Canon Thursday Photo 2011: #14

nathangardner

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I was hoping to get some shots of the Great Blue Herons, which have returned to their rookery in the nearby wetlands, when this Osprey took off and flew past me. I got a few shots in a quick burst, and this is one of the better of them. I had to crop in quite a bit, since he was still a bit too far off for the 100-300 lens, but all things considered, it was as good a shot as I got this past weekend.</p><div>00YWjl-345959584.jpg.0643547a8f64defd1f98809e02e5b736.jpg</div>

<p>spring has sprung........<br>

opening day festivities last friday afternoon....shot from atop the parking garage beyond centerfield....indians picked up right where they left off last year....the sox pounded the tribe 15-10</p>

<div>00YWl5-345989584.jpg.ba716fb11402251d17eab1cdeffd1401.jpg</div>

Larry,

Thanks for the compliment. I actually have two spots where I can always find wood ducks; in one spot (which is closer

to home) the ducks are very skittish and I have yet to get close enough for a good photo. The other spot (where this

photo was taken) was shown to me by a friend and is in a city park. The ducks here are still skittish but a little more

tolerant to humans. One thing I've found is that they're easier to photograph when you can find a single duck or a pair;

if they're in a group of 6 or 8 it's much more difficult because if just one duck gets nervous they will all fly away.

<p>Hey there!...this is my first post here on photo.net.<br>

This was taken yesterday with my Canon 5D here in London. So far it's been the sunniest day this year hitting a high of 18 degrees woah!...hehehe. I've started a visual diary of late after going to see an amazing street photography exhibition a few weeks ago I'm hoping it will increase my productivity and my skills and response times as generally I photograph a lot of static objects. Also I'm hoping it will increase my general nerve with this type of thing as I'm quite respective of people's personal space and never really get in close... I just cant seem to break that response in me... any ideas or suggestions are appreciated... I love the contrast in this shot.</p><div>00YWle-345997584.jpg.1b13787826746c94bdeaea4a20abb27f.jpg</div>

<p>Some Great shots as always. I'm always a fan of the birds, but this past weekend I had the first tulip in our yard come up, so that was soemthing I could bother and it not run away... maybe next week I'll try a little portraiture....</p>

<p>Rich</p><div>00YWlq-346005584.JPG.c583782206f6db4b811df8a54a2872e6.JPG</div>

<p>Messedup my attachment the first time...<br /> Last week I took my three year old to his first "real" hockey game - an ECHL game in Wheeling, WV. I took this one from the stands. This goal tied it up at 4 after the home team had a 4-0 lead. </p>

<ul>

<li>Camera: Canon Rebel T2i</li>

<li>Lens: Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 HSM I with Sigma 1.4x TC</li>

<li>ISO: 3200</li>

<li>Aperture: 4.0</li>

<li>Exposure: 1/2000</li>

<li>EV: +2/3</li>

</ul><div>00YWpf-346043684.jpg.7b775babf0da02003093cc0c6654c912.jpg</div>

<p>Trying for a little shadow detail in this shot of the Marin Headlands above the Golden Gate Bridge from two days ago, near sun set. I was driving to SFO to pickup my mom, who is visiting from Indiana.<br>

7D, 24-70 at 24mm, ISO 200, f/4, 1/125, -2/3 EC (my own IS, thus I had a little "underexposure room" at just ISO200 on the 7D, raw processed just fine).</p><div>00YWq3-346049584.jpg.3a4105aca02e66907766facda093b4be.jpg</div>

<p>Help guys, I can't tell which this pair are; Black Duck or Mottled Duck.<br>

Lots of great shots today;<br>

Nathan great wood duck.<br>

Mark K., I can't ever get all the detail in the highlights either, a Heron or Egret have to be the hardest bird to shoot in terms of exposure.<br>

Larry W. Great egret.<br>

Bill K., I love the Osprey with the sheepshead, got to be FL. right?<br>

Dan F. good catch.</p><div>00YWr9-346071584.JPG.0c7fd243939998112f14b2a57a79a321.JPG</div>

<p>Gene: The duck on the right looks to be an American Black Duck hen. The one on the left looks like a hybrid Mallard/American Black Duck drake.</p>

<p>Thanks for the compliment. That Egret was no more than 15 feet or so from me. I'd been watching it from the Wildlife Trail in my car, when it flew up and landed on my side of the water. I was behind a piece of guardrail, and it seemed to not notice me at all, as I snapped off a whole bunch of shots. I've got a couple full body shots where the bird is about 85% of the frame height (portrait, even).</p>

<p>I'm definitely going back to Forsythe!</p>