Canon Thursday Pic 2011: #8

nathangardner

<p>really like Brad's pool hall shot and also Mark's ostrich portrait.....nice work guy's</p>

<p>i spent about 3 hours in tinkers creek gorge yesterday and snapped this one at one of my favorite stops right below buttermilk falls....lots of downed trees and large branches from the ice storms this winter</p><div>00YHZ1-335199884.jpg.98ba7dafda84b2cc438c2b7f8cfee70e.jpg</div>

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>ISO 3200 on the 7D can be very clean. I only use ACR 6 to process my raws, including noise reduction. However, reducing a 18MP image to a tiny 700 px Web display image for this forum in itself provides a level of "noise reduction" too. (But still, my prior 40D at ISO 3200 is nearly unusable.)</p>

<p>Your photos: <br /> Nathan - nice use of the 85L on the dog. Excellent.<br /> Brad - B&W interior pool, bar shot from the notorious SF 'hood is pretty good.<br /> Albert - looks like stage 1 thrusters of the Saturn V; excellent POV, Wally Schirra, Apollo 7. Wally flew Mercury, Gemini, & Apollo. What a man.<br /> James - proud poodle!<br /> DS M - flower could be sharper, camera movement? Wind? Or not enough sharpen in post?<br /> Tony C - image link broken (maybe blocked here - picturesocial.com)<br /> Horse - very pretty sunset over the lake & pier<br /> Jeff - gritty as usual, this time in L.A.<br /> Lupo - iconic foodie photog you are! Fun. Yum<br /> Spencer - delish pizza pie! Yum too.<br /> Indy - no photo, broken link? Or maybe your site blocked?<br /> David C - old, color roof house from France seemingly lost in the weeds<br /> Andre - nice stark B&W coverage child portrait with a great pose!<br /> Alex - humor, candy, fake sadness - buy this sugar for me please! LOL, well done.<br /> Mark K - tired dog, all chill, and narrow DOF; cool.<br /> Karen W - another "sparse" child portrait all active totally white-out background - nicely done with your technical studio skill.<br /> John H - deep B&W study of guitar player close-up on the strings, wonderful.<br /> Mark K - that ostrich! Again? Humorous to say the least. Something about those birds.<br /> Bueh - well done again; you know your craft and your subjects so well. Great work.<br /> Dan P - photo of an EOS photog; as it is, documentary style.<br /> Kerri - no photo. ?<br /> Robert C - intentional blur, striving for an effect on Philly?<br /> Stijn - Lock, Stock, & 2 Smoking Barrels ehh? Friends? Enemies? Bill collectors?<br /> Harry J - my man! ;-) Crisp, clear Miami Beach scene with nice"Rules" elements in effect. late afternoon? Slight tilt on the horizon.</p>

<p>That was just the first page (the first 25 who posted)</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Oso the Chihuahua letting a newcomer to the dog park know who the boss is. Pretty much the standard greeting from Oso. Some one abandoned Oso at the dog park and he was taken home by one of the regulars who has now found Oso a permanent home. Oso is now King of the dog park. Canon Xsi Vivitar 100-300 Zoom f/8 1/1000 ISO 400</p><div>00YHd7-335245584.jpg.c07ce3be19ac18bf5938f0a54d9833d2.jpg</div>

<p>There was very uncertain weather in Yosemite, but a couple of the wack-meisters and I decided to chance it and go up Sunday and try for the "firefall" on Horsetail. It happenned for me on Tuesday. The falls were barely running, there was very little breeze, but the sun peeped through the clouds at just the right time. The woman who was singing "You Are My Sunshine" made it all happen.<br>

5D2, Tokina 500 zoom @ ~275mm, f5.6, 1/60, ISO 800</p><div>00YHd9-335245684.jpg.40c19ea1dca0f5bd857fcc11d31cea56.jpg</div>

<p><a title="Last Train Out by Dean Schreuder, on Flickr" href=" Last Train Out src="http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5054/5470536820_08111709c4_z.jpg" alt="Last Train Out" width="640" height="427" /></a><br>

<strong>Last Train Out performing at Rockford High School, Rockford, MI. (2/5/2011)</strong></p>

<p>Camera: Canon EOS 7D<br />Lens: Canon 17-55mm F2.8 IS USM EF-S<br />Exposure Mode: Manual<br />Exposure: 0.017 sec (1/60)<br />Aperture: f/5.0<br />Focal Length: 20 mm<br />ISO Speed: 2000<br />Exposure Bias: 0 EV<br />Flash: Off, Did not fire</p>

<p>Ken,<br>

I shot it at ISO 100, f/8 and 1/160s with the EF-S 55-250IS. It was a fairly windy afternoon, so that's my guess. General sharpening in post with PSE7 was applied.<br>

I guess I should have shot at ISO200 and had a higher shutter speed.<br>

Thanks for asking.<br>

DS</p>

<p>Read-winged blackbird sings on cattails:</p>

<p><a title="Red-winged blackbird in cattails by dcstep, on Flickr" href=" Red-winged blackbird in cattails src="http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5212/5466737770_90a917c8ae_b.jpg" alt="Red-winged blackbird in cattails" width="1024" height="1024" /></a></p>

<table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" width="100%">

<tbody>

<tr >

<th>Camera</th>

<td><a href="http://www.flickr.com/cameras/canon/eos_7d/">Canon EOS 7D</a></td>

</tr>

<tr >

<th>Exposure</th>

<td>0.001 sec (1/1000)</td>

</tr>

<tr >

<th>Aperture</th>