Arca Swiss quick release is the way to go because it has become the industry standard. There are a lot more options.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>Hi,<br>

I have a 055 xprob tripod (manfrotto). Two of the three legs are padded and that should help in holding in cold weather. I got the 490 Ballhead. It does not come with attached release plate. I got the RC2 adaptor and release plates. However, I got lens creep with it in vertical position for 100 usm canon macro lens .<br>

It also got unlocked accidentally inspite of the fact that I was using the release plates with metal lip. I upgraded to a quick release clamp from kirkphoto and attached to the ballhead and got the custom release plates for my camera and lens. Its a much better solution than Bogen/ Manfrotto plates. The fit is more secure.<br>

I could have got the Kirk Ballheads, but that would be overkill for a Canon 400 mm f5.6 lens and a Gimbal would be better for a 500 or supertele (when and if I get them)<br>

I felt that the knob system was more reliable than lever system considering that there is lot of sand and dust where I shoot. The 490 has additional friction knob, which I find useful</p>

<p>I completely agree with Kent. Buy the best ballhead you can afford and you will never regret the purchase. Me - I have a Markins M20. It's a little overkill for my current equipment, but will be more than adequate if/when I add a much larger lens. In the meantime I'm enjoying its smooth as butter operation, and rock sold hold on my equipment.</p>

<p>Don't, do not, never skimp on your tripod, ballhead, mounting plates. Your investment in them will be much better than any investment you make in camera bodies, lenses, filters..... If you are posting this question in this forum, this is particularly important for you. I would suggest an Arca Swiss or Really Right Stuff ballhead and Gitzo carbon fiber tripod legs (as I have several and know these well). Of the 3 working tripods I have, the one that would best suit your need is my Gitzo MK1348 (I think this is about equivalent to a current G1325). In my opinion, don't get one with a center column. I have an Arca Swiss B1 ballhead, which would be about equivalent to the current Z1. Really Right Stuff also makes a nice ballhead - BH40 would be enough for you, BH-55 would have you ready for anything you'd do in the future. And then invest in the necessary Really Right Stuff or equivalent mounting plates. For me this works for up to my F5/D700 with a 500f4, although I use my bigger tripod if I'm just using the long lens. Getting this stuff will make you swallow a little hard because it costs some bucks. But once you do it, you will be set for years and you'll realize what a good investment it was.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Listen to what Rod had to offer - sound advice. Consider buying more than what you think you currently need because quality tripods and ball heads should last a life time. I have purchased three Arca-swiss Z1 ballheads and three Gitzo tripods (because I lost one tripod and ball head). My wife currently uses my OLD aluminum Bogen/Manfrotto tripod and a head that no one should use - just in our yard and the county. (It cost her/me $1600 dollars when she dropped her 100-400mm lens "after it was locked in place" on the Bogan tripod).<br>

I use the biggest/heaviest tripod that Gitzo offers (GT5531S carbon) and I turned over my GT3531S to my wife for her use. If I was going to buy another ball head it would probably be from Really Right Stuff, but the Markins, Kirk, and RRS are all very good - check the ball head weight on the Whimberley site. However, I am completely satisfied with the Z1 with manual adjustment ball head used with my 500mm F/4 lens and Whimberley sidekick.</p>

<p>Given that I don't want/need RC2 or any quick-release (which is true with a ball-head. "[...] buy whatever fits your budget. Rest assured that as you get serious, you'll probably end up with another tripod or two." I don't want to budget that much for a tripod at the moment.)</p>